Replacing Factory Door Speakers - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Audio/Video Systems

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Help Me Choose a Factory Door Speaker Replacement
Infinity Reference 6032cf (or 6032si) 13 68.42%
Polk Audio DB651 (or DB651s) 6 31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

samwongbc is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Default Help Choosing Replacement Door Speakers

Both of my door speakers have blown. I know there are better options out there but I've short-listed my replacements to these 2 options as I want to do the minimal amount of modifications to the door/basket:

- Infinity Reference 6032cf $56.48
- Polk Audio DB651 (and DB651s) $63.75

I think there is less work to install the Infiniti speakers whereas there are some slight modifications to fit in the Polk Audio (not sure about the slim mount version).
1993 Stealth R/T Turbo: 3SI decal #0269, K&N Aircharger, Kormex transmission, PST carbon fiber driveshaft, Dave Best polished spark plug cover, Cardone rebuilt ECU, Eagle GT tires, Evo 8 oil cap, Shark Attack 2 antenna, Blox Platinum shift knob, PIAA Super Silicone wipers. Coming: Infinity Reference speakers.

Pics

Last edited by samwongbc; 09-20-2012 at 10:52 AM.
samwongbc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 02:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Re: Replacing Factory Door Speakers

Based on the poll results (3-0 as of today), I ordered the Infinity Reference 6032cf today from Amazon for $45.75. They are backordered. But for that price, I can wait a few days.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 93 3000GT VR-QUATTRO
CHRIS75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews

I am also going with Infinities but i may get the Kappas for the doors just have to make sure they fit there ( Kappa 63.9i ) and tha's just after searching for input on them, never heard them before.

F1 ... Where Nascar & Indi Drivers Dream To Compete
CHRIS75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 03:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

The Kappas look nice. You might need to make a minor modification.
http://www.3si.org/forum/6265974-post12.html
Old 10-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Paid Member

Drives: 1998 3000GT VR4
njcubs4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Good price, good quality for the price, easy install with mounting bracket included
njcubs4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
FOCO to Wyo

Drives: 95 VR4, 98 SR5
Thourun is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Just got a set of the 6032cf off amazon and got one hooked up today.

Anyone getting these needs to know they do NOT come with ANY hardware except the foam padding and mounting bracket. You will need 8 more small screws and I am not sure why infinity would neglect this.. Ohh well bad review for them on the zon.

I am now wondering if 60w RMS is too much for the stock amp under the seat. Anyone else feel the need to upgrade after these?
Not stock: ESP no precat downpipe, test pipe, Guted rear pre cat, EGR delete, RF-1008 K&N, Dejon Y pipe, slightly smooshed 1st Gen DSM BOV, NGK iridium plugs @ .028", MSD wires, Plam logger, ISSPRO EV Marine boost gauge, IPO MBC @15, SPEC stage 2 clutch, 5300k HIDs, Ground wires.
Thourun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: '94 Black VR4
jordache16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS75 View Post
I am also going with Infinities but i may get the Kappas for the doors just have to make sure they fit there ( Kappa 63.9i ) and tha's just after searching for input on them, never heard them before.
I just ordered the Kappa 63.9i for both doors and the 693.9i 6x9s for the rear. Total price was about $200.00 from Amazon, they should be in next week. I've always been partial to Eclipse (in my high school days anyways) but seeing as they're no longer around (at least in the same form that they used to be) I decided to go with the Infinities.

Have any of you guys been able to find replacements for the dash 2.5" speakers? One of mine is blown and the other one isn't too far behind. I have found them listed on various mitsubishi OEM parts web sites but I am skeptical as to whether or not they actually have them in stock as I have read that these speakers are very hard to find and/or do not exist anymore. I guess I will find out soon enough as I placed an order for two of them on discountmitsubishiparts.com just to see what happens. In the mean time I simply disconnected the dash speakers so they don't make the whole system sound like hell.
jordache16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

DGMAX99 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.3si.org/gallery/showphoto...9&ppuser=47909

Here’s a pic of the Infinity 63.7i 3-ways I installed in my 98 model. I don’t remember all the details but I don’t remember it requiring a lot of mods. I did have to space the stock grill out a little to provide clearance for the tweeter/mid stack. I them trimmed it with some black tubing readily available from Lowes (visible around the edge of the grill).
DGMAX99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: '94 Black VR4
jordache16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMAX99 View Post
Door Speaker Installation Mod - 3000GT/Stealth International Photo Gallery

Hereís a pic of the Infinity 63.7i 3-ways I installed in my 98 model. I donít remember all the details but I donít remember it requiring a lot of mods. I did have to space the stock grill out a little to provide clearance for the tweeter/mid stack. I them trimmed it with some black tubing readily available from Lowes (visible around the edge of the grill).
Nice. Thanks for the pics. Do you have the factory HU still? If so, how do your new speakers sound with it? I have heard people say aftermarket speakers can be too 'soft' and aren't very loud when driven off the factory HU.

Also, I noticed that after I disconnected the dash tweeters, the door speakers do not put out hardly any treble at all. Is this b/c there is a built in crossover on the factory door speakers? Or is it crossed over at the HU? It also could be just that my door speakers are worn out.
jordache16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

DGMAX99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stock system, no issues with the door speakers, or dash, which I have also replaced with Infinity's. I'm pretty sure my rears could use replacement due to the shear age, but they still sound great and don't rattle. My 3000 only has a little over 21K miles and has been kept sheltered (98 SL model). I realize that has little to do with the surrounds rotting tho...
DGMAX99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Audio/Video Systems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.