Can this radio be modified for line outputs? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Audio/Video Systems

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: red car & black car
Beau_Jester is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Default Can this radio be modified for line outputs?

Geetings;

As the header states, can this radio (MB942704) be modified for line outputs?

I like the unit overall, but it needs more power. I added a speaker level to line level converter to drive some excelon power amps and kappa speakers, but it is noisier than I would prefer. If I could get inside and solder in some line level RCA outputs for LR front, LR rear is would reduce the signal to noise ratio and make it easy to add a fader control and separate EQ.

If this can't be modified, which stock radios can be and still retain 6 CD changer control and cassette player?

note to Dave57: I hope you don't mind that I borrowed your picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Can this radio be modified for line outputs?-radio-1.jpg  

Last edited by Beau_Jester; 11-18-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Beau_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Audio Fanatic

Drives: '95 3000GT NA
hdorre is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Default Re: Can this radio be modified for line outputs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau_Jester View Post
Geetings;

As the header states, can this radio (MB942704) be modified for line outputs? YES

I like the unit overall, but it needs more power. I added a speaker level to line level converter to drive some excelon power amps and kappa speakers, but it is noisier than I would prefer. Please define "noisier." Do you mean audibly loud, more 'staticy', or lots of engine noise? How were the gains set on the LOC and amps? Did you use an oscilloscope or tool like the SMD DD-1?

If I could get inside and solder in some line level RCA outputs for LR front, LR rear is would reduce the signal to noise ratio and make it easy to add a fader control and separate EQ. Does this unit already have a the ability to fade? If so, that function will be retained if you use a LOC. To equalize, youd need an aftermarket EQ. Theyre cheap, but most are either 1/2 or single DIN, so youd need to find a spot for it. Your HU is double din, so there wouldnt be any room on the dash.
hdorre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 93 3000GT VR-QUATTRO
CHRIS75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews

So will you be doing this? I have the same radio so post up results if you do this.

F1 ... Where Nascar & Indi Drivers Dream To Compete
CHRIS75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Minnesota 3/S

Drives: 95 RT TT
chevelle5434 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Line-Out Converters & Hi-Lo Adapters at Sonic Electronix

Line out converter, you tie it into your speaker wires which gives you an RCA connection for an amp. You will have to tie it in to the speaker wires under your passenger seat after the amp. A simple search on google will tell you what color wires are for what speaker.

I did this in my na 3000 ran a 300 watt amp and 10 inch sub with it wired this exact way.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Preserve a 3S

Drives: '95 RT/TT
Dave57 Level 1Dave57 Level 1Dave57 Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau_Jester View Post
Geetings;

As the header states, can this radio (MB942704) be modified for line outputs?

I like the unit overall, but it needs more power. I added a speaker level to line level converter to drive some excelon power amps and kappa speakers, but it is noisier than I would prefer. If I could get inside and solder in some line level RCA outputs for LR front, LR rear is would reduce the signal to noise ratio and make it easy to add a fader control and separate EQ.

If this can't be modified, which stock radios can be and still retain 6 CD changer control and cassette player?

note to Dave57: I hope you don't mind that I borrowed your picture.
Evan asked me about this a few years back and was successful in doing it. But I'm not sure on if the signal is (was) strong enough because there looks to be a second pre amp in the output ic's.

I see your point on not wanting loc's, why take an output from a component specked with potentially a 10% thd output..Basically Identify the output ic's in the radio. They will be mounted to a heat sink. Then take their part numbers and look up the ic's via google search for their specks and pin info.

On the attached IC data sheet from which I had to delete 2 pages because of 3si's attachment size bs. (I believe it's from the 315w mitsu amp) it looks like pin 2 and 4 are inputs to the output ic. Post up with the results. And try to measure the voltage in to the ic. Make sure you use a good meter that doesn't load down the circuit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TA8254H_PARTIAL_DATA_SHEET.pdf (78.7 KB, 41 views)
Smokin corner box JL W3. 99 lights & fogs w/Hid's . Bridgestone RE050A skins. Member #846 6/01

99SL Black (Deb) The first actual 99 Digital Climate Control Conversion Oct. 04, 05, & 06 Quickening "Best Stock"
Dave57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Preserve a 3S

Drives: '95 RT/TT
Dave57 Level 1Dave57 Level 1Dave57 Level 1

Note that the primary use of the ic above is for 2 ohm.

Now if you look at the output IC above and multiply 5x45 it equals 315w. there's 3 ic's in the mitsu amp consisting of 6 ch and the last one only has one side of it used.

Dave57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Audio/Video Systems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.