Can I hook up a bass tube to stock radio? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Audio/Video Systems

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2003, 04:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
GOD

Drives: Like an asshole
2Mitsus is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Default Can I hook up a bass tube to stock radio?

I've just acquired a Bazooka tube very cheaply (well free actually courtesy of Dano from 3SI), and was wondering how to go about hooking it up on my 91 Stealth. The factory stock stereo is the AM/FM/CD/Cassette player, in seperate components. There are no RCA Preamp outs on the back of the radio, however I haven't checked if the stock amp has any.

Any suggestions? I'm not going to buy additional components, unless it's just misc stuff such as cables, jacks, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2003, 05:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Trogdor strikes again!

Drives: 2004 Audi S4
WARdriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Default Re: Can I hook up a bass tube to stock radio?

Is it the amplified or unamplified one?
Old 11-29-2003, 07:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
GOD

the tube has it's own amp, I believe
2Mitsus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2003, 09:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hile, gunslingers!

Drives: Like I stole it.
golfpro is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Mitsus
the tube has it's own amp, I believe
I installed the Infinity Basslink in my wife's car last summer using the speaker level inputs. I'm assuming the Bazooka would have a similar setup. For non-fading bass it was an 8-wire deal involving splicing into the left/front/rear and right/front/rear speaker wires at the back of the head unit.

Ran a power line from the battery and grounded the unit to the chassis in the rear hatch.

RCA's make it a whole lote easier, but yes you can hook up a tube to the stock h/u.

-golfpro
'98 Saturn SL, white (winter beater)
'93 Ford Ranger, red (203,000 miles and still ticking)

The 3000GT & Stealth Audio FAQ

Thanks to Keith Upton for permission to use one of his excellent photographs in my avatar. For some of the best photogaphy on this website, car or otherwise, search "Mobo" in the A/V Forum.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2003, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Live 2 Ride, Ride 2 Live!

Drives: 95 3000GT SL
shuman3000GT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Mitsus
I've just acquired a Bazooka tube very cheaply (well free actually courtesy of Dano from 3SI), and was wondering how to go about hooking it up on my 91 Stealth. The factory stock stereo is the AM/FM/CD/Cassette player, in seperate components. There are no RCA Preamp outs on the back of the radio, however I haven't checked if the stock amp has any.

Any suggestions? I'm not going to buy additional components, unless it's just misc stuff such as cables, jacks, etc.

Thanks in advance!
You can do it. You will need a line output converter. You will need to splice into one of the rear speakers and connect the loc to it and then run the rca from it to the amp. For the remote on power for the amp you can splice into the cigarette lighter and run a 14 or 16 gauge wire to the amp. You will need to run the power wire from the battery and ground it to the chassis. If you need any more help let me know. I just hooked up my brothers Honda Accord Coupe and my friends Cadillac Seville, both with stock HU.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Grammar cop

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T
Lord Warlock Level 3Lord Warlock Level 3Lord Warlock Level 3Lord Warlock Level 3Lord Warlock Level 3Lord Warlock Level 3Lord Warlock Level 3
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

The bazooka can use either the rca inputs or speaker level inputs to hook it up. You can tap into one of the rear speaker leads to hook it up with, or just run new wires from the harness. Since it is amplified it won't be drawing much power from the others.
Bazooka recommends that you use the speaker level inputs over the rca jacks.

91 Stealth TT Stillen Intake, Stillen DP, DN Y Pipe, HKS EVC IV, GReddy BOV, Burlwood Dash kit, New Katzkins, OEM Short Block, RPS Max Street Clutch, Denso 310lph fuel pump, 13G Turbos, Borla exhaust, 550 DR Injectors, HKS SAFC, 2 gauge pod CF A/F gauge, autometer boost gauge. Custom vented blisters, New Valves, rebuilt heads, timing belt, new bearings and pistons. 35k invested.
Other cars: 1969 charger R/T SE, 2010 Challenger R/T 5.7 auto
Lord Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2003, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hile, gunslingers!

Drives: Like I stole it.
golfpro is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Warlock
The bazooka can use either the rca inputs or speaker level inputs to hook it up. You can tap into one of the rear speaker leads to hook it up with, or just run new wires from the harness. Since it is amplified it won't be drawing much power from the others.
Bazooka recommends that you use the speaker level inputs over the rca jacks.
Question. By tapping in to the rear speaker leads only, will the bass fade as the front/rear balance is adjusted? Not sure if that would be an issue for you, 2Mitsus.

I suppose if you're a "set and forget" person like me, you would set up your preferred fader setting, tweak the bass up (or down) using the gain/boost control on the tube and roll on.

I assume the installation I used in my wife's car (tapping into both front AND rear speaker wires at the head unit) produced "non-fading bass.

-golfpro
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2003, 05:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
GOD

www.sasbazooka.com

I found the wiring instructions on their site. Yes, I don't need the rca plugs, I can just tap into the speaker wires.
I would assume that by tapping into the rear wires only, that I would be able to turn the tube "on and off" by using the fader, but I'm not sure it would "fade" the bass; since according to the instructions the tube will come on when it senses a signal. I have just about everything wired and ready to go, except for the fact I'm still waiting on my battery relocation kit,so I haven't been able to test everything out yet.

I'll let you guys know how it goes, thanks for the help!
2Mitsus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2003, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Meet the twins

Drives: 98 VR4 and 92 FWD TT
maddux317 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

If you just tap into one of the rear outputs, you should be able to fade it (quieter faded to front, louder faded to the back). This is really helpful with stock speakers sometimes, because they can't play loud enough to be heard over the bass. At least, thats a problem for me. lol. Maybe I'll get some door/rear speakers some time.
15g's | PTE 550's | Walbro 255 | Apexi SAFC w/ Boomslang Harness | Maximal Performance Solid F/R Mounts | Stillen Downpipe | MSD Superconductor 8.5s | JIC Y-Pipe | Old school ProBoost MBC | EVOScan Logger (logging knock on OBDII baby!) | Kazera KZ-A 18x8.5's | Yokahoma AVS ES100 Tires

1/8: 7.9 @ 90 MPH, 1.9 60' (pos stock clutch)
-------------
1990 Mustang GT - not stock - Gone but never forgotten.....
-------------
1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT SLTT - Formerly the SLSC - My first love (15g 10:1 TT Conversion) - Part out stopped - Returning to NA
-------------
Old setup (worn 9b's, broken motor mounts, M&S tires, 6 psi) 1/8: 9.3 @ 85 MPH
maddux317 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2003, 06:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Surf's Up!

PrimeUser is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I've got one! It fits perfectly in the little spot behind the back seats.

I've got the 30watt 8-inch tube, hooked up to the rear speakers. It adds a nice little punch to the techno/trance I normally listen to.

'92 Pearl White Stealth R/T TT K&N FIPK, Custom ColdAirBox, SS Downpipe, Borla catback, Greddy Profec B Spec II, Autometer boost gauge & pod, Gtech Pro Competition, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Kormex-built 25-Spline tranny/transfercase, RPS StreetMax Clutch, GourmetGarage GroundWire Kit, Veilside Front Bumper, Cianci Victory Hood, AeroGear Sniper Wing, Custom Mirrors, Volk Racing Challenge 18X9,
PrimeUser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Audio/Video Systems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.