Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Antenna mast replacement, mast is stuck

6K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Blahman 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm going through the Stealth 316 guide on replacing the power antenna: Stealth 316 - Power Antenna

I've got a replacement OEM mast and have taken out the interior trim, but my old antenna mast is stuck about 6 inches out.

Should I try using more force to pull it out (potentially damaging it) or should/can I remove the antenna motor with the mast still in place?

#4 ·
Well I've completely disassembled it and there are no broken off pieces in there, just the bit you see when I shove it all the way in. And the mast still won't come out. I don't see how 44 inches of the ribbon could be hiding anywhere in there so I'm guessing someone else has messed with it and it's junk now. Going to toss it and find a replacement.

#5 ·
Ok I found the rest of the plastic strip coiled up in the big white ring piece that I overlooked when I was taking it apart.

Cleaned all the parts and now working on getting the old mast out, made some good progress by putting WD40 on the mast where it enters the housing, letting it sit for a bit and then pulling on the end repeatedly. It's on the last (largest) section and it is really stuck in there.

#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
I agree with KnockingStealth, you should just buy a new mast (which comes with the white plastic piece) since you've gone this far and taken it all apart.

The procedure to install the new mast is with the motor assembly in place so you can put it all back in car while waiting for the mast to arrive.

#8 ·
I already have a replacement mast, the problem is getting the old one out. It doesn't look bent or anything but I'm guessing the lowest piece is corroded to the housing tube. It just won't budge. Will probably need to cut and drill it out.

#11 ·
Well I finally got the motor reinstalled and it's working fine, now the fun part of putting the interior (including the 10-disc changer) back together...

The machine shop had to use a reamer bit to drill out the base of the old antenna mast, which had either corroded or been cemented solidly to the housing tube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.