the how to on how to do the digital climate control conversion. - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > 3SI Knowledge Base > 3SI wikipedia Discussions > How-to's

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2003, 03:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Electrical Whiz

Drives: Topless!
3000SL95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Default the how to on how to do the digital climate control conversion.

well guys its 1 am and i finally have some free time. so heres the how to on how to do the digital conversion.
first off can tell you that it helps to find a donor car, such as a crashed tt or a 1st gen r/t or sl, becuase buying parts from a dealer can be expensive. I got my parts from the stealth r/t i'm parting out.

Heres where to find the part on a donor car.

1. digital control panel(center of dash in plain sight)
2. digital computer control box.(located right behind the digital control panel)
3.inside/outside air selection motor( far right side of dash, right behind the passenger side a/c vent)
4. heat/cool selection motor(located behind the digital comptuer control box)
5. vent selector motor(located to the right of the steering column)
6. inside air temp sensor(located in the center of the headliner in plain sight)
7. exterior air temp sensor(located in the white plastic a/c blower box, sensor is just to the left of the inside/outside air selection motor)
8. engine coolant sensor(located below the heat/ac motor in the heating box, sensor has a small clip holding it in, make sure to save this clip)
9. photocell sensor(located on top of the dash near the windshield in the far right defroster vent)
10. power transistor(located to the right of the heat/ac motor in the black heating box)
11. heat/ac motor control arm(small metal piece that connects the heat/ac motor arm to the heat/ac damper, held onto the heat box with one screw surrounded by a white circle of plastic.
12. both wiring harnesses(first harness runs directly from the control panel to the control computer. the second harness runs from the control computer to all of the sensors, motors and wires needed to control the system.
13. 2 white plastic clips(clips that connect the bar from the vent selector and the air source selector motors to the dampers)

Removal from donor car
1. remove the dash and center console from the car
2. once you've doen this you can pretty much unscrew all unclip all the motors and sensors you need. when you unplug sensors and motors, label what each remaining plug was for. and label each sensor.
3. remove the harness, this is the hard part because you need to remove lots of tape and then trace all the wires from the harness to the connectors for sensors. while removing the harness you will find wires that don't run to the previously mentioned parts. try to trace those wires as far as possible them cut them, except for two wires which run to a black harness thats connect to a box thats called a controller comp(it will be attached to the passnger side underdash cover), cut all wires from this harness except the two coming from the main harness.
4. as you remove the harness, try to locate what certain wires do before cutting them, it will help later.
5. once you've finished step 4 you should have everythign i listed in the parts section, if not go back and find what your missing.
6. you now have all the parts you need to do one of the most expensive mods in 3/s history.

Installation
1. before installing your parts, get a wire guide for the full auto a/c and the manual a/c, this guide will help you find otu excatly what the extra wires are for and what they connect to. if you don't know how to read daigrams, its time to learn cuz they will help a ton.
2. after readin diagrams its time to get to business, the first step is to completley remove the glovebox from your car and loosen your center console.
3. next remove the analog control panel, in order to do so you will need to remove three metal cables running to the locations where each motor is to be placed. you will also need to remove a small box called the auto comp controller, its right behind the glovebox.
4. next you can mount the motors and sensors in their locations, everything is pretty much the same between the donor car and your cars' sensor spots. all sensors can mostly just plug ion and clip into holes except for the exterior air temp sensor wich u will have the drill out the hole for it since the hole is sealed on the models with analog a/c.. and you may need to make a hole in the headliner for the interior temp sensor on the models without sunroofs, all the models with manual sunroofs have a panel that pops out of the plastic near the crank(yea for all you that wondered what the panel was for, its for the interior temp sensor)

5. well at this point you should have all the sensors, controls and motors installed. now is where u need to start connecting the wires. this step i can't really guide anyone through because wires are a different color on different years. my donor parts came from a 91-92 r/t and were transfered into a 94-95 sl. so if you have wire questions i can answer them but the harness is the hard part and looking at wiring diagrams for the digital and analog systems will indefinetly help.
6. once you have it all connected nows the moment of truth, start your car and hopefully your screen will light up and will be fully functional.

7. now put it all back together and thats it, you've joined the very very few with this mods. now go brag to your friends that you can control the temp of your car with buttons.

if anyone has any questions feel free to pm me of respond to my post.

yup and its now 3:45am, it was 1am when i started this post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg control panel and comp-2.jpg (80.1 KB, 1852 views)

1995 Vr4 Spyder purchased 3/01/05 Completely Stock. currently pushing 357 AWHP
3000SL95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2003, 03:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Electrical Whiz

here is the main wires harness, the oen that connects to all the sensors and motors. i labeled everythign with masking tape to easily identify my plugs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg main harness.jpg (88.0 KB, 1556 views)
Old 07-03-2003, 04:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Electrical Whiz

analog control panel and the auto comp controller, the two pieces that were removed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original parts.jpg (23.7 KB, 1456 views)
Old 07-03-2003, 04:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Electrical Whiz

heres what my interior looked like during the process, as you can tell there are a lot of wires that you are working with for this conversion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg int messy.jpg (78.4 KB, 1598 views)
Old 07-03-2003, 04:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Electrical Whiz

heres where the interior temp sensor mounts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg int temp.jpg (29.6 KB, 1332 views)
Old 07-03-2003, 04:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Electrical Whiz

heres a closeup shot of the exterior air temp sensor, in order to put this sensor in you need to drill out the plug in the plastic where the sensor clicks in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ext air temp.jpg (27.0 KB, 1342 views)
Old 07-03-2003, 04:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Electrical Whiz

and for those of you that think the digital controls look kinda ugly with the purple screen, heres my twist on that, i painted the main piece silver and i changed the purple plastic to a lighty tinted piece of black plastic. it matches my silver and black color theme very well and it looks so much better than purple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg painted panel.jpg (35.7 KB, 1697 views)
Old 07-03-2003, 10:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
3Si Corporate Shareholder

Drives: women crazy
PRODIGY3000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Well I'm going to congratulate you again for undertaking and completing probably one of the biggest PITA pojects in 3S history. You're so lucky you had a donor car. If not then you're better off not even trying...

Again, nice job. Is this a first BTW?
PRODIGY3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2003, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: Midsize sedan
Macky Level 1Macky Level 1
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

likewise, this has got to be the one that gets the cake. its fun enough just thinking of changing the stock a/c components. kudos to you man!

hey prodigy, seen the chick ive been ranting before?
Old 07-03-2003, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
I've been here way too long

Drives: Small Block Chevys
Venom13132 Level 1Venom13132 Level 1
Feedback Score: 113 reviews

damn dude that was quite the job. I know a good junk yard to find these parts at if anyone wants to do this. I could possibly hook them up with parts.

Current Cars: 1995 RX-7 LS1; 2003 Avalanche Z71; 1994 Miata MX-5; 92 Stealth R/T
Venom13132 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > 3SI Knowledge Base > 3SI wikipedia Discussions > How-to's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.