review of 3SX poly mounts - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Ratings/Reviews > Product reviews

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2006, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Go get bent

Drives: Just a NA
LUSTFUL is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default review of 3SX poly mounts

Finally I did it and can quit bitching. I will have to apologize, I didn't take pics during the install. Matt wanted to "go for the record" since the fastest install time I could find was 2 hours (this was all inspired by the fact that we dropped my tranny, removed the clutch, installed a new clutch and inspected the bellhousing, installed tranny, and bled the lines in like 2 hours and 5 minutes or something to that effect! ).

So this time around it was a no messing around ordeal, install time was exactly 1 hour and 26 minutes! We were moving. So install wise it was a peice of cake, other than the fact that the bolts that hold the mount down are fricking loooonnngg!! It took forever to get them out. But access to all of the bolts on the front mount were a cinch. I had to take the starter out to actually remove the mount, and then install the new one and done! The rear mount was a bit more tough, but nothing unusual. Everyone recommended we take off the plenum, yeah that didn't happen. Just a few extensions, cracked them all loose and broke the center bolt loose and it was out. We only had to move my throttle cable, brake booster vacuum line and my selenoids out of the way to remove the rear. Jack up the the motor a bit installed the new mount and tightened it all back down. Shit we didn't even need a compressor to break the bolts loose. The old mounts weren't as bad as I expected, but they were on the way out. The still had the form of a motor mount, but the rubber was cut up and you could see where the motor could flex and compress the mounts. I was not pleased to say the least.
So review time. I am impressed. But I was scared shitless when I first started it up. There was all kinds of vibration through the chassis I thought I seriously messed something up with all the noise that was going on. Then at low idle it was very vibrational in the cabin area. Is this a fairly normal experience for these mounts? I was not expecting this much of a race car feel with these mounts. Comments on this?
So we took it out for a test drive and I was very impressed. Normally I have traction loss in first, and chirp second hardcore. All kinds of traction in first now, and second still chirps really hard. (New tires may have helped this out a bit I don't know for a fact which is the real cause, but I would still smoke first with the old mounts and these new tires just when rolling and punching it in first.) The car feels faster than it ever has in my opinion. I still see it having a bit more left in it myself but I am trying to get some good gas into it and see if it makes a bit more timing. On that note has anyone had any issues by going to solid or polys with timing being pulled from the extra vibration occuring? All in all I say this is a great product, and I am pleased with the effects. I would say the vibration in the chassis is just a tiny bit too much for some peoples taste ( I don't mind it, but passengers think shit is going to blow up!), however by raising my idle back up to 1000-1100 range has really helped to smooth that out. Sorry for the long post but comments on my two questions are much appreciated!
-Jon

Quote:
Hey bois duz dis ebay chip work make mah whip teh fasterest?
LUSTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
3SX FTL

Drives: Viciously
Struggly Level 1Struggly Level 1
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Default Re: review of 3SX poly mounts

Yep, everything you're saying sounds right. You won't notice the vibration after a few days.

Motor mount replacement is one of those jobs that gets a reputation for being difficult. But it's a fairly easy and straightforward job, even on a TT.

Clint
1995 3000GT VR-4 but real niggaz don't give a fuck: V1, comprehensive denastificizzle, vishizzous accessory biznelt mod, K&N, Greddy Profec B S-P-to-tha-izzec II, S-AFC, Walbro 341, DSM 450s, n AEM UEGO; battery relocizzle K-R-to-tha-izzank Vents, EK2MFG fizzle rizzle loop n plenum spaca, lethal_vr4 manual gang bangin' rizzay, SKVR4 AWS delete, polyurethane motor mounts, adjustable control arms, SS brakes lines, n EGR blockoffs; Custom brakes lines wit cockpit-mounted adjustable proportion'n valve, 332mm Stoptechs, Carbotech Brotha Plus/Porterfield Rizzle ATE Pusha Blue, OZ Gang Bangin' F1 Plus 17x9.5 +36mm, Yokohama AVS ES100 275/40/17, Tein Fizzle w/EDFC n SCE Casta/Camba Plates, SCE oilpan, DSM sidemounts, DN Precat Eliminizzles 13G/9B combo (9psi springs), J-spec final drive, RPS flyhweel n Spec II clutch, IPO propane, ATR downpipe, tizzest pipe, n Single Shot

1987 BMW e30 325is: Bilsteins/H&R, VERY solid motor mounts, pointless bullshit deleted

1994 Mazda Protege DX (retired): 296K miles, DOHC 1.8L swap, rear disc brake conversion, poorly-designed header, some cheap-ass suspension upgrades, Carbotech XP8/AX6, 15x7 +30 Kazera KZ-M w/ Avon Tech Ra slicks, other crap here and there (like an air filter that doesn't have 1/4 of a million miles), arguably the fastest piece of shit in New England and no one can do anything about it
Struggly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2006, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Loves Me

Drives: 1995 Stealth RT/TT
PianoMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

Sweet man. I thought about those ones myself

How did you reraise your idle?

Currently Driving:

2006 Range Rover Supercharged on 24's
2005 Cadillac STS4 on 22's
PianoMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2006, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 94 SL / 10 G37xS
Wildarmz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 138 reviews

agreed, on a fed-spec n/a its super easy . throttle response is much quicker with poly/solid MMs
Wildarmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2006, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
I miss my boost.

Drives: '01 S2000
Synchro is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Not a comment on the 3SX poly mounts in particular, just solid/semi-solid mounts in general:

I've got the MP solids and had the same reaction with the vibration. I had gutted my precats while replacing my mounts, so the engine was tenfold louder as well. Wonderful shock, I must say.

ARGH!!! Why am I typing like this?!?! Watching "Pride & Prejudice" so my thoughts are running in bad English!

Anyway...

I feel like there's more power going to the ground as well. The only thing I've noticed that I don't like (but am not sure I can attribute to the solid mounts) is that when pulling hard around 3rd gear there is a oscillating vibration when accelerating. I had thought that it might be the zip ties I put into my carrier bearings, but I'm not so sure it isn't an issue with the engine itself. The car has always had a bit of a 'lope', and this feels like the old lope given form. Probably an engine issue being transferred into the frame as vibration (I need to check timing). That's the best thing about stiffer mounts: you can *feel* each cylinder fire individually through your seat and steering wheel. You can also feel when something goes wrong!

It's been a couple days and I don't notice the vibration as much, but the car doesn't feel like a nice gentle touring coupe any longer... I like it.
Synchro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
IDIC

Drives: NCC-1701
Zentelis is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggly
Motor mount replacement is one of those jobs that gets a reputation for being difficult. But it's a fairly easy and straightforward job, even on a TT.
if that's so, come over and help me put mine in
Old 04-10-2006, 12:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 95 3000gt
junkytri is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

yeah, put mine in and my crank pulley too.
junkytri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2006, 12:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Drunk as a lord

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2
Feedback Score: 103 reviews

I doubt that timing is pulled because of the mounts. I have the solids, and it vibrates at idle, and a LOT at 2000 RPM, but over 2500 RPM I can't even tell that I'm not still running factory mounts.

Its nice to be able to gas and turn at the same time now, isn't it?

Pampena 3.5 Stroker, TiAL DR750s, ETS FMIC, FIC 1050s, Walbro 416/485, E85, Chrome ECU, 85mm MAF, Dejon intake pipes, Tial QR, DN Precats, Tanabe Medallion Touring, 3sx Single Pass Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptechs,, Tein S-Techs, Bilstein HDs, Southbend FE Clutch, 300M O/S, Billet T-Case, 5 Speed Trans
Forest Gump is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2006, 01:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 95 3000gt
junkytri is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

new mounts are a must. My mounts are stock but they are in very good condition. I raced a 240sx today. I just installed a new DP with high flo cat and custom exhaust. The shitty stock mount didn't hold the engine and tranny in place good enough. My exhaust is now rattling. I have to see which weld is broken now.
junkytri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2006, 01:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: VR4/S4
VR4GUY is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Very happy with my 3sx mounts...the vibration seems to have lessened greatly from the first time I started the car with them in (1100 miles ago). It's only slightly noticeable at idle now. Much better than having the engine flopping around with the wrecked rubber mounts in anycase.
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Ratings/Reviews > Product reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.