VR4 cams in N/A head. - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo > Engine - NA to Forced Induction

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: 1987 Dodge daytona
knightmoves91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Default VR4 cams in N/A head.

VR4 cams in N/A head will they work?
knightmoves91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Paid Member

Drives: Mitsubishi
GTwizard Level 1GTwizard Level 1
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Default Re: VR4 cams in N/A head.

You have it wrong. You want NA cams and TT heads. Intake cams are the same. But the NA exhaust cams are way more aggresive. Ports on 2nd gen TT heads dworf NA ports.
272/272 cams freaken rock. So don't even bother with stock cams. Hell regrinds are only $400.00.
Here is my forced induction with NO tubos.

OBX long tube headers, Flow master single 3" in with dual 2.5 outs. VR4 runners with 2 liter plenum, port matched lower intake, stage 3 or better race preped heads with 1 mm oversize Rev valves, Rev race dual springs and Rev keepers, Delta/HKS 272 cams, 3SX adjustable cam gears, 3.0 Cobra Mustang Throttle body, 3.0 LT1 maft and Maftranslater gen II, Alum. Flywheel, Spec stage 5 clutch, VR4 injectors, Wizard wires, Unorthadox under drive. IPS fuel rails w/adj FPR, Fuel loop, Walboro 255 hot wired, Hot wired single fan. Short shifter, Battery relocate. EBC front slotted rotors, EBC Yellow stuff Pads, 3SX SST brake lines, sway bars, springs.
No IAC, NO AC, NO extra weight, VR4 ECU as of NG2011. Still 10 to 1 slugs, Nitto NT05 Comptition Road Course Racing tires. Magan coil overs, 3sx adjustable rear links.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s0I3tnGGmg[/url]
1st place fastest NA - TXG 2012. 1ST place highest hp NA-240 FWHP TXG-2012. 1st place fastest NA - Drag - TXG 11 98mph, 1st place quickest NA - drags 14.773, 1st place Dyno - TXG11 229 FWHP & 236 tq, 2ND place Auto cross NA C/S- NG2011, 1ST place NA dyno - TX gathering 2010 - 229 FWHP & 199 tq, 1st place Fastest NA - TXG 2010 - 98.3 trap, 1st Place quickest NA - TXG 2010 - 14.680, 2ND place 1/4 at NG10, best NA time NG10 - 14.932- no traction, 2ND place 1/4 at NG09,
2ND place Autocross NG09
GTwizard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum user

awesome ride!!!! I got a set of VR4 heads out being ported right now!!! I am looking to regrind my cams due to all my money going into the heads!!!LOL you have any good profiles to recommend?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 99 SL
stealthytom is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

you can get any profile you want lol, just make sure you get adjustable cam gears to tune them. i dont think there are any profiles set to work with stock cam gears

without tuning them your just gonna blow air and fuel out the exhaust if you run other than stock tt cams. people gain power even from removing overlap of stock tt cams so its likely using n/a cams in will lose power without the adjustable gears

delta cams has a hot 272 grind, its .435 lift and 235 @.05 if i remember correctly, thats hotter than the crower 280 spec cams, but you'll absolutely need adjustable cam gears with those, and high rev valve springs(needed for any cam grind worth mentioning really)
stealthytom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Paid Member

Stealthy tom is correct about Delta's 272s. They are really an HKS profile. Hot none the less. The adjustable cam gear will allow you to maximize your ability to scavage through "Your " perticlar ahaust. (what ever it maybe) and than tune the intake cams to maximize flow caricturistics of your intake set up. You've seen my set up. I guess I need to drive around to the different chapters and let you guys get a ride or drive my get away. Now that I have my LSD. I am gooffy with smile. I thought for sure the LSD would for sure slow down the engines ability to rev. NOT. It just runs faster. This is also a product of the little ram I run as well, I sure. The set up just simply never runs out of torque. You know when you car is doing well when "your passengers scream like a girl"" and they are TT owners them selves. Now get yourself a set of VR4 runners/plenum and have some fun. Next step is an aftermarket intake to allow a 3 inch throttle body. Or Maybe larger. Dunno yet about that. I run the 3.5 GM Maft with 4.0 " tubing and 6" intake at the face. THat is just 1 ram. The car is set up for twin ram, although Driver side not yet installed. turbo or not, always remember to feed your ride. The easier air gets in, the more potential you have.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwizard View Post
Stealthy tom is correct about Delta's 272s. They are really an HKS profile. Hot none the less. The adjustable cam gear will allow you to maximize your ability to scavage through "Your " perticlar ahaust. (what ever it maybe) and than tune the intake cams to maximize flow caricturistics of your intake set up. You've seen my set up. I guess I need to drive around to the different chapters and let you guys get a ride or drive my get away. Now that I have my LSD. I am gooffy with smile. I thought for sure the LSD would for sure slow down the engines ability to rev. NOT. It just runs faster. This is also a product of the little ram I run as well, I sure. The set up just simply never runs out of torque. You know when you car is doing well when "your passengers scream like a girl"" and they are TT owners them selves. Now get yourself a set of VR4 runners/plenum and have some fun. Next step is an aftermarket intake to allow a 3 inch throttle body. Or Maybe larger. Dunno yet about that. I run the 3.5 GM Maft with 4.0 " tubing and 6" intake at the face. THat is just 1 ram. The car is set up for twin ram, although Driver side not yet installed. turbo or not, always remember to feed your ride. The easier air gets in, the more potential you have.
idk about all that. the stock tb and maf is fine... ram air is fairly useless with FI

and tbh, you should really think twice before getting regrinds, unless its an all out build, they do compromise the reliability of the engine, the stiffer springs needed for more valve lift means there is more normal stress on the timing belt and more shear stress on each individual tooth of the belt. also more force working against your tensioner..(this compromises the designed factor of saftey)

vr4 cams should swap right in and will be safe... id still recommend headwork because the na ports are designed to aim the flow of air over the back side of the valve, with fi the pressure difference will allow you to flow well all around the valve so you can open up the port for that
Old 11-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Paid Member

Stealthy tom.
You are lost dude. I can fucking straite up tell you MY Ram fucking works.
And to say they don't on FI car. You are insane my friend. Why the hell do you think the "ram air" Fire bird had way way better performance than the none ram. THere is also nothing wrong with regrinds. I have no clue where you get your info. But untill you start building rides that work and rock. I think you should think twice about passing along "Hear say". THe TT exhaust cams strait up suck for NA. That is a known. And what the hell do you know about port design. Post up some pics of the multipal different head ports and there design for a little show and tell. Your thought about loading the teeth of the timing gears are unfounded my friend. The lift and load from these "OH SO MILD" cam grinds hurts nothing. The OP is having head work done for performance up grades. And You are sending him down a road of no gains what so ever. I think it's time you take a hike. This engine design has been proven to with stand up to almost 2000 hp. Do you have any idea at all what others are doing with these motors. I have proven over and over, time and time again just what an NA package can do. And I so far just scratch the surface. I will be hitting the Dyno Dec 8TH. No 1/4 mile tracks open till late Feb now that winter has set in. But we will see then what the hell this ram does. If My ram does nothing, than it will be well noticed by my 1/4 mile times as it should very well reflect my dyno numbers. If it does work, than my track times should be well above what the dyno says I can do. As ram is not seem on the dyno. I attempt to pass along tried and true results to peolpe on the form that wish to expand their cars potential. I make no money doing this. I don't sell parts. This info I pass along does nothing for me. Our car is a "test Bed" just for proving and/or disproving products on the market. And even prototype products that are not on the market yet. If I try something and it does no pan out. I for sure let everyone know. I am not embarest by poor results. I pass that along as well. Everyone know, our first attempt at NG in 2009 was a bust. Although we took a couple trophies, OUR car had NO power under 5800 RPM. So back to the drawing board. Would have done better in 2010, but like with all other drag race runs, we had been spitting spiders on the track. Grrr. Does your car make enough power to do that?
Passing along info I do for others. For you to try and undo what I have done is straite up fucking wrong.
Lets see you put your car where your mouth is. I doubt it will fit as your foot is in the way.
Bottom line. I don't think anyone should listen to a single work that comes out your mouth. You have no history, no results, and as far as we can tell, No damn car.
So set down, be quiet, read, than with wrench in hand, see WTF you can build.
I will put my car up, against yours, in a pink for pink run any day you wish. Well, you would need more than a pink, as your car aint worth a shit, and I've no more room for Parts cars. Or the likes of "Naysayers" like your self.

THe only truth you speek is the fist 3 abriv words you spoke. And here, let me copy and paste. "idk about all that." This is true. You don't know. You have no Freaken clue.

Last edited by GTwizard; 11-15-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum user

well I want to build power but it is the price that is my main hang up. I just dropped a grand on a shop to port my heads!!!!!! so I don't have much more money left till next year. so in the mean time I am thinking about doing the regrinds. the adjustable cam gears are a must and the 3 inch intake is already here. I just got my megasquirt 2 extra back from DIY Autotune so I can start wiring up the car. I want to spend my next batch of cash on the headers and turbos!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Paid Member

Knightmoves
When you have time, PM me. Have a ton of info for you.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwizard View Post
Stealthy tom.
You are lost dude. I can fucking straite up tell you MY Ram fucking works.
And to say they don't on FI car. You are insane my friend. Why the hell do you think the "ram air" Fire bird had way way better performance than the none ram. THere is also nothing wrong with regrinds. I have no clue where you get your info. But untill you start building rides that work and rock. I think you should think twice about passing along "Hear say". THe TT exhaust cams strait up suck for NA. That is a known. And what the hell do you know about port design. Post up some pics of the multipal different head ports and there design for a little show and tell. Your thought about loading the teeth of the timing gears are unfounded my friend. The lift and load from these "OH SO MILD" cam grinds hurts nothing. The OP is having head work done for performance up grades. And You are sending him down a road of no gains what so ever. I think it's time you take a hike. This engine design has been proven to with stand up to almost 2000 hp. Do you have any idea at all what others are doing with these motors. I have proven over and over, time and time again just what an NA package can do. And I so far just scratch the surface. I will be hitting the Dyno Dec 8TH. No 1/4 mile tracks open till late Feb now that winter has set in. But we will see then what the hell this ram does. If My ram does nothing, than it will be well noticed by my 1/4 mile times as it should very well reflect my dyno numbers. If it does work, than my track times should be well above what the dyno says I can do. As ram is not seem on the dyno. I attempt to pass along tried and true results to peolpe on the form that wish to expand their cars potential. I make no money doing this. I don't sell parts. This info I pass along does nothing for me. Our car is a "test Bed" just for proving and/or disproving products on the market. And even prototype products that are not on the market yet. If I try something and it does no pan out. I for sure let everyone know. I am not embarest by poor results. I pass that along as well. Everyone know, our first attempt at NG in 2009 was a bust. Although we took a couple trophies, OUR car had NO power under 5800 RPM. So back to the drawing board. Would have done better in 2010, but like with all other drag race runs, we had been spitting spiders on the track. Grrr. Does your car make enough power to do that?
Passing along info I do for others. For you to try and undo what I have done is straite up fucking wrong.
Lets see you put your car where your mouth is. I doubt it will fit as your foot is in the way.
Bottom line. I don't think anyone should listen to a single work that comes out your mouth. You have no history, no results, and as far as we can tell, No damn car.
So set down, be quiet, read, than with wrench in hand, see WTF you can build.
I will put my car up, against yours, in a pink for pink run any day you wish. Well, you would need more than a pink, as your car aint worth a shit, and I've no more room for Parts cars. Or the likes of "Naysayers" like your self.

THe only truth you speek is the fist 3 abriv words you spoke. And here, let me copy and paste. "idk about all that." This is true. You don't know. You have no Freaken clue.
haha, your funny, and stupid... this is not an n/a build, learn to look at the forum your in lol, the tt cams are definitely better than the n/a cams in a tt car lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo > Engine - NA to Forced Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.