My Latest Supercharger Modification - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo > Engine - NA to Forced Induction

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: red car & black car
Beau_Jester is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Default My Latest Supercharger Modification

I've been running my supercharger for several years now with only minor belt problems that I have eventually worked out, but I have always hated the TK designed manifold. It had high back pressure and a low air flow rate due to a desire to make the manifold fit under the hood without modification. It also caused the air charge to heat up. You would burn your hand touching the top of the manifold.

From day one I anticipated modifying the manifold so I cut open my hood and stuck a Mustang hood scoop on it to cover the hole before it was painted. I just now got around to doing the manifold.

I made a template of what I thought the manifold should be and took it to a local Fab Shop. They did a great job of creating what I visualized. I just hope the hp, torque, top end and air charge temps improve. I am also going install a bypass valve between the intake air side of the supercharger to the pressure side of the manifold to take the load off of the supercharger during cruising and decelleration. I am anxious to see how this works.

It will be several weeks before car is together. I also pulled the transmission to fix a seam leak (repair completed).
Attached Thumbnails
My Latest Supercharger Modification-dsc01917.jpg   My Latest Supercharger Modification-picture-002.jpg  

Last edited by Beau_Jester; 01-08-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Beau_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Re: My Latest Supercharger Modification

Here are some more pics. I installed the bypass valve. I hope it all works out.
Oops. Just realized I have the bypass valve intake and exhaust ports reversed. Gotta fix that.

FYI. If anyone needs custom pulleys made try ASP Performance in Texas. Great service and prices plus they keep your pulley profile on record for future orders. Several pulleys retailers have this comapny make their pulleys.
Attached Thumbnails
My Latest Supercharger Modification-supercharger-3.jpg   My Latest Supercharger Modification-supercharger-4.jpg   My Latest Supercharger Modification-supercharger-5.jpg  

Last edited by Beau_Jester; 01-15-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1994 3000GT Base
Jkaisler8605 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

That is really awesome! What are the noticeable differences?
Jkaisler8605 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
SUHC

Drives: 94 Stealth "SUHC" TT
MDoe8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Looks much better! Curious how the hood turned out.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: '93 VR4
bearded1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau_Jester View Post
FYI. If anyone needs custom pulleys made try ASP Performance in Texas. Great service and prices plus they keep your pulley profile on record for future orders. Several pulleys retailers have this comapny make their pulleys.
That's funny, I got an underdrive pulley for my 4banger S10 from them a few years ago. Top quality stuff and good people.

Love to see pics installed and if you get some improvement. Looks nice!

Mods - TGE preset cam gears, ARC2, Seattle solid mounts, IPS downpipe and test pipe, AEM FPR, Palm Datalogger, gutted kitties, full vacuum reduction/emissions delete, clutch vacuum canister delete, XTD Stage 3 clutch, boost leak mod, ANTI!yard ornament mod.
Coming soon! - NP transfer case bracket, snails, 550's, intacoolas... Oh, and a real stereo system...
bearded1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Okay.

I finished what will probably be my final supercharging experiment. The supercharger is installed and I am getting 10-11psi boost in 1-2 gear while accelerating. I haven't opened it past 2nd gear or for any long runs.

I also installed a 1994 VR4 engine harness and 1994 federal TT ECU and removed my NA ECU with SAFC II. I also installed the fuel relay and resistor but kept the NA fuel pressure regulator. I am running a Walbro FP without hotwire.

The car runs as close to a stock VR4 as far as I can tell except with instant low end torque. It is too easy to break traction on the front wheels. It idles fine and the AFRs all look good at 14.7-15.0 just cruising. On full throttle they go to 13.0 and a little less.

I have logged only an occasional 2-4 counts of knock. My last couple of 2nd gear pulls logged no knock under acceleration. The 8:1 pistons really helped there. It will probably lack top end and lose to a stock VR4, but I don't know yet.

I made an error in calculating the height of the new intake plenum. The top of the plenum is about 1/4" to tall. It cracked my fake Mustang hood cowel when I closed the hood kind of hard. I need to find one a little taller now.

All in all, I can't wait to get it on the track.
Attached Thumbnails
My Latest Supercharger Modification-super1.jpg   My Latest Supercharger Modification-super2.jpg   My Latest Supercharger Modification-super3.jpg  

Last edited by Beau_Jester; 04-27-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

I didn't notice until I posted these pictures that I forgot to connect a valve cover breather hose. oops.
Attached Thumbnails
My Latest Supercharger Modification-my94base3000gt.jpg  
Old 05-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

I have been getting CELs recently for the O2 sensor after hard pulls with the TT ECU and engine harness. I only have the NA O2 sensor and it is jumpered to one of the O2 connections. I resolved this issue first jumpering the two O2 sensor signal wires by the ECU connection so both inputs see a signal (same signal source but since I am not using turbos the AFRs should be close to the same off both left and right cylinder banks anyway). I also determined I had the polarity incorrect coming from the O2 sensor. I reversed pins 1 and 2 from the O2 sensor and all is well. I may have only needed to swap the pins and not parallel the O2 sensor inputs, but it works. 10.9 AFRs at 11psi boost near redline.

Last edited by Beau_Jester; 05-18-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
TT Time

n2nsanity is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

interesting stuff plan on getting some dyno #s?
6g74 swap, 5spd conversion, TT conversion, Chrome ECU, ss m2 downpipe, testpipe and catback, segmented kevlar clutch, single braided ss clutch line, vac reduction, battery relocation, custom ground wire kit, seattle shortshifter, solid shifter bushings, seattle poly mounts, slotted rotors, megan springs, kyb g2's.

Save up to 45% off parts

n2nsanity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 1991 Stealth ES
westcott is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

I have to say one thing about screw compressors, they sure do simplify the search for boost leaks, installation of intercoolers, and general service efforts.

I had researched this years ago but at the time, no one had had much luck getting one to work properly.

Gotta love something that is rather unique. Well done.

Original Owner, ROTM-March 2013, ROTY 2013, Highest WHP N/A 2013, TXG13 3S Sponsor
My mod list can be found in My Garage
westcott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo > Engine - NA to Forced Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.