How to use a TT ECU in your TT ATX - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo > Engine - NA to Forced Induction

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Resident rocket scientist

Drives: 2003 350Z Track 6MT
BigTyla Level 1BigTyla Level 1
Feedback Score: 195 reviews
Default How to use a TT ECU in your TT ATX

After a ton of testing and countless hours beating my head on a table, I've finally finished experimentation with the TT ECU in my ATX TT conversion. And really, it's quite simple. The hardest part was figuring out what to do with the park/neutral position switch wire. After that the car ran miraculously.

I'm going to tell you exactly how you can put a TT ECU in your ATX car if you choose to do a TT conversion. This will allow you to run your conversion with only ONE oxygen sensor, without any wiring outside of the car (besides what it takes to extend your old sensor to the rear o2 housing)! Note that my conversion was for a 1G ATX car, and I used a 1G TT ECU. I see no reason why this can't work for later generations as long as you use the respective TT ECU for your generation and cut and splice the same wires I'm about to describe. But again, do this at your own risk if you are not a 1G! I'm not sure just how different the ECU pin assignments are between generations. However, I will name each pin so that you can cross-reference for yourself, and I'll also specify which pin designations are only for the TTs.

The following link to stealth316 will help you find out which wire is which: http://www.stealth316.com/2-ecu94.htm. If you are not a 1G and wish to try this modification, your best bet is to research the difference between your current n/a harness and the TT ECU you are going to use in your conversion and make the same modifications I am about to describe.

1) Buy a wiring harness adapter from here: http://www.autosportwiring.com/mitsubishi.htm

2) Find the pins on the TT ECU for the front and rear oxygen sensor, and the one wire on your n/a wiring harness for the rear oxygen sensor (for the 1G, this will be pins 55 for the front bank and 56 for the rear). Cut the wire designated for the front oxygen sensor and splice it in to the wire designated for the rear oxygen sensor. This allows you to simulate an o2 reading from both banks, even though you are really only getting a reading from the rear oxygen sensor!

3) Cut the following wires:
Reduce torque execution (pin 7 for 1G)
Fuel Pump Relay 2 (pin 21 for 1G; this is a TT wire only)
Active exhaust control unit (pin 102 for 1G; this is a TT wire only)
Turbo wastegate solenoid valve (pin 105 for 1G; this is a TT wire only)
Induction valve closed (pin 109 for 1G)
Induction valve opened (pin 110 for 1G)
Induction valve position sensor 1 (pin 111 for 1G)
Reduce torque request 1 (pin 116 for 1G)
Reduce torque request 2 (pin 59 for 1G)
Starter relay signal, A/T only (pin 71 for 1G)

It is imperative that you cut the starter relay signal wire! This wire goes into a pin in the TT ECU designated for a chassis ground, and you will short out that pin if you do not cut this wire! Note that I left the park/neutral position switch wire alone. This wire is now going into an input in the TT ECU designated for the starter relay signal. The car will still start as normal. Without the p/n position wire going into this input, the car will have very erratic timing when you shift into drive. I learned this the hard way, and it took me weeks to figure out the reason behind it.

4) Ground the wire for the chassis ground (pin 71 for 1G) coming out of the ECU side of your adapter. The best way to do this is to crimp male and female connectors on this wire and make an extention long enough to use the mounting point for the relay on the driver's side of your center console as a ground. The relay is the black box in this picture.

Credit given to www.stealth316.com for the picture.

5) Cap all of the wires you cut to ensure they don't short out on something, and install your wiring harness adapter and TT ECU. Then start it and be happy!

Hopefully this will be a great asset to you guys wanting to TT your ATX.

2003 Nissan 350Z Track Edition 6MT<--------------------------->2009 Honda Fit - 40 mpg ftw
BigTyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: 98SOHC SDS/95VR-4
ldcarson is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Default Re: How to use a TT ECU in your TT ATX

Tyler,

Great write up! Don't forget to add this to wiki!!!!
ldcarson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2007, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldcarson View Post
Tyler,

Great write up! Don't forget to add this to wiki!!!!
Done. Thank you!
Old 08-22-2007, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

SLAYER4ALL is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

awesome write up lets hope this works on 2g's
Old 08-22-2007, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER4ALL View Post
awesome write up lets hope this works on 2g's
I am fairly confident that it will, but I don't want to go on the record on that until the proper testing is done.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
village idiot

Drives: me nuts!
templar is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTyla View Post
I am fairly confident that it will, but I don't want to go on the record on that until the proper testing is done.
As far as I can tell it mostly will, except that 2nd gen guys need to use a 1st gen TT ecu, which means we need to wire in our own fan controller (we can use a 2nd gen TT ecu, but we need to change/modify the whole wiring harness)
Old 08-22-2007, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

SLAYER4ALL is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

in what sense would we have to change the wiring harness or modify it?
SLAYER4ALL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
village idiot

Drives: me nuts!
templar is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER4ALL View Post
in what sense would we have to change the wiring harness or modify it?
I'm not sure because I've never done it, but I do know that 2nd gen TT ecus use a 4 plug harness into the ECU (whereas all NA has three plugs) and that all 2nd gen ECUs control the radiator fan. So at least those things need to be connected correctly.
templar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
AWD rules

Drives: 94 black SLTT & VR4
SLguy Level 2SLguy Level 2SLguy Level 2SLguy Level 2SLguy Level 2SLguy Level 2
Feedback Score: 24 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTyla
Thats where I come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by templar View Post
I'm not sure because I've never done it, but I do know that 2nd gen TT ecus use a 4 plug harness into the ECU (whereas all NA has three plugs) and that all 2nd gen ECUs control the radiator fan. So at least those things need to be connected correctly.

not exactly 100% true, 94 & 95 federal spec cars will have to use the 1st gen TT ECU (3 connectors), whereas cali spec cars will have to use the 2nd gen ECU (4 connectors). All 96+ cars have 4 connectors.

But you are correct on having to come up with your own fan wiring technique on all 94+ models.

I've done this on my 94 using a 92 TT ECU, car starts and runs fine, just haven't taken it out for a drive yet because i'm still doing body work. At the same time, i'm also using a 91 CAS with 91 style heads. For 94 and 95 Federal spec cars, i would try to spec out a 93 ECU just for CAS purposes. You can still use a 91 or 92, your timing just might be a couple of degrees off because of the different CAS sensors. just a tip

Black 94 SL Twin Turbo Automatic - 63K miles, < 1K on engine
purchased 3/2001, TT converted 6/2003
8.5:1 Arias Pistons, Pauter Rods, DR Stage 3 heads, 3sx td05 kit, EVOIII 16G's (currently set at 17 psi), PTC high-stall torque converter, shift kit, LSD, FMIC, 550cc injectors, walbro 255lph, 3SX single pass radiator, and supporting mods.

Black 94 VR-4 (The black wasp) - purchased 8/10/2009, 80K miles, R.I.P. 2/19/10
Air Intake, Blitz SBC-iD @ 14 psi, 50 lbs of wasp nests removed

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition - Daily Driver
SLguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2007, 09:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLguy View Post
not exactly 100% true, 94 & 95 federal spec cars will have to use the 1st gen TT ECU (3 connectors), whereas cali spec cars will have to use the 2nd gen ECU (4 connectors). All 96+ cars have 4 connectors.

But you are correct on having to come up with your own fan wiring technique on all 94+ models.
That's what I thought too. That ought to make it a lot easier for the hybrid years. The only difference should be the fan. Same rules apply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo > Engine - NA to Forced Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.