Shop Needs Help - Page 6 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Advanced Technical Discussions

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #51 (permalink)
3/S Tech

Drives: Slickwheel's Mistake
toddrs93 Level 1toddrs93 Level 1
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Default Re: Shop Needs Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMcCoy View Post
I'd been doing it for over ten years when we opened Automotion in 1993... Why?
Was just going to say that's awesome. Not too many highly experienced guys on here. Lol except for the ones that want to talk like they are.

www.autovelocity.net
AFFORDABLE ECU REBUILDS
QUALITY TRANS REBUILDS DONE CHEAP
N/A Rear Mount Turbo Kits
Auto Velocity
301-991-6501
toddrs93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #52 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 92 RT/TT, 96 Cobra
RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2
Feedback Score: 38 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrs93 View Post
Was just going to say that's awesome. Not too many highly experienced guys on here. Lol except for the ones that want to talk like they are.
I'd consider it much more awesome if it didn't remind me of how damned old I am...
Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #53 (permalink)
3/S Tech

Drives: Slickwheel's Mistake
toddrs93 Level 1toddrs93 Level 1
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianKustomz View Post
I discussed with him last night about that and we are I feed going to weld the front exhaust manifold hole but we are just going to replace the rear downpipe. It's more cost effective. If I were to repair the damage or weld another o2 bung in it; it would cost more doing that in my shop labor time then it would to just replace it. He wanted me to heli-coil it but I said absolutely not. I don't do short cuts at the cost of trying to save a few pennies. I told him it will either be done the right way or we won't do it. It's my name and reputation that's on the line. Even though I have been bashed online (personal attacks) there has never been on bad thing said about my work. It's because I do not take short cuts. Not to mention at full spool the turbo glows red hot and would most likely melt the time little heli-coil. I've seen it happen many times. Also he does not want to recirculate the BOV. He wants to leave it on and swap it out with one that works. I told him he will still run a tad rich because that air is not going back into the system and the stock ecu can not compensate for it. He is not using a standalone so it can't be tuned out. Soooooo we are still at an impass again. He doesn't want to spend the money on a standalone and expects me to get the car running right without one. So this has been quite difficult. He is going with the 15T turbos but we are sending out the injectors to JWT for flow testing so we can figure out what they are flowing and the variances between them; if they are even worth using.

Ugh. What a frustrating car.
Honestly that's one thing you hav to get used to with these cars. You can not approach the job and the customer like its a newer car. Look at the typical 3/S at this point. It's been passed through several owners and each time it changes hands it goes down in value and usually to a new owner that is in a lower income bracket. The typical owner is on a tight budget. Each job I do I have to walk a fine line between charging enough for my work and cheap enough so that they don't go somewhere else. Everybody's a mechanic these days and especially with the Internet and everybody has a friend that says hey I can fix your car cheaper. And with the crappy economy I have to do everything to keep prices low for people. I warn people up front about eBay parts and such but again most people do not have the money and I have to cut labor costs to keep work flowing.

Also typically td04 turbo cars do just fine with open BOV. These cars usually handle it pretty well. Yes in a perfect world a standalone would be great. But an SAFC will do the job great and be more reliable than the standalones out there for this car
toddrs93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #54 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1991 3000GT VR4
codyandrson is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

What year is the parts car? Will you be selling parts if you buy it?
codyandrson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #55 (permalink)
Elite Member

Drives: Women Crazy
bfarnam is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
So here is an update on everything.

1.) Got the ECU back from my guys and found the ecu had problems and needed to be rebuilt. The capacitors were leaking and destroyed part of the board. They replaced them and repaired the board. They found other components on the board not functioning properly so the replaced those components as well. They tested the board again and found a short. They fixed that, reflashed it and...wah-lah! Perfect ecu.
Was reading this thread and thought wow . . . poor guy and poor car.

Just wanted to point this out . . . your ECU guy probably ripped you off. UNLESS you had an engineering sample ECU (which you don't from the photo), a rare pre-production ECU (with a seperate EPROM, which you don't from the photo) or a daughter board (which you don't from the photo) the that ECU CAN NOT BE RE-FLASHED. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lyeing.

The orignial CPU (M377 Famiily Single-Chip CMOS Micro-Computer) on that ECU had an integrated ROM which was One Time Programmable (OTP) at the factory. It was not possible to field program or re-program the ROM.

I make the VR4 Clone ECUs and have first hand knowledge of these very complex ECUs.

On another note, if you spent any more than $250 for the rebuild, you probably should have replaced it with a flashable VR4 Clone ECU. The extra cost could have been easily recovered by selling off all of the piggy backs and extras as the VR4 Clone ECU is flash tunable by laptop!

Brett
Remember, if it's not a Clone, it's just a copy!

Get Chromed!
Donate Now and receive a coupon code for the amount of your donation (up to $50.00 US) which you can apply at check out for a Clone2 ECU, Plug n Play Harness, or Clone2 Plug n Play Package!!
1999 3000GT VR4
Glacier Pearl White
Yeah it's stock . . . trust me
How To Contact Me:
eMail: brett_farnam@yahoo.com
US3S/3SGTO: 99 vr4
3SI: bfarnam
bfarnam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 05:54 AM   #56 (permalink)
Forum Member

ChristianKustomz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks for the correction.

This stupid iPhone spell check keeps changing what I wrote and puts in what it thinks I mean. I did not mean it was reflashed. It was supposed to say re-tested. I changed the other ones to re-tested but I must have missed that one.

We did not know about the programmable ecu. Everyone kept telling us there is no programmable ecu;EEPROM for these cars. It was either use an Apexi Neo or go standalone. Rich already had a Neo but couldn't afford; wasn't willing to pay $1500+ for a standalone. Ecu rebuilt for around $400+ with lifetime warranty.

I wish I would have known because I am sure Rich would have done that instead.

Last edited by ChristianKustomz; 01-11-2013 at 05:57 AM. Reason: More iPhone editing errors...I'm going to buy a Galaxy SIII
ChristianKustomz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #57 (permalink)
Elite Member

Drives: Women Crazy
bfarnam is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Thanks for the correction.

This stupid iPhone spell check keeps changing what I wrote and puts in what it thinks I mean. I did not mean it was reflashed. It was supposed to say re-tested. I changed the other ones to re-tested but I must have missed that one.

We did not know about the programmable ecu. Everyone kept telling us there is no programmable ecu;EEPROM for these cars. It was either use an Apexi Neo or go standalone. Rich already had a Neo but couldn't afford; wasn't willing to pay $1500+ for a standalone. Ecu rebuilt for around $400+ with lifetime warranty.

I wish I would have known because I am sure Rich would have done that instead.
My Android with the swype input quill change my words too from time to time... But it's not that bad...lol

He could still go the flash route... A typical Clone ECU package goes for around $625... That includes the conversion harness and ECU. You could easily sell the rebuilt ECU and the Apexi NEO for that and some. You could easily cover the cost of the Tactrix cable as well... Just saying

Brett
bfarnam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #58 (permalink)
The dark shall be with us

Drives: 93' VR4
Devilmightcry is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

so you are tunning the car with the Neo? i think you should read this. make sure you have the right one because the first ones had bad Karman which our car uses.
Apex AFC Neo: Confirmed Programming Bug - Karman Function Doesn't Work
not sure if this is related to the problem, but it doesn't hurt to check. also what does the car do when it dies down? what does a/f gauge read?
Old 02-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #59 (permalink)
Forum Member

ChristianKustomz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Just setting up an update. We are still waiting for new turbos. Rich decided he wanted the 15T turbos. I got the gauges back from Autometer a few days ago. They had to repair and recalibrate the gauges and fix several connectors and one sensor. They were in rough shape according to Autometer. They were Nexxus gauges. I have them reinstalled and a nee set of aftermarket face gauge overlays from SpeedHut. I will check to see what Apexi Neo he has. Thanks for the info. To the one guy who emailed me asking me about my BBB he is a direct link to it below. I'm not accredited yet but they have stated in there that they have more then enough information to back us up as a company. Also we are replacing the MAF sensor too. It has no screen and reads improperly.

ChristianKustomz Automotive & Performance Tuning Business Review in Westminster, MD - Maryland BBB
ChristianKustomz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #60 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 92 RT/TT, 96 Cobra
RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2RealMcCoy Level 2
Feedback Score: 38 reviews

You have every right to defend yourself to the best of your abilities if attacked here, but I would be very careful not to cross the line into promoting... You are not a paid sponsor, and you will get the smackdown from the admins.
RealMcCoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Advanced Technical Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.