build your own fuel/spark controler :cheap - Page 4 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Advanced Technical Discussions

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2005, 12:57 AM   #31 (permalink)
My KungFu Is Strong

Drives: 1992 3000GT VR-4 Red
xeudoxus is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Default Re: build your own fuel/spark controler :cheap

check out http://www.lt1swap.com/ My buddy has put a LT1, Vortec 8100, AND a Vortec 6.0L in his 67 Chevy truck. ALL Running megasquirt!

I have already built a megasquirt 1 system (going to put it on my car)

Megasquirt 1 (with firmware update) can control fan, retard timing with knock.

Megasquirt II upgrade (i am waiting on this before I put it in my car) will do more things than you can imagin. all of what the AEM can do (boost!, NOS, traction crontrol, rev limit, datalog, and more)

The 2 problems I have seen, No help or support for 3000gt's (its a DIY, so jumping into the unknown)

and 2nd is the crank angle sensor. the megasquirt does not know where top-dead-center is. megasquirt uses a toothed wheel with a HAL EFFECT sensor to detect top-dead-center. So you would have to weld the wheel on the crank balancer.

I am looking for a better way of doing this..

With the release of MSII it will support a new code that is in (assembly) I will try to modify the code to work with our CAS (91-93) It comes with a compiler.

MS is a speed density system so no mas!

-Matt
xeudoxus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2005, 01:11 AM   #32 (permalink)
Forum Member

MiseryQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

There's one point that don't think has been mentioned.
The cost is a big plus but the greatest benefit is that it's an open source project.

MS-I is coded in assembler, MS-II is coded in C.
If you can write code, or get help, you can make the MS do ANYTHING by modifying the code and adding some circuits.
MiseryQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2005, 01:45 AM   #33 (permalink)
My KungFu Is Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiseryQ
MS-I is coded in assembler, MS-II is coded in C.
my bad
Old 05-20-2005, 02:03 AM   #34 (permalink)
Banned from Classifieds

Drives: 95 Subaru Shitbox
doctorstupid is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 37 reviews

xeudoxus, what you have pictured above is NOT a Hall Effect crank sensor. The stock 2G cam and crank angle sensors are beutiful examples of a Hall effect sensor (I beleive the 1G CAS is as well, never opened it up, however the presence of 4 wires leads me to assume it is), which consists of a solid state magnet and a Hall chip and is activated when a nonmagnetized "Hall plate" passes through the magnetic field existing between the two, interrupting the applied signal voltage in the Hall effect chip, giving the ECU a clean and precise frequency signal. What you have there is just a plain old magnetic trigger wheel, not the same thing.
doctorstupid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2005, 11:10 PM   #35 (permalink)
Forum Member

defrag010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Yeah, you guys should Visit the links I showed in my post. They take you right to threads on the Megasquirt forum where it explains how the DSM CAS is used for 'squirting a DSM. If a stock DSM CAS can be used with the stock ignitor and coils, then so can a 3si. It's gonna take someone with creativity and ingenuity to do a DIY project and adapt one of these onto a 3si.

Xeudoxus, what you have pictured is the EDIS setup for the megasquirt. You can adapt the megasquirt to control the Ford EDIS ignition system, which uses a toothed wheel and a VR sensor. The good thing is that in megasquirt, there is now a Toothed wheel decoder, so you can use practically any wheel as your trigger. That's how the guys got the DSM CAS to work, using the dual wheel decoder.
defrag010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2005, 12:42 AM   #36 (permalink)
My KungFu Is Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorstupid
xeudoxus, what you have pictured above is NOT a Hall Effect crank sensor.
Yep, your right.. (showing my second mistake on my post, I have forgotten how picky you guys are in the advance forum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by defrag010
Xeudoxus, what you have pictured is the EDIS setup for the megasquirt. You can adapt the megasquirt to control the Ford EDIS ignition system, which uses a toothed wheel and a VR sensor.
Yep, your right (didnt know what it was called)
at the time.. they had not get the dsm cas to work. (back when I found out about megasquirt)
Old 05-21-2005, 10:02 PM   #37 (permalink)
Boost is good

3r tech is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by defrag010
Everything 3R_tech said:
"Can it run Coil on Plug?
How about Staged Injection?
Can it control boost?
Does it have any outputs to even turn on the cooling fan?
What is its idle strategy?
How does it handle A/C request?
Is there support for Nitrous? Traction Control?
What is its hot start parameters?
How about warm up and cold start decay?
What sort of datalogging capabilities are there?
Knock Control?
How difficult is this thing to install?
"
is listed on the First link in my post, and there are even more features that he hasn't thought of.

ok just so you know, the MS does NOT-

Datalog, at all, there is no provision for any sort of memory or flight recorder

has no idle strategy beyond craking the throttle butterfly, has no PID ouput of any sort with which to control idle,

has no support for A/C request

Has NO hot or cold start decay, and since it has no way of controling an IAC, no high idle speed either

Has no way of running staged injection, beyond basically adding a second MS to control that

Cannot control boost on any sort of look-up table

Has no way of EVER running sequentially, which BTW, is a serious detriment to any sort of fuel economy- you know that OTHER thing us professional tuners strive for once we have made power

to say the MS does everything the AEM or even a decent E-manage will do is simply a lie. The MS was concieved and intended as an alternative for carbs on old-school engines. It does a half-ass decent job at that, as long as you dont expect much. It is not even close to what I would consider a standalone, and I work with this stuff everyday.

The question was asked whether or not I have worked with the MS, oh yeah, I have- and IMHO the lot of them are total POS that should never be inflicted on decent people or thier cars. Even the "prebuilt" ones are total crap, and I wouldnt use one on my lawnmower. Have YOU guys ever worked with MOTEC? or AEM? How about DTA? any real engine management experience?
I highly doubt it. I have worked with EVERY engine management unit known to man, and the MS is at the bottom of the barrel along with Electramotive and the early Haltec. Even the Weber-Marelli stuff is easier to use and (barely) more reliable.
3r tech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2005, 02:00 AM   #38 (permalink)
Boost is good

3r tech is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by magn1t

Obviously you think you're some sort of expert.

Steve

You are correct sir- I am an expert.
3r tech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2005, 04:26 PM   #39 (permalink)
Forum Member

MiseryQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3r tech
ok just so you know, the MS does NOT-

Datalog, at all, there is no provision for any sort of memory or flight recorder
Connect your laptop and datalog all you like.
Open the log viewer and look at the graph.
Or run it through MSTweak3000 and let it correct your VE Table.

Quote:
has no idle strategy beyond craking the throttle butterfly, has no PID ouput of any sort with which to control idle,
Does'nt control idle but does have provisions for fast idle, either on/off or PWM in MSNS-E.

Quote:
has no support for A/C request
Would be simple to add to the code.

Quote:
Has NO hot or cold start decay, and since it has no way of controling an IAC, no high idle speed either
Already mentioned the fast idle MSNS-E has the rest.

Quote:
Has no way of running staged injection, beyond basically adding a second MS to control that
Been running staged injection for a couple of years. Originaly I had to modify the code myself but it's been picked up in a couple other firmwares including MSNS-E.

Quote:
Cannot control boost on any sort of look-up table
MSNS-E does.

Quote:
Has no way of EVER running sequentially, which BTW, is a serious detriment to any sort of fuel economy- you know that OTHER thing us professional tuners strive for once we have made power
No sequential. How much more power or mileage will it give you over the two batch drivers? On a recent trip my 455CI engine got well over 20mpg.

Quote:
to say the MS does everything the AEM or even a decent E-manage will do is simply a lie. The MS was concieved and intended as an alternative for carbs on old-school engines. It does a half-ass decent job at that, as long as you dont expect much. It is not even close to what I would consider a standalone, and I work with this stuff everyday.
No the MS does'nt do everything. Nor do I think it should. It's a DIY project and each person has to modifiy it for their application. I personally do'nt like to see feature creep. But is IS standalone using MS-II or MS-I with MSNS-E. If it was concieved to replace carbs on old-school engines, not, it has far surpassed that.
There are MSs on everthing from Suzukis to Porsche Turbos and most people are very happy with them.

If it has been linked to already MSNS-E.
MiseryQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2005, 08:17 PM   #40 (permalink)
I kill brakes

Drives: Other People Around
Highboosted Level 1Highboosted Level 1Highboosted Level 1
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

The TEC3 isnt THAT bad..........now I'd say the TEC-II was on par with older Haltechs and Link. Now I would go as far to say its as good as MOTEC........I'd slot it as right under the EMS.

Official member of the "I upgraded everything in my car and now it's slower than stock" club.

12.8@107, 13 psi @ NG09.
Highboosted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Advanced Technical Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.