Wheel offset question - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Tires,Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 93 VR4
Xerces_Blackthorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Wheel offset question

I'm looking into ordering new wheels here in the not so distant future for my 93 VR4. I found the ones I want in 18x8.5. I know stock 17's have a 46mm offset.

Now my question is. What should I order the new rims in for offset? Between all the different styles of the new rims I'm looking at,I can get the offsets in 45mm, 48mm, and 50mm offset. Would I be able to use the 45mm offset? Or would I be better to use the 48mm offset? I'd like to have them as flush with the fenders as possible.

I can also get something in a 35mm offset in a few of the styles. So what I need to know I guess is what the best offset would be

May not be important, but I'm looking into Team Dynamics brand rims from Susquehanna MotorSports - High Performance Vehicle Lighting and Competition Accessories since I get a discount through them Looking at the Drifz, City, Jade R, Pro Race 1.2, and Pro Race 2 styles. Think I've settled on the City or Jade R's though for now (eventually I'm going to buy some winter rally rims for my snow tires), but not sure if they will fit...

Current mods: ChromeIntakes Ebay Y pipe, Ebay SS exhaust headers, Magnaflow cat back exhaust/chrome tips, in cabin boost controller, OBX conical air filter, HKS turbo timer, 1G DSM BOV, Silverstone Ebay SS brake lines, SS clutch line

Future mods: 2 row aluminum radiator, Ebay downpipe, gutted pre cats, FMIC, Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 black rally wheels, Hella Free Form H4 165mm pop-up conversion lights with Osram Hyper bulbs, Hella Micro DE fog lamps, Palm datalogger and many more...

Estimated 400 AWHP and counting!

Authorized Hella, Sparco, Brembo, M&R Harnesses, HANS devices and TerraTrip dealer among other things. Specializing in all your rally gear and lighting needs. High Performance Vehicle Lighting and Competition Accessories to Auto Enthusiasts and the Rally Racing Community at a reasonable price.
Xerces_Blackthorne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Slow Learner

Drives: Like a German
x2xtreme360 Level 1x2xtreme360 Level 1x2xtreme360 Level 1
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Default Re: Wheel offset question

If it were me, I would shoot for +45mm offset. It will match what your stock rims look like right now. +38 will stick out a bit further, but will look fine as well.

Vacuum reduction, Powdercoated misc, cruise relocate, Evo9 BOV, Custom catch cans, Russell fuel filter, SS braided fuel lines, High flow fuel loop, Autogage fuel gauge, Catless DP, DNP Y-pipe, Fuel pump hotwire.

FS/FT: 94 3000GT base $3k
x2xtreme360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Paid Member

Drives: 1994 Stealth
Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3
Feedback Score: 151 reviews

My 30mm offset 17x9's are almost perfectly flush with the fenders.

Also on VR4's its not all about the offset. You can get something that is 17x9 and 46mm offset and it could possibly not clear the calipers due to spoke design.
Stealthee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Cool Good to know. I tried running everything through a wheel offset calculator I found online, but I don't understand it lol...I've never put aftermarket rims on my cars before so I have no clue about offset, backspacing, etc. I'm just worried about clearing the calipers and not hitting the spring perches on my ECS struts. And AFAIK that is controlled by the offset...

Suppose I can contact Team Dynamics and see what they'd recommend. They do manufacture rims for Mitsu and a bunch of the other car companies...And if worse comes to worse I can always see if they will custom cut something for me...or get wheel spacers...

Stealthee, what do you think on these in an 18x8.5 with a 45mm offset? Think they'd clear, or should I get a 35mm offset? These are the two I'm really leaning towards, mainly the Jade R's

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=3631
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=3664

Last edited by Xerces_Blackthorne; 05-01-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Slow Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
My 30mm offset 17x9's are almost perfectly flush with the fenders.

Also on VR4's its not all about the offset. You can get something that is 17x9 and 46mm offset and it could possibly not clear the calipers due to spoke design.
Yea I know that. I forgot that he had a 93... did the 93 get the larger brakes? Or was it 94?
Old 05-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Slow Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerces_Blackthorne View Post
Cool Good to know. I tried running everything through a wheel offset calculator I found online, but I don't understand it lol...I've never put aftermarket rims on my cars before so I have no clue about offset, backspacing, etc. I'm just worried about clearing the calipers and not hitting the spring perches on my ECS struts. And AFAIK that is controlled by the offset...

Suppose I can contact Team Dynamics and see what they'd recommend. They do manufacture rims for Mitsu and a bunch of the other car companies...And if worse comes to worse I can always see if they will custom cut something for me...or get wheel spacers...

Stealthee, what do you think on these in an 18x8.5 with a 45mm offset? Think they'd clear, or should I get a 35mm offset? These are the two I'm really leaning towards, mainly the Jade R's

Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product
Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product
As Stealthee said, the spoke design plays a huge role in determining clearance. I thought the 93's had the smaller brakes but 93 is that PITA year where you never know Maybe they have the larger 2G brakes. If it has the smaller brakes, I would say 45mm would fit just fine. The +35 would be alright as well.

And you are right, offset plays an important role. I never pay attention to backspacing as it is just the rim size/2 +/- offset. I know that an 8.5 inch rim will fit on a 3S so it's irrelevant. Offset is all that's needed and spoke design.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Paid Member

Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3

93's still had the smaller brakes but they are still large and cause fitment issues. I threw some wheels on a 1g VR4 just to get it onto a tow dolly (yes I unhooked the driveshaft once I had it on ) and the wheels wouldn't clear the caliper even though they were 45mm offset due to spoke design.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Hmm. So do you guys think those 2 I posted would be ok to run in a 45mm offset (or 46mm if they will custom make a set for me), or should I run a smaller offset.

I'd like to try and get them in 17x7.5 in all honesty, so I can keep my tires the same (planning on running the stock chromies for winter for now) in case a tire goes bad, etc. The new rims are going to be strictly for summer/all season/touring type tires, and the stockers I plan on using Nokian RSi's on for winter...

I did send an email to TD about getting these rims in 17x7.5 with a 46mm offset, not sure what they are going to say. Also asked them about THESE in 17x7.5 with the right offset. They are the ones I really want, with the Jade R's being a close second, followed by the Drifz as a 3rd option. I'm planning on painting the car in the future in a 2 tone scheme (saw one on here like it, silver/grey with a black roof and pillars) and I think the City ones would look great on it with that paint scheme.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Paid Member

Do NOT put 7.5" wide rims on a VR4. Thats narrower than whats on a NA even.

Also don't worry about 1mm of difference in offset. To get a custom set made would make the cost ridiculous.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Slow Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerces_Blackthorne View Post
Hmm. So do you guys think those 2 I posted would be ok to run in a 45mm offset (or 46mm if they will custom make a set for me), or should I run a smaller offset.

I'd like to try and get them in 17x7.5 in all honesty, so I can keep my tires the same (planning on running the stock chromies for winter for now) in case a tire goes bad, etc. The new rims are going to be strictly for summer/all season/touring type tires, and the stockers I plan on using Nokian RSi's on for winter...

I did send an email to TD about getting these rims in 17x7.5 with a 46mm offset, not sure what they are going to say. Also asked them about THESE in 17x7.5 with the right offset. They are the ones I really want, with the Jade R's being a close second, followed by the Drifz as a 3rd option. I'm planning on painting the car in the future in a 2 tone scheme (saw one on here like it, silver/grey with a black roof and pillars) and I think the City ones would look great on it with that paint scheme.
8 inches is minimum in my book ON AN NA. 8.5 on a VR4.

And offset matters directly with rim width. +46 mm is going to stick IN further on a thinner rim because offset is measured from the center of the rim. If you get 7.5 instead of 8.5 with +45 offset, the rim is going to stick in half an inch further. Follow?

Shoot for at least 8.5 as that is the stock size. No need to downgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Tires,Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.