Lowering Springs on Stock Struts - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Tires,Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
3/S owner since 2003.

Drives: 95' GTO ATX TT
ilian51378 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Default Lowering Springs on Stock Struts

I am debating if I should get some lowering springs for my car, but I am reading scary stories about the stock struts failing short after the installation of the lowering springs. Please post if this has happened to you so I can see how many people actually got failed stock struts because of the lowering springs and how long after the installation that occured. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

P.S: My car car has less than 70,000 miles on it.

95' Mitsubishi GTO ATX - TT Conversion (15Gs), Paddle Shifters,Tein S-Tech lowering springs, 6000K HIDs, 99' rear garnish, 99' front end, Stealth sail panels, Stealth spoiler, Saleen wheels, halos, LED tail lights, gutted pre-cats, 3" straight pipe, straight-flow mufflers.
92' Dodge Stealth ES - SOLD!
http://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php?ti...D._Tail_Lights
http://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php?title=Paddle_Shifters
http://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php?ti...Steering_Wheel
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3847604
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/996619
http://www.3si.org/forum/garage/1239
ilian51378 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Slow Learner

Drives: Like a German
x2xtreme360 Level 1x2xtreme360 Level 1x2xtreme360 Level 1
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Default Re: Lowering Springs on Stock Struts

The thing with lowering springs is that they reduce the life of your struts. On top of that, installing lowering springs on your already old stock struts puts a crazy amount of stress on them since they're old already. Get new struts with your lowering springs. You'll need to replace the stock struts shortly after you install the lowering springs anyway... or spend $200-$300 more dollars and buy some Megan's coilovers. I think there is a GB going on right now for less than $800!

Vacuum reduction, Powdercoated misc, cruise relocate, Evo9 BOV, Custom catch cans, Russell fuel filter, SS braided fuel lines, High flow fuel loop, Autogage fuel gauge, Catless DP, DNP Y-pipe, Fuel pump hotwire.

FS/FT: 94 3000GT base $3k
x2xtreme360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: '94 3000GT
SkorpioLT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

yeah if I recall correctly, I got rear KYB's at like 70 ea, and front KYB's were like 80 ea, so thats extra 300. In either case, I dont think coilovers will come out cheaper than springs + struts.

10/2012 - R.I.P. 1994 3000GT
12/2012 - Revival process initiated.
SkorpioLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
JNS Engineering

Drives: 3000GT Spyder VR4
JimVR4 Level 1JimVR4 Level 1JimVR4 Level 1
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

I have springs coming and I plan to replace the stock struts. Pricing is about $127 each for a total of around $500. I know I'll have to transfer a bunch of parts from the old struts to the new. Is there anything that should just be replaced like bump stops or dust covers? Those parts run about $15-20 more per strut if needed. Or since it's not a DD should I just wait for the original struts to fail? As far as I know they don't leak at all yet.

Mod list (scroll down the page)
JNS Engineering has your Spyders covered (and uncovered too!!)
JimVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 95 Spyder SL
Murcielago is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
I have springs coming and I plan to replace the stock struts. Pricing is about $127 each for a total of around $500. I know I'll have to transfer a bunch of parts from the old struts to the new. Is there anything that should just be replaced like bump stops or dust covers? Those parts run about $15-20 more per strut if needed. Or since it's not a DD should I just wait for the original struts to fail? As far as I know they don't leak at all yet.
Nothing else should be replace if they are all in good shape. Just cut the bump stops according to the instructions that come with the teins. If you want to wait until they fail just remember you will have to to all that work again. Which is something I would rather just do once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatzvr4
warren from LMI is not a part of Beast
Warren is a part of Beast
WTF??? lol
Murcielago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 11:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
JNS Engineering

Drives: 3000GT Spyder VR4
JimVR4 Level 1JimVR4 Level 1JimVR4 Level 1
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielago View Post
Nothing else should be replace if they are all in good shape. Just cut the bump stops according to the instructions that come with the teins. If you want to wait until they fail just remember you will have to to all that work again. Which is something I would rather just do once.
I think I'll just go ahead and get new ECS struts. Maybe I'll compare the tein S with the H on the rear and decide which way I want to go. If the S looks all good I can always sell the H as new.
JimVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2010, 12:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: '05 M1151 Up-Armor
Vandreith Negative 3

Why is it that the stock shocks fail exactly? I dont really see how except maybe the stiffer springs pull on the shock slightly harder.
Not saying its a bad idea to replace the really old shocks while they are out, but i just dont understand how the lowering springs hurt them.
Vandreith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2010, 12:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Slow Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandreith View Post
Why is it that the stock shocks fail exactly? I dont really see how except maybe the stiffer springs pull on the shock slightly harder.
Not saying its a bad idea to replace the really old shocks while they are out, but i just dont understand how the lowering springs hurt them.
It's not only the stock ones that fail. Any shock fails prematurely when lowering springs are on them. It's just that when using the stock struts, they already have a lot of wear on them. Once you throw lowering springs on them they aren't going to last long. My rule of thumb is that when you want to put lowering springs on any car, always replace the struts. You have to get in there, remove the struts and the stock springs off the assembly so why not just get new struts and strut mounts and just do all the work at one time? You'll have to do it shortly down the road anyhow.

The real way to go is coilovers. For the price of Megan's, you'd probably be breaking even if you replaced the stock struts, mounts, and springs.... so I say just get adjustable coilovers.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: '05 M1151 Up-Armor
Vandreith Negative 3

Not to be a jerk but that still doesn't answer the question as to why. Im not arguing the fact that it is a good idea to go ahead and swap them out with new ones while they are out or just get coilovers. But the fact that springs add undue stress to the shocks doesnt make sense to me. The shocks hold no weight so the change in geometry of the suspension couldn't hurt them. I dont think the slightly quicker rebound rate could affect them that much or at all. I want to know exactly what happens to make shocks fail prematurely with lowered springs. What gets stressed out and breaks in them. Again not being a jerk or saying someone is wrong(yet) but i want to know exactly how shocks fail because it makes no sense to me.
Vandreith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Slow Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandreith View Post
Not to be a jerk but that still doesn't answer the question as to why. Im not arguing the fact that it is a good idea to go ahead and swap them out with new ones while they are out or just get coilovers. But the fact that springs add undue stress to the shocks doesnt make sense to me. The shocks hold no weight so the change in geometry of the suspension couldn't hurt them. I dont think the slightly quicker rebound rate could affect them that much or at all. I want to know exactly what happens to make shocks fail prematurely with lowered springs. What gets stressed out and breaks in them. Again not being a jerk or saying someone is wrong(yet) but i want to know exactly how shocks fail because it makes no sense to me.
In a nutshell, you're putting a lot of stress on a stock strut. It was designed to be at the height of the stock springs. With lowering springs, your shortening the length before the strut bottoms out and also increasing pressure inside the strut. It has to do with the spring rate.

It's really just a known fact that putting lowering springs on stock old or stock new struts will lessen the life of the strut. With stock new struts you're at least starting fresh. They will fail way earlier than they would had they been installed with the stock springs though. You really should always replace the struts when installing lowering springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Tires,Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.