Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Jesters EVOX knuckles and Big Brake Conversion

95K views 477 replies 68 participants last post by  EvilRB 
#1 · (Edited)
So I have worked on this modification for the last couple months. I have now test drove it for 500 miles and revealed it at the TXG15. After running into a dozen road blocks, I finally came up with a bolt in cheap solution for a BBK for our cars that still retains the ABS. The EVO X has 355mm front brakes with large Brembo calipers that can be installed on our cars. The EVO X calipers cannot be bolted to our VR4 knuckles due to an offset issue that cannot be fixed without heavy modification to the stock knuckle. However, the EVO knuckles can be installed on a VR4 then everything bolts up. It’s a mix of certain parts but the result is a bolt up setup that works great. The ball joints and tie rod ends are different for the evo knuckles. The evo lower ball joint and tie rod end wouldn’t fit the VR4 lower A-arm and new geometry. I had to get a custom set to work with the new setup. I am making a bulk order and will sell the ball joint and tie rod kits. I am not making much on these kits, I just want to re-coop my R&D costs. Your support is appreciated
Ok so here is what you will need and approx costs.
Evo X (2008-2016) Front Brembo Calipers($400 plus used)
Evo X (2008-2016) Rotors 355mm(1 piece or 2 piece MR rotors)($60 ea plus)
Evo 8/9 (2003-2007) Steering knuckle($80- $150 plus)
9/16 or 14mm drill bit
Evo 8/9 (2003-2007) ABS sensor – just buy a knuckle with an abs sensor still installed
My new ball joint tie rod end kit( 2x ball joints, 2x tie rods ends, abs spacers) $125/kit shipped pm me(price will go up to $150 after March 31 2016)
Paypal is Apape10@yahoo.com just make sure to put for evox brake kit.
Ships 1/8/16 and upto a week after every order going forward.
Custom stainless brake line kit( Hans @ GZP has a SS kit for front and back lines https://3swarehouse.com/product/brake-line-kit-for-evo-x-brakes/).

It seems like a lot of used calipers dont have the caliper bolts with them.
You need the evox caliper bolts.
It is mitsubishi part number 4605A164
I suggest just ordering from mits dealer it was like $5 for 2 of them for me.
And they were in stock.

Other tools
(ball joint fork, ball joint press) can be borrowed from your local auto parts store.

Instructions
Remove wheels
Remove stock VR4 front brakes
Remove stock VR4 knuckles
Remove stock VR4 bearings/hubs from knuckles
Remove stock VR4 ball joints
Remove stock VR4 tie rod ends(keep stock jam nut in same location to approx locate new tie rod end)
Install new ball joint into lower A-arm
Install new tie rod end
Install stock VR4 hub into Evo 8 knuckle. (Evo 8 and VR4 have the same bearing and hub)
Install Evo 8 knuckle on car
Install ABS sensor & spacers( 2x stainless steel washers per side)
Install Evo X rotors and brakes
Install new brake lines
Install wheels

Observed Benefits
Better braking
All stock replacement parts (pads, ect)
ABS actually seems to balance out.
Less bump steer
Look cool.
Any wheel that fits an evo will fit our car.
The stance, offset and ride height stay the same.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: lawdogg
#2 · (Edited)
Knuckle comparison
Ok the first pic shows the knuckles for the Stock VR4 - EVO 8 - EVO X
the ball joint location is the same however the balljoint type is different hence the special ball joint.
The Evo X knuckle will work but the ABS sensor is wrong and won't work and can't be modified. So you can use Evo X knuckles with an ABS delete.
The Evo 8 knuckle is perfect, you just have to drill out the caliper mount holes to 14mm. I used a step drill then a 14mm dril bit. the metal is easy to drill with the right bit.
The Evo 8 ABS sensors plug into the stock plugs and uses the stock wire mounts.
The Evo 8 sensors need two washers to space the sensor out from the knuckle to work with the VR4 abs rings.

The major difference is the tie rod end mounts. The Evo TR mount is 1" lower, shorter and further out.

This actually leads to a couple benefits.
Tighter turning radius.
The Evo knuckle acts as a defacto bump steer kit for the VR4. I have tested my car over very bumpy roads to test for bump steer and I don't notice any with these knuckles.
The wheel offset is the same as stock the ride height is the same as stock.

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
Rear Caliper installation and modification
Pictures below show rotors and tie rod end lugs.
You can install the rear calipers on the stock rotors in the stock location after 10 min with a file and hardened bolts.
I coundnt find a solution that wouldnt push the rotor out 5mm

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
Reserved for pictures
This is the kit new ball joint and the new tie rod end. Only top quality brand parts are used for the kit.

Attachments

#6 ·
Probabaly do a set of 10-20 kits and see how it goes from there.
Price will go up after group buy.

#9 ·
This is great.Any development for rear brakes?

#10 ·
So, the 1st gen and 2nd gen 3s wheels will not fit after this front brake conversion?

#12 ·
I'm in.

#16 ·
Exact same as stock.

#18 ·
No, only Evo.

#20 ·
sure... euro shipping add $25

#22 ·
Nice work. Love the mitsu-lego projects.

#26 ·
i think i'll be in for sure, just a couple questions:

-in your first post, you said "all stock replacement parts". but, you're saying we'll need your custom ball joint/ tie rod end kit. please elaborate. what car am I wanting to order these parts for whenever I need replacements?

-I have the stm abs delete kit on my car, which utilizes the stock style fitting into the caliper (brake line) what style of line is wanting to go into these evo x calipers?

-also concerning my abs delete: since my abs is deleted, can I get away with using evo 8/9 knuckles, or evo X knuckles?

If I indeed need custom ball joints/ tie rod ends, I can pay you for a set or two whenever, but I'd probably need you to hold off on shipping, as I'm in the process of relocating.

thanks

_isiah

also, thanks for doing all the work, and then sharing with us.

#28 ·
-I have the stm abs delete kit on my car, which utilizes the stock style fitting into the caliper (brake line) what style of line is wanting to go into these evo x calipers?

-also concerning my abs delete: since my abs is deleted, can I get away with using evo 8/9 knuckles, or evo X knuckles?
Also in for that answer since I am deleting my faulty ABS system soon as well.

#31 ·
Adam, You may want to clarify what exactly the group buy is for. Initially I thought it was for the entire kit "Rotors, Calipers, Front knuckles, Etc" but it looks like it is just for the parts you had to get made "Ball Joint".

Also like to know where you got the prices you are seeing as I'm seeing front EVO X calipers going for about $600 alone used.

#33 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.