Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Jesters EVOX knuckles and Big Brake Conversion

95K views 477 replies 68 participants last post by  EvilRB 
#1 · (Edited)
So I have worked on this modification for the last couple months. I have now test drove it for 500 miles and revealed it at the TXG15. After running into a dozen road blocks, I finally came up with a bolt in cheap solution for a BBK for our cars that still retains the ABS. The EVO X has 355mm front brakes with large Brembo calipers that can be installed on our cars. The EVO X calipers cannot be bolted to our VR4 knuckles due to an offset issue that cannot be fixed without heavy modification to the stock knuckle. However, the EVO knuckles can be installed on a VR4 then everything bolts up. It’s a mix of certain parts but the result is a bolt up setup that works great. The ball joints and tie rod ends are different for the evo knuckles. The evo lower ball joint and tie rod end wouldn’t fit the VR4 lower A-arm and new geometry. I had to get a custom set to work with the new setup. I am making a bulk order and will sell the ball joint and tie rod kits. I am not making much on these kits, I just want to re-coop my R&D costs. Your support is appreciated
Ok so here is what you will need and approx costs.
Evo X (2008-2016) Front Brembo Calipers($400 plus used)
Evo X (2008-2016) Rotors 355mm(1 piece or 2 piece MR rotors)($60 ea plus)
Evo 8/9 (2003-2007) Steering knuckle($80- $150 plus)
9/16 or 14mm drill bit
Evo 8/9 (2003-2007) ABS sensor – just buy a knuckle with an abs sensor still installed
My new ball joint tie rod end kit( 2x ball joints, 2x tie rods ends, abs spacers) $125/kit shipped pm me(price will go up to $150 after March 31 2016)
Paypal is Apape10@yahoo.com just make sure to put for evox brake kit.
Ships 1/8/16 and upto a week after every order going forward.
Custom stainless brake line kit( Hans @ GZP has a SS kit for front and back lines https://3swarehouse.com/product/brake-line-kit-for-evo-x-brakes/).

It seems like a lot of used calipers dont have the caliper bolts with them.
You need the evox caliper bolts.
It is mitsubishi part number 4605A164
I suggest just ordering from mits dealer it was like $5 for 2 of them for me.
And they were in stock.

Other tools
(ball joint fork, ball joint press) can be borrowed from your local auto parts store.

Instructions
Remove wheels
Remove stock VR4 front brakes
Remove stock VR4 knuckles
Remove stock VR4 bearings/hubs from knuckles
Remove stock VR4 ball joints
Remove stock VR4 tie rod ends(keep stock jam nut in same location to approx locate new tie rod end)
Install new ball joint into lower A-arm
Install new tie rod end
Install stock VR4 hub into Evo 8 knuckle. (Evo 8 and VR4 have the same bearing and hub)
Install Evo 8 knuckle on car
Install ABS sensor & spacers( 2x stainless steel washers per side)
Install Evo X rotors and brakes
Install new brake lines
Install wheels

Observed Benefits
Better braking
All stock replacement parts (pads, ect)
ABS actually seems to balance out.
Less bump steer
Look cool.
Any wheel that fits an evo will fit our car.
The stance, offset and ride height stay the same.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: lawdogg
#177 ·
For example,
Would 9'' make it out front? If not would 12'' be to long? Would 9'' be to long out back? I'd imagine you can tie them back as needed?

If these will work; Russell sells the parts to make the lines completely off the shelf:

Universal Brake Hose - Brake and Clutch Hose - Russell Performance Products
Adapter Fittings - Brake and Clutch Hose - Russell Performance Products

No wait (parts readily available on amazon), all quality product and I rough calculated about $145 total in parts.

Thoughts?

#184 ·
Those 9" long ones may work on the front with those 3an to inverted flare adapters. However you do not want extra long one to tie off. There isn't a ton of room in there. That would also look like crap. Needless to say you increase your wear/rub or damage potential. Plus you are getting close to the cost of custom lines anyway at that cost. The rear are the same way, there is just not a lot of room.

Remember you are saving a ton on a normal big brake kit anyway.

#178 ·
So, would y'all recommend starting a PayPal dispute with a vendor that doesn't deliver for 2 months on paid items? Or should I continue to have faith that he'll do right and deliver eventually?

I've already missed the first two auto-x events this year so I think I'm taking the year off. Smh...

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

#180 ·
#181 ·
#183 ·
Those look way too long.

#185 ·
With 2 piece MR rotors, they are lighter than stock.

#186 ·
Fronts calipers came today, holy shit are they huge compare to stock! Knuckles should be here tomorrow and hopefully remaining parts soon after!

Rears will be going on soon.

I can't really say this was a "needed" upgrade aside from bling factor for the garage queen but she's worth it!

#187 ·
Making your own lines then? Good luck. Pics when you get em on!

#189 ·
My kit is coming in from 3SW this week! Don't know if ill get them on this weekend or not.

#191 ·
2g stealth 18s cleared so I would think so. I don't know if anyone has confirmed 2g vr4s yet though.

#193 · (Edited)
Don't brake line kits usually come with the fittings that mate into the calipers? My Brembos didn't have any banjo bolts and the 3sw kit didn't come with any.

Interestingly enough though, stock lines thread right into the brembo caliper. Too bad they would probably leak all over.

#194 ·
Not usually, no. That's part of the caliper and one of the key points to this conversion staying affordable. You need to make sure you have all the little bits and pieces or it can add up fast. ABS sensors in the knuckles are crazy expensive so that's essential. You can usually get new hardware with the brake pads but that also adds cost. The stock line may screw into the hole but there will be no fluid flowing , it's not designed to work that way the banjo bolts are Hollow

#198 ·
Adam,
What exactly did you run into with the rear evo rotors? You mentioned 5mm offset? Can you elaborate? I know you said in the end it wasn't worth the effort b/c the stocks fit fine.
I however have alternate motive as I picked up a set of front and rear girodisc 2 piece rotors. I'll dig into it as soon as the arrive but any feedback you have on the topic would be appreciated.

#199 ·
Maybe I'm dumb here, and while not ideal, why not just get an inverted flare to banjo adaptor for the line?

#201 ·
Im just getting oem from dealership. Almost 60 bucks for all 4 corners though...

#203 ·
Evo 8/9. That's what calipers I'm using (not evo x)

#206 ·
Same. If I can get this damned ball joint bolt off tonight I will at least do a quick mount of the knuckle/hub/rotor/caliper and stock stealth 17 swirlies to see if it clears. Gonna be a week or so for parts to actually run em.

#205 ·
Not sure if these will be the same for evo x, but here are the parts numbers I ordered from cherry hill.

2x MB082326 (front banjo bolts)
2x MU001458 (rear banjo bolts)
8x MA111832 (crush washers)

Only 40 bucks shipped to Hawai'i which was 20 cheaper than ordering through the honolulu Mitsubishi dealership.

#208 ·
Tested fitment of stock stealth 17s over evo8/9 calipers today.

Everything seemed to clear until I tightened down the lugs. Face of the wheel clears fine, but there is a lip on the outermost part of the inner rim that interferes with the caliper just enough to stop it from rotating. Im pretty sure that 1mm of machining on either the caliper or wheel will allow it to clear.
Caliper also hit the balancing weights that were mounted though. I don't think it is worth it to try. I really wanted to keep my ugly stock chromies for moar sleeper (and they have 4 fresh tires) but alas, it wasn't meant to be. Now I have to sell these 8/9 brembos, and rotors, and get some X brakes. [emoji14]
I already have evo x mr wheels, but they will need tires. Ill probably just run the 8/9s until a good deal on the Xs pops up.
Few more pics to show interference. You can see where the caliper paint rubbed off on the rim.

For sale: stock chrome stealth 17s with fresh rubber. Shipping from Hawaii [emoji15]

#210 ·
Wouldn't a really small spacer fix that?

#211 ·
Possible. I hate spacers but... Worth a shot.

#212 ·
I'd sooner use a 3mm spacer than go crazy changing everything, but then again, I modified my 2g calipers to keep my 17" wheel setup. Now that I'm going Evo X brakes, I'm going to use the Evo wheels as well.

#215 ·
They look beautiful. Ought to have you do mine. They look rough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.