Grime is stuck to my rims like glue...what can I use to get it off? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Tires,Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2005, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Syn
Forum Member

Drives: 2006 S2000
Syn is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Default Grime is stuck to my rims like glue...what can I use to get it off?

My rims have had this grimy crap that looks to be a mix of just about anything you can find on the road for a while now. It's only in some spots so it's not like the rims are coated in it, but I have a feeling the reason it never came off is because it happened during winter and sludge + salt + ice etc. all add up to dirty wheels..and mine have stayed that way after several washes now.

Is there some kind of product I can use to lift this crap off my rims without damaging them? This stuff is caked on pretty good--I can barely even start to scrape it off with a key (which I only tried on one tiny spot to see if it would come off that way).
Syn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2005, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 99 VR4
SHiVeR-91VR4 Level 1SHiVeR-91VR4 Level 1
Feedback Score: 114 reviews
Default Re: Grime is stuck to my rims like glue...what can I use to get it off?

best stuff ever is eagle one wheel cleaner. It comes in a few different forms, mag wheel cleaner, chrome cleaner, alum cleaner, etc.

Just get what you need. That will take it off immediately. You can get it at autozone for $5 or so.

There are like 20 ingredients and 90% of them are some type of caustic acid, the stuff is the SHIT!
SHiVeR-91VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2005, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
resident evil

wraith Level 2wraith Level 2wraith Level 2wraith Level 2wraith Level 2wraith Level 2
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

If one of your boots is leaking CV axle grease, you may need to use gasoline or diesal fuel to clean off the grease. Those wheel cleaners will not take it off without getting your hands dirty with a scrub brush. I think I emptied a can of brake cleaner on one of my wheels and ruined a nylon hard bristle brush to clean the goop off my wheel.

Sam
Old 03-24-2005, 03:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
NA=SuxCity

Drives: 3000SL
ak1200 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

first fix the grease leak from your cv boot, then wash.
ak1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Tires,Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.