stumped. crazy idle running super rich - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1992 Stealth ES
nscassera is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default stumped. crazy idle running super rich

video says it all, sort of, the car runs super rich (strong smell of gas in exhaust) idles wildly and will NOT drive. If i unplug the sensor it's just really down on power up till around 3K. Replaced the Maf 3 times to confirm that isn't the issue. could it be a wiring issue?
nscassera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Re: stumped. crazy idle running super rich

Old 01-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 94 Dodge Stealth
yeoj112689 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Have you checked the caps on the ECU to see if they are leaking? I know it causes all kinds of crazy problems when it goes bad.

When you have your sensor unplugged it does go into set power intervals.

When you replaced your sensors did any work?

When I replaced my intake, I had taken off the sound baffle and it did effect it, in a different way. It would stall as I slowed.

I am not sure if this would cause this problem but check your IAC. It is in your throttle body and could be bad.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

i'll pull out my ecu tomorrow and check. it's just such a weird coincidence that this happened right after the install. i guess it might not be a coincidence its just odd to me how the maf being plugged in could surface an issue with the ecu or other part. how might you go about checking the IAC for continuity?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 94 Dodge Stealth
yeoj112689 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Well the ECU is a great first place to check out on the early model cars either way to make sure they are not leaking. I have the caps you can have them if you pay shipping. The cost a total of 83 cents i think lol.

As for the IAC i think there is a process to check it, you may need a multi meter and look at the manual for a way to test it.

You can try to pull it and clean it but most times if its messing up cleaning it may not help. I did however pull mine and it helped. Worth a check!
yeoj112689 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
got boost

Drives: 91 stealth rt tt
camaro0281 Negative 1
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoj112689 View Post
Well the ECU is a great first place to check out on the early model cars either way to make sure they are not leaking. I have the caps you can have them if you pay shipping. The cost a total of 83 cents i think lol.

As for the IAC i think there is a process to check it, you may need a multi meter and look at the manual for a way to test it.

You can try to pull it and clean it but most times if its messing up cleaning it may not help. I did however pull mine and it helped. Worth a check!
ya i dont think unplugging the maf sensor is going to change the ecu's mind lol... look up the fuel pump mod on stealth316.com... the car runs 6 volts to the pump until the 2000 range rpm... then switches to 12 volts.... mine doin same thing runs like crap until unplug maf sensor..... i changed iac, did the fuel pump relay, unplugged the ecs.. and its running alot better!
Old 01-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

i was thinking the same thing camaro haha yeah i'll do that relay tomorrow and see if that help and i'll pull the ecu just because it probably needs the caps replaced anyway. i'd buy them from here but i can get them faster from radioshack and the money isn't a huge issue. however is there a thread on here outlining the specs for the capacitors? i can't find it anywhere! thanks guys
Old 01-05-2013, 03:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
got boost

Drives: 91 stealth rt tt
camaro0281 Negative 1
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

not real sure but i thought there was only three to replace... hmmm. prolly cause ebay sells in sets of three lol... yap homework time.. thats the one thing i havent changed was the caps in my ecu... caps looked clean to me... someone correct me if im wrong but.. i think the caps being needed replaced controll the injectors? hence the low impedance injectors... which is grounded inside the ecu...
camaro0281 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: '91 Stealth R/T
caszboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Have you done anything to the car lately? Or did it just start running bad?

I have a 91 and my ECU looked good, but ended up being the problem. Do you hear a clicking inside the cab coming from the ECU? That was how I could tell that was the problem. It also smelled slightly "fishy" when I opened it too.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1993 Stealth ES
Stampede10343 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

There's a couple tests for the harness connector that you should probably check and on the MAF itself its on page 13A-87 in the manual off of 3SX. All you need is a voltmeter and you can check the plug and at least rule that out. Good luck with everything!
Stampede10343 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.