rattling noise upon cold start. - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2004, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

blackthunda77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default rattling noise upon cold start.

i recently started hearing a rattling noise after i turn over the ignition like 1 second AFTER the car starts. i also realized that its mostly upon cold starts. it did it yeaterday b4 going to church, after i got to church which is like a 20 min drive, i turned the car off and restareted it and it didnt do the noise any more. any ideas?? also can someone give me a link to a site which has a diagram of a 96 3000gt nonturbo dash console, i bought the car used and dont have a manual. a light recently came on , which i belive to be low coolant level but im not sure. thanks.
blackthunda77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2004, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fast, but Safe

Drives: 94 TT, CBR1100XX, G6
ominousone is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Default Re: rattling noise upon cold start.

Well, I had a similar (?) rattling sound a couple months after a Mitsu dealer did a T-belt. It was only evident when cold out and went away once warmed up after a few minutes. Eventually the the belt locked up becuase the waterpump or tensioner seized up and bent 8 valves.

An expensive lesson to learn, but I was brand new to the car and knew the belt needed replacing but knew nothing about the other stuff. The dealers seem to NOT recommend replacing the other stuff. Assholes!!

I would check to make sure the w-pump is NOT leaking and have a reputable 3s person check out the noise, even if you leave it for the night. The money you save could be your own..

ominousone
Joe Yu = sold me a poorly rebuilt shortblock.
|4x4 NV|, now Barefoot = sold me a tranny that he just had apart for pix, and he assembled just in time for shipping. It grenaded just a few miles after M-Spec installed in my car. Now, I'm screwed by this member for $800.00. Swell guy, until it came to backing up his high-priced, supposedly perfect, tranny.
realmopars = sold me a used bumper that he advertised on 3si as brand new. I am out $400.00.
y8x and sslowe79 both sold me rear bumpers for 200.00 and never sent them.
Make sure to protect yourself when dealing with these "fellow 3ser's"!
ominousone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2004, 01:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
ABC
Forum Member

ABC is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthunda77
i recently started hearing a rattling noise after i turn over the ignition like 1 second AFTER the car starts. i also realized that its mostly upon cold starts. it did it yeaterday b4 going to church, after i got to church which is like a 20 min drive, i turned the car off and restareted it and it didnt do the noise any more. any ideas?? also can someone give me a link to a site which has a diagram of a 96 3000gt nonturbo dash console, i bought the car used and dont have a manual. a light recently came on , which i belive to be low coolant level but im not sure. thanks.

I think I have the same problem as you but I would describe mine more like the sound of water flowing and it also only happens when I start the car for the first time. It only lasts a few seconds and then goes away. The sound seems to be coming from the dash but I'm pretty sure that's not the source of the sound. At first, I thought maybe my coolant was partially frozen and that's what caused the noise but I checked the coolant overflow and it was still liquid. I'm not sure what it is but would like to know as well. It's got me worried.

Also, about the light on your dash, what does the sign look like and where is it located? If it's at the lower right hand side and looks like a little building, then it's the coolant light.

Last edited by ABC; 01-12-2004 at 01:37 PM.
ABC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2004, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
gomu! gomu! gomu! rocket!

Elravager is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I started getting a rattle from the drive belt too, oh well I am getting my 60k done as soon as I get the parts in, meanwhile the wife is outta town so I'll be zippin' round town in a civic.
Elravager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2004, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fast, but Safe

Drives: 94 TT, CBR1100XX, G6
ominousone is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews

Actually, mine sounded like there were some loose ball bearings or just a bearing that needed some oil, for a few minutes til it warmed up. Then, one day, I pulled up to a stoplight and the the car ideled downa and quit. It started again and ran a block to my house and quit again. Only to restart a couple weeks, and a couple thousand $$, later.

Don't screw around, these engines are very quiet when nothing is wrong. It's telling you something and it should be checked out..

Good luck,
ominousone
ominousone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2004, 05:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
will work for turbo

Drives: 1996 DOHC NA 5spd
ewang9394 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I hear that sound once in a long while coming from the engine or underneath the car upon a cold start in the morning. I don't know where it's coming from but once I turn off the engine and restart it, it's gone. Weird. It doesn't do that all the time. Lets say I start the car once everyday for a week. Maybe it will only happen once or sometimes it happens like once a month. Sounds like a timing belt thing but not sure. Lemme know what you guys have found out.
ewang9394 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2004, 08:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Addicted to Power

Drives: Wild
Iceguy2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I believe it's where the cold oil has ran to the bottom of the engine, and you have to wait for the oil to lube the lifters/valves. They are noisy to begin with, but bad when left sitting and being cold.
TD04-15G Turbos, 550cc injectors, 255lph Walbro fuel pump (hotwired), Manual Boost Controller, Intake, Custom True Dual Exhaust (No Mufflers/No Cats), Ross 8.5:1 Forged Pistons, Apexi S-AFC, Intrax Springs, Drilled and Slotted Rotors, and more...

Iceguy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.