Need to replace the rack in pinion assembly - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1995 Base 3000GT
jking is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Need to replace the rack in pinion assembly

After taking my car, 1995 base 3000gt, into Goodyear to check the alignment i was informed that the rack and pinion assembly needed to be replaced along with the lower control arm bushings. I was a little sticker shocked when they quoted me close to $2000.

I am hoping someone has a pdf of the Factory Service Manual so I can try and do this myself. Or if anyone has instructions for this.

Thanks for any assistance!

Last edited by jking; 02-17-2009 at 03:37 PM.
jking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Classified

Drives: 2006 Yamaha R1
jer3596 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Default Re: Need to replace the rack in pinion assembly

Its pretty easy to replace the rack. Why do you need to replace it? I got my rack off of ebay. It was only 90 with a 65$ core. I know its e-bay but it works great.

Tie down the steering wheel so its straight. Jack up the car, Remove the front tires, remove plastic engine/tranny covers. And remove the tie rod ends from hub/brake assembly, then remove tie rods from rack.

There's 4 bolts, 1 pinch bolt, and 2 hard lines. The pinch bolt is located on top of the pinion assembly. There's a boot located on the left side of the car at the bottom of the firewall, its under the boot, easy access from where the engine cover was. Remove the bolt all the way. Remove the sway bar to free up room. 2 end links and 4 bolts, 2 on each side of the car. Remove the hard lines attached to the pinion assembly. Remove the tie Then remove the 4 bolts that hold the rack up. You rack should just come out with a little bit of wiggling. The way I had to remove the rack is by the exhaust. I removed the bolts that connect to the rear manifold and was able to pull down on the exhaust. Gives the rack a little bit more room to move. Pull it over to the right side of the car until the bar that holds the tie rod end can be fed through the space thats left of the down pipe.

For install, just center the new rack and install the same way you removed it.

The bar I was talking about is all the way to the left. >>>> is the left side just FYI
jer3596 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 03:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
most people SUCK at life

Drives: 93 dodge stealth tt
Twizzler93tt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

here ya go hope this helps

1.Disconnect the negative battery cable. Disarm the air bag.

2.Disconnect the front exhaust pipe.
3.If equipped with AWD, remove the transfer case assembly.
4.Remove the bolt holding the lower steering column joint to the rack and pinion input shaft.
5.Remove the cotter pins and disconnect the tie rod ends.
6.Remove the left and right frame members.
7.Remove the stabilizer bar bracket.
8.If equipped with four-wheel steering, disconnect the lines going to the rear pump.
9.Remove the rack and pinion steering assembly and its rubber mounts. Move the rack to the right to remove it from the crossmember. Use caution to avoid damaging the boots.

To install:

1.Install the rack and install the mounting bolts, tightening bolts to 51 ft. lbs. (70 Nm). When installing the rubber rack mounts, align the projection of the mounting rubber with the indentation in the crossmember. Install the pinch bolt.
2. Reconnect the lines going to the four-wheel steering rear pump and to the rack itself.
3.Reinstall the frame members and torque the bolts to 4351 ft. lbs. (6070 Nm).
4.Reconnect the tie rods and Install new cotter pins.
5.Reinstall the transfer case and front exhaust pipe.
6.Refill the reservoir and bleed the system.
7.Perform a front end alignment.

chris
Old 02-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1995 Base 3000GT
jking is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! I appreciate the help.

Quote:
Why do you need to replace it?
They told me that there was a slow leak on the drivers side. A very small amount of fluid is getting past the boot on the rack.

Jeremy
jking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: '92 3000GT NA-Dohc
dogbert-22 is an unknown quantity at this point

A slow leak? I smell a rat here, someone trying to "write a little business" by creating a problem where there really isn't one. If it's a slow leak, you can try replacing some of the power steering fluid (use a cheap turkey baster to suck out the old fluid) with some power steering fluid that has some "stop leak" additive in it. The active ingredient is usually a chemical that causes the o-ring seals to soften/swell a little bit, thereby extending the rack life a little bit. It is not a miracle cure-all and at some point you'll be faced with replacing the rack (easy to do, use the e-bay method to save $$), but this might buy you some time. Replacing the offending o-rings is such a PITA, that most people just put in a rebuilt rack. $2K is a bit out of control imho... Get the rack and then either put it in yourself or shop around for a better quote. If you do replace the rack, spend the $60 and replace the tie-rods/ends while you're at it as they don't always come with the new rack...
dogbert-22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 03:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lawn Ornament Since '08

Drives: a FRS, Mitsus sleep
AshyBone is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Going to dig up dead and burried thread here, But when they said (thinking no one from the thread still posts) to remove the hard lines to the rack assembly, I have to disconnect all of them and then pry out the lines from the rack itself? I unscrewed two but they wont just pull out. Do I have to use "force"?
Old 05-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

ahull84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshyBone View Post
Going to dig up dead and burried thread here, But when they said (thinking no one from the thread still posts) to remove the hard lines to the rack assembly, I have to disconnect all of them and then pry out the lines from the rack itself? I unscrewed two but they wont just pull out. Do I have to use "force"?

Did you get your rack off yet? How did it go? Hahah im replacing mine this weekend i have a bad leak in mine! got mine on Ebay for 120 with new tie rod ends..
ahull84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lawn Ornament Since '08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahull84 View Post
Did you get your rack off yet? How did it go? Hahah im replacing mine this weekend i have a bad leak in mine! got mine on Ebay for 120 with new tie rod ends..
Ya I got mine out and in. Some notes for you or anyone that is doing this for the first time. Getting it out is easy. Back in sucks balls.
1. When re-installing the rack, use a jack. It will save your arms. Put the rack in place and USING LINE WRENCHES tighten the fluid lines on the passenger side so the rack will hold itself up. (not sure if this is good to do but its what I did.)
2. Put a piece of wood on the jack and then push the rack up (with the jack, again saving your arms) till you can get the U bracket and bushings lined up where they need to be and bolt it in. Repeat for the other side.
3. and this is where I fucked up. If the bolt that goes into the steering column doesn't thread through easily DO NOT FORCE IT. I royally fucked up my bolt and I'm pretty sure I messed up the thread in the whole... Yay.

Those are the main places I had trouble but other then that everything worked out. Now I only have a leak from the aws dohicky...
AshyBone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

ahull84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshyBone View Post
Ya I got mine out and in. Some notes for you or anyone that is doing this for the first time. Getting it out is easy. Back in sucks balls.
1. When re-installing the rack, use a jack. It will save your arms. Put the rack in place and USING LINE WRENCHES tighten the fluid lines on the passenger side so the rack will hold itself up. (not sure if this is good to do but its what I did.)
2. Put a piece of wood on the jack and then push the rack up (with the jack, again saving your arms) till you can get the U bracket and bushings lined up where they need to be and bolt it in. Repeat for the other side.
3. and this is where I fucked up. If the bolt that goes into the steering column doesn't thread through easily DO NOT FORCE IT. I royally fucked up my bolt and I'm pretty sure I messed up the thread in the whole... Yay.

Those are the main places I had trouble but other then that everything worked out. Now I only have a leak from the aws dohicky...

cool thanks for all the advice i will def head it lol, that sucks about your aws leak...its always something, good luck!
btw ashy i posted on the oil pressure sender if you didnt already figure it out

Last edited by ahull84; 05-25-2011 at 09:05 PM.
ahull84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lawn Ornament Since '08

Oh I haven't seen it yet thanks for letting me know... Now I just gotta find that thread again lol it kinda pops up randomly and I find it.
AshyBone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.