Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

My NA Race Car build.

29K views 203 replies 34 participants last post by  Choguy03 
#1 · (Edited)
My NA Race Car build (GTWizards Car)

I have been itching for so long to do a build like this, I really have - I've regretted not doing this with my Stealth as oppose to Twin Turboing it like I did, and I regret even more selling my old 200whp SL from several years back.

As some of you know, I agreed to buy Don Langlois (GTwizards) car from his son Ryan, As soon as I saw it was for sale, I got a hold of Ryan, put a deposit on the car, and bought a plane ticket.

I like to extend a extra big thanks and shout out to Dons son Ryan, and Dons wife - Both were extremely generous and awesome people - They really went out of their way to make my trip easier.

Finally picked up the new car in Texas, and drove it back to Wisconsin - The car was wonderful on the 16 hour drive - I honestly couldn't stop driving it even though I had too, rowing the gears shifting at 8,000 RPMS is everything I always thought it would be on the 6G72, the Throttle response is so quick, and its the most satisfying thing when rev matching down shifts because it takes such little effort on the pedal to get the rpms up.

The sound it makes specifically from the Intake side, is pretty addicting too - reminds me of older naturally aspirated IMSA cars.

I say with confidence its faster than my BPU 10:1 VR4 - especially after jumping in the VR4 right after driving this car... We will find out for sure soon though. It made 240whp last time it was dyno'd that was before the new 4" Intake Manifold, Throttle Body, and Intake piping.

I'll be sure to get some quality videos soon.

I have some really great things in store for this car, it's going to me my 80% Race car/20% street car, while the VR4 will be the opposite...

It will, always and forever be Naturally aspirated - I plan to break the 300whp mark with it relatively soon.

I'm going to start off with cleaning the car up - I want to re do some of the wiring since I'm not crazy about how its done and then the modifications will start, but honestly the car doesn't need much.

I was geeking out over the the HID Yellow Fog Lights that came as a surprise to me when it got dark enough to turn on the lights - This was just out side STL, on the IL side.

Coffee with friends back home the next day. Got to take the car through some turns, feels so light on its feet - even though they are old, the NT01's feel pretty great. Don had a pretty aggressive set of brake pads on the NA brakes that once hot felt pretty great surprisingly..

Much needed car wash

That 4" Intake is glorious - I've got some awesome surprises for this to make it look and work better already in the making *Cough* Carbon fiber duct, and Piping *Cough*

See less See more
#2 ·
So got the car home - after a much needed nap, decided to pull the "interior" and clean the car - It was extremely dusty, full of dirt, leaves, mud, bugs, etc.

I forgot to take more before pictures :( but you can expect that for the whole interior.

Moar free speed. probably 30lbs removed here.

Believe it or not, this is after it was clean - Hard to tell.

Nothing dramatic, sorry, I'm so beat from this weekend, once it got dark i kind of hit a energy wall, or lack of persay. - finished the night off with throwing some primer, then paint down in the car - the hatch area got some fresh silver, and for under where the carpet will go just some basic black because it was cheaper. Ground down and painted the fuel hat cover as well.

I plan to return some interior to the car, I want a dash, and center console. Door panels are there, and I will be putting carpet back in as well, but removing all the insulation/padding from it since there's alot of weight to remove from it.

#4 ·
Great to see this living on!
I can also tell you, if you want to do some of your own mods but actually do things that work, grab this book and have a read. I can tell you now there's top end improvement in tat intake manifold alone

NEW Four Stroke Performance Tuning BY A Graham Bell English Free Shipping 9780857331250 | eBay

That's the guy who built my 4L NA.
He concentrates on the 6G74 SOHC 24v Diamante engine in this version, so alot of stuff which is applicable to our engines.

Now, hopefully mine still makes more power :p Although 8K shifts would be epic!

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks, I'll look into it. The car is still on the tune from the old intake setup - So there's probably power left on the table there. Car is still on the stock bottom end/compression.

Higher compression, then higher redline after.

Before that happens though, there's alot of other things that need upgrading.

Safety first - All of the electrical will get redone, and isolated. Dry Cell battery, Main power cutoff, etc.
Next will be a Full Cage, FIA Approved harness, and of course seats, then I'll be upgrading the Rotors and calipers.

Car will be getting a GTO SR Drivetrain...soo AWD...

followed by bushings, and suspension. Then the car will be ready for Power upgrades. Once power upgrades are mostly complete.

....I'm thinking Dog box.

#8 ·
I believe they are 9.5.. Has 265 NT01s on them now and they look slightly slightly stretched... Will be going up to 275's and if I feel its still not enough grip, then I will probably consider 10.5s

#11 ·
I have a black dash if you want it. Come get it. Moving soon.

#13 ·
Thanks for the offer man, but I still have my stealth, so i will pull the dash from it.

Awesome! But I say the most impressive thing to me is that you made the trip in 16 hours :D

Took me 14 just to drive from Denver to Austin. Texas is too damn big!
Was actually pretty terrible time, GPS said 14.5

I was doing 80-110 most of the drive but I took lengthy breaks about every 150-200 miles.

#14 ·
Busy last few days at work this week - finally had time to mess with the car, I've ordered a bunch of goodies for the car... I promise it gets more interesting than this

#15 ·
Couple basic things, still waiting on parts

I hate the Aluminium/Non Dampening Pulleys.... For obvious reasons as seen here (No this isn't a result of me beating on the pulley)
I also do not care for the under drive pulleys so I went ahead and ordered a new crank pulley.

Now the A/C was deleted, but the belt was just a short belt forced onto the upper pulley. No lower pulley, tensioner, etc. I ran a setup like that awhile back on my old black car, but i remember i had a issue with it slipping belts, and throwing belts... Plus its a pain to get them on. So this is how I do it on all cars I work on now.

Getting the engine bay cleaned up

Did a few other misc things, cleaned up some more of the wiring, tucked things. Did the alignment on the car. it handles fantastic - feels extremely light on its feat, turn in is super sharp and quick. Changed the oil, checked the spark plugs.

Video of its nice chompy idle.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6mVTcCCBkZ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#17 ·
Thanks man. I've been mainly focusing on getting the car cleaned up and dialed in. It's paying off very quickly.

I'm not one to play street racer believe it or not, but I am victim of impromptu street races and using them to verify performance.

Coming home from a meet thursday night I put 2 cars on a Stock EVO9 from 75-130. Very satisfying
Today my friends BPU 95 VR4 on 14 psi, put about a 1.5 lengths on the NA from 40ish to 130ish while I was the one driving the VR4. the VR4 definetly has a advantage with the longer gears.

while I was still driving the VR4, a random 6.0L GTO (confirmed it was indeed a 6.0L) rolled up on us, and we did a quick 40 Roll.... the VR4 put about 2.5-3 cars on him from 40, letting out somewhere in the 120-135mph range...

Sooo, unless the VR4 randomly picked up a ton of power in a span of 2 mins, the NA is faster than a 6.0L GTO, haha. That' was pretty awesome.

Anyways, enough fast and the furious talk.

Yesterday I had a laundry list of things to do.

* Leveled Suspension, car had a bit of a rake going on, I'm guessing due to the roughness of Dons Driveway
* Rotated tires, I'm not sure if they have been rotated since they were new, the fronts were pretty well worn while the rears looked largely untouched.
* Touched up the primer to clean the car up
* Painted red calipers also. Looks kinda goofy with the Yellow EBC brake pads, but those won't be staying because EBC is crap.

While under the car I got a nice surprise - Aftermarket sway bars both front and rear.

Also was having problems with shifts coming off/near 8,000 RPMs when shifting fastish, car wouldn't grind, just would like lock me out of the gear. I bled the clutch and adjusted the rod for the pedal, this fixed this issue.

Then this morning I drove it out to the 2nd to last Lake Mills Cars and coffee of the year.

here's a few randoms.. The NA really grabbed alot of peoples attention with the hood open everytime I would look int its direction, usually 2 or 3 people looking very closely at it.

40K mile, one owner stealth in the overflow, Oh yeah and a MP4-12C...but I know a guy that dailys one in the Wisconsin winter and snow so meh :D haha.

Few Lambos, my friend Chris owns the Middle Huracan with the Black wheels...

A wild 918 appeared...

I've got about 500 pictures...but I'm not about to post all of them. haha.

#18 ·
Awesome dude .
That road is hell on cars lol
I am happy it is getting tended to .
Yeh if I ain't mistaken that aftermarket sway bay had probably fitted by him .
I asked him if we could do it on my NA and started telling me about him doing some type of adjustment on it to his car .
Do you know what brand it is ?

#19 ·
Addco I believe, I think they are the only ones who ever made any for the FWD - I did some quick research earlier, and I think what he did was what 3SX later started selling theirs to be done - if you look on their website. You should see what i mean with the brackets.

#22 ·
Some things to add, This will probably be the last weekend the car see's alot of day light - other then occasionally rolling it out for a day the next few months - It will be in storage.

There are a few issues I need to tackle as well.

The first being the biggest - During alot of hard driving/WOT time - The temperture is all over the place - does't really overheat until an extensive amount of driving - When I go to check the coolant - it is extremely low.. I cannot find any leaks, No coolant in the oil, doesn't appear to be burning it either but I am not ruling it out.. During normal driving, extended idling, etc. I have had zero issues with temps.

I have noticed the Overflow pushing coolant when I park it after a long drive sometimes - I replaced the radiator cap, and it seemed to have helped, but the stock overflow is also mounted very low in the car, so I am wondering if that has something to do with that as well.

Did a coolant flush on it, and added water wetter - didn't really seem to help... I'm thinking too maybe the car is running no thermostat either.... I'm going to compression test the engine next - that will tell me alot. Otherwise It performs awesome!

Also got rid of the ugly airbag-less stock steering wheel

and I have the engine bay looking how I want

These came in the mail... This car already has adjustable gears - but I heard they are known to slip - no signs of this yet, but I'd like to be better safe and sorry, plus I agreed to buy these before I ever knew I was even buying this car, and had the intent to do a NA build.

#26 ·
That is very true I can't believe you did 18 hrs in it.

#25 ·
Nice to see this car went to a good home.

#30 ·
That is very true I can't believe you did 18 hrs in it.
Hey thanks! I may reach out to you soon for a little assistance on the Chrome ECU.

Yeah, I made it about 3 hours before I bought the ear muffs, haha. I had stopped several times before doing some quick tinkering with the car - There was a issue with a dead spot in the throttle - I managed to band-aid it by adjusting the TPS to make it go away - but I'm not convinced it was the issue... It also wouldn't idle because the Throttle Stop Screw had vibrated itself out and since there is no valves, solenoids, or air passage ways to control idle, the TB would close completely and engine would die...Managed to bandaid that too by just over tightening the cable enough to pull the TB open and allow the car to idle.

I'm glad I got two sets of adjustable gears myself . Gotta assemble my 3.9L block this winter , haven't decided what cams to use for an NA build, I have 1&2 g tt cams as well as some IPS 280280 regrinds. What's your opinion? And what's in your beast.?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
From what I have been told they are one off 292/292 regrinds.

I'm not an expert on cams - From what I gather, which cams you want specifically on a NA Engine all depends on what kind of power you want to make, how high you plan to rev to make it, and how streetable you want the car to be.

engine bay look good
Thanks man - I've never really been worried about the outside cosmetics too much - but always a priority to keep the engine bay exceptionally nice.

It would be cool to see an n/a run 12s.

Why are you ditching the Underdrive pulley? As an na I would think you want every last bit of power.
I'm sure this car will do it if I can get it off the line quick enough. Right now the tires are very old, and very hard so they don't hook up at all.

I originally was going to do a half mile drag event with the car earlier this month - but with the tires in the shape they are in, it was a bad idea *Fear of highspeed blowouts*

It is getting a AWD 6 Speed, so that will eliminate the traction issues - Car will remain light enough, and keep making more and more power for the added weight to not really be an issue - I will be doing things to further remove weight from the car as well.

For the crank pulley The whole point of the factory crank pulley being a Harmonic Balancer is to eliminate vibration in the lower rotating assembly - Removing that can potentially cause issues, and or excessive wear...

I've personally never seen any issues like that come off - but the pulleys seem to have a bad habit of coming off while driving, as this one did. Torquing them to spec is very difficult especially without any holes for a pulley holder tool.

One of those, better safe then sorry things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.