Mitsubishi 3000gt 5-speed Transmission Problems! - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

corvetteguy1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Default Mitsubishi 3000gt 5-speed Transmission Problems!

Hey, Im having problems with my 5-speed transmission. When im going down the high way in fifth gear it will sometimes kick into neutral also last night I went to back out of my driveway and I put it into reverse and it wouldnt go backwards! Im going to bleed the clutch today. Is there anything I can do to fix these two problems? Or am I going to have to get another transmission, PLEASE HELP!!!!!
corvetteguy1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
HA! I FOUND IT!

RBY3KGT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Default Re: Mitsubishi 3000gt 5-speed Transmission Problems!

I don't know what would cause your problem but you should post in the transmission forum for more help faster
RBY3KGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

rupadupa is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvetteguy1986 View Post
Hey, Im having problems with my 5-speed transmission. When im going down the high way in fifth gear it will sometimes kick into neutral also last night I went to back out of my driveway and I put it into reverse and it wouldnt go backwards! Im going to bleed the clutch today. Is there anything I can do to fix these two problems? Or am I going to have to get another transmission, PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Hello corvetteguy1986, I have a 1993 base 3000 GT and mine has been doing the same thing on the highway, popping out of gear into neutral. Well Last night going home from work it popped and made a terrible grinding noise. I had trouble getting it back into ANY gear but finally got it into 4th. When I got home I couldn't put it in reverse at all. Question- Is this my transmission or did my gears go bad and just need replaced? NOT A MECHANIC AT ALL<--- must say this first and foremost. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
rupadupa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Paid Member

Drives: Mitsubishi
GTwizard Level 1GTwizard Level 1
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Yes, move this. In the tranmision section you will find a fix. There is a nut at the back of the trans inside that case and has come loos. It holds the gears in place. More or less.
Now CVG86. Your trans and clutch are 2 different issues. Bleedind the hydraulic system will not help a warn out clutch at all. Take you car to a good trans shop or replace the clutch yourself. Not matter what. Down load a service/repair manual. everything you ever wanted to know about these cars is in there. And when you have issues. The manual can tell you what to check, how to check, and in what order to check.
OBX long tube headers, Flow master single 3" in with dual 2.5 outs. VR4 runners with 2 liter plenum, port matched lower intake, stage 3 or better race preped heads with 1 mm oversize Rev valves, Rev race dual springs and Rev keepers, Delta/HKS 272 cams, 3SX adjustable cam gears, 3.0 Cobra Mustang Throttle body, 3.0 LT1 maft and Maftranslater gen II, Alum. Flywheel, Spec stage 5 clutch, VR4 injectors, Wizard wires, Unorthadox under drive. IPS fuel rails w/adj FPR, Fuel loop, Walboro 255 hot wired, Hot wired single fan. Short shifter, Battery relocate. EBC front slotted rotors, EBC Yellow stuff Pads, 3SX SST brake lines, sway bars, springs.
No IAC, NO AC, NO extra weight, VR4 ECU as of NG2011. Still 10 to 1 slugs, Nitto NT05 Comptition Road Course Racing tires. Magan coil overs, 3sx adjustable rear links.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s0I3tnGGmg[/url]
1st place fastest NA - TXG 2012. 1ST place highest hp NA-240 FWHP TXG-2012. 1st place fastest NA - Drag - TXG 11 98mph, 1st place quickest NA - drags 14.773, 1st place Dyno - TXG11 229 FWHP & 236 tq, 2ND place Auto cross NA C/S- NG2011, 1ST place NA dyno - TX gathering 2010 - 229 FWHP & 199 tq, 1st place Fastest NA - TXG 2010 - 98.3 trap, 1st Place quickest NA - TXG 2010 - 14.680, 2ND place 1/4 at NG10, best NA time NG10 - 14.932- no traction, 2ND place 1/4 at NG09,
2ND place Autocross NG09
GTwizard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Thank you for very quick reply GTwizard.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

max3 is an unknown quantity at this point

How many miles is on your transmisson? I had problems getting my car into 1st and 2nd gear, and then one day I couldnt get it in any gears. So i just replaced it with a new transmission.
max3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Basically, The bolt inside the Transmission that holds the gears in place came loose and just came off completely. This messed up my synchronizers in 2nd and 5th gear and I had no reverse. They are also putting a new clutch in. Should be as good as new when I get it back. (crossing fingers) By the way, I've had my car for 16 years and it only had 27,000 miles when I got it. It now has 122,000 miles. It's served me well I'd say.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
I build envy.

Drives: 93 Dodge Stealth ES
1320VR4 Level 11320VR4 Level 11320VR4 Level 1
Feedback Score: 47 reviews

I've had the nut back off on a trans too. Fix it soon though because my nut ground through the end of my transmission case. I replaced the trans however I have the nut and a new end cap to fix my old tranny, as well as some spares

1993 Dodge Stealth ES - 15.048 @ 97.15mph September 2008 ROTM - 196hp/184tq
1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 -13.3@104.9mph @ 14PSI - June 2009 ROTM
sponsored by BC Racing http://www.bcracing-na.com/
1320VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.