Hopefully NOT another "Spun Bearing" thread... - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
160WHP NA. You're Jealous

Drives: Trikes
Nightviper19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Default Hopefully NOT another "Spun Bearing" thread...

Update: More pics on page 2!

I have a 98 SL with 129k. I got the car at 101k, and have done the 120k, and other regular maintenance. I noticed a small dent in my oil pan, then I started watching my stock oil pressure gauge closely. I know I need an aftermarket one to know for sure, but my oil gauge always reads about 2.5-3 ticks past the bottom big one. As my searching went, I found that to be normal. But Im just trying to do this as some preventative maintenance. The oil pan has a red gasket, so Im not first one to take the pan off...

Anyway, I dropped my oil pan to beat out the dent before anything serious happened. I found one semi large piece of non-magnetic metal in my oil pan, and 3 or 4 very small magnetic rocks (The gray thing is rubbery, which im guessing is part of the gasket, even though this one isnt stock). I was told to look for stuff in the oil pan, so I did. Heres what I got. Anything to be worried about? And the oil line on the strainer, is that normal?

Last edited by Nightviper19; 11-10-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Nightviper19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2009, 01:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Insomniac

Drives: lifeboat
Runner up is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Default Re: Hopefully NOT another "Spun Bearing" thread...

Well, I'm no expert, so take what I am saying with a grain of salt.

First off, I believe you'd know it if you had a spun bearing. The dent doesn't look too bad, either. Looks like the oil pickup has not been damaged at all. But I can't really help you with the debris. Also, I'm not sure about the oil line, I've never had my oil pan off.

Hope this helps at least a bit.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Any help is appreciated. I know I dont have a spun bearing as of now. If I did, the thread title would be "SHIT SHIT SHIT!" Like I said, just doing some PM before something bad does happen. Its like 2 o clock and Im running off of 5 hours of sleep and a red bull, so Im saving the rest for tomorrow morning. I beat most of the dent out, but the banging noise made some people very angry, so I had to call it quits for tonight.

None of the rod caps are easily accessible as you can see in the picture (at least I think), but I was told to take off at least one and see if it is worn, keeping the orientation of the cap, installing it back on correctly, and not have to do anything with plastic tools or clearances. Should I still do that, after what I found?

I'd like to think that I caught it early and fixed it before anything happened, because I have been running through all the expenses in my head all day long and just keep stressing myself out if anything were too really happen. And to make things worse, at the McDonalds drive thru, I was right next to the wall paying the lady, and I heard a really really slight clacking noise. I couldnt tell if it was the lifters or my imagination just being an evil bastard. Thats actually what started me taking this little dent seriously...
Old 11-06-2009, 05:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Stuff and Junk and Things

Drives: NO PASSENGERS!!
EvanH is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

One way to check if you have a bad bearing which takes a skilled hand to tell, is moving the rod with your hand. Just take it and move it up and down(in its normal directions) and then take it and move it front(of car) to back(of car) to tell it it has excessive play. It will(they all will) move side to side(oil pump to flywheel). When you heard a knocking or clunking did you check from the top or bottom of the engine? I would say the rubber was excess silicone from installing the gasket and pan when it was installed last. I would get a new set of rod bearings and just replace them since you now have the pan off. Rod knock from the one and only car I witnessed it on happened once the oil started to warm and get thin. When it was cold, you would never know.
EvanH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thats kinda what people have told me. Id have to order them in, and I cant find a guide that walks me through how to do everything at the stage Im at. I have the service manual on cd, but the only thing I can find about the bearings is during a full rebuild.

Anybody got suggestions or ideas?
Old 11-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Stuff and Junk and Things

Drives: NO PASSENGERS!!
EvanH is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Well, you just rotate the crank, by hand, get one piston accessible at a time. Take the cap off. Keep it in the correct(original) orientation as you took it off. Remove the old bearing. Push the piston rod up, remove the old bearing. You will need assembly fluid. put the new bearing on the piston rod. Take plasti-gauge, and tack a piece to the crank. With out putting the other half of the bearing on the cap, reinstall it and torque it down to spec. Then remove it again, and check to see if you are in limits to not have to step up the size of bearing. If you are ok and in limits put the bottom bearing in the cap and reinstall. DO make sure you lubricate everything WELL. That is how I was instructed.
EvanH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you for the advice. So in order to replace bearings, the only special tool I need is a plastigage? Well, I mean on top of the new bearings, torq wrench, time, and ability. Now Im thinking about replacing my bearings just to be safe... But I cant have my car down for too long, its my DD.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
One fix at a time

Drives: 95 RT/TT
TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2
Feedback Score: 36 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightviper19 View Post
Thank you for the advice. So in order to replace bearings, the only special tool I need is a plastigage? Well, I mean on top of the new bearings, torq wrench, time, and ability. Now Im thinking about replacing my bearings just to be safe... But I cant have my car down for too long, its my DD.
You might as well check your bearings and replace them because it isn't that hard to do. The outside mains are hard to get the upper bearings replaced but it's doable. You already have the pan off.
TurboSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Im one of those guys that needs to follow a detailed guide, especially with internal stuff. Is there anything like that, with pictures preferably? This engine critical stuff is intimidating as hell since I havent done it before... Wish there was an experienced someone local that could help me out.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
One fix at a time

Drives: 95 RT/TT
TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2
Feedback Score: 36 reviews

This will give you an idea what needs to be done.
Replacing main bearings, a semi how-to with pics.
TurboSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.