Help! Car 'acts' as if the battery is dead - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1997 3000GT SL
phat_ride_69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Exclamation Help! Car 'acts' as if the battery is dead

Hey everyone…I need some ideas as to what can be causing my car to act like the battery is dead. A couple of days ago I was out, when I got to my car I unarmed my alarm without any problems, lights on opening the door were the normal brightness. When I went to start the car, it wouldn’t start…it was like the battery was dead. I tried a couple of more times and the same thing, it was like the battery was dead. When I tried to hit the power doorlocks, they would not close, making me think the battery was dead. I called up a buddy to see if he could come by to give me a boost.

When my buddy gets there, the car is still sitting there like the battery is completely dead. We push my car out of the parking spot to get a boost, as I’m pushing the car the door lights come on and the buzzer starts going. So I jump in my car and it fires up right away, like nothing is wrong. I wonder if its just a loose battery terminal, but when I give the terminals a jiggle, there is no play. I’m really confused as to what can be causing it. I get home and start it up 10-15 times with no problems.

Tonight, coming home from the gym and I get in my car go to start it and it seems like a dead battery again. Try starting it 4-5 times and nothing…dead battery. So I remember that my car seemed to fire up when I moved it and I give this a try. I try pushing my car a lil and get in to try starting it. Nothing at first, but when I tried the 3rd-4th time it fired up.

Has anyone ever had something like this happen to them before?? I have a 1997 SL with a 5pd in it. I am kinda scared that I will get stranded somewhere. I am thinking about getting a new battery tomorrow since it is ~5-6years old and I thought it could have been that….does anyone have any other suggestions??

Thanks for your help!!
phat_ride_69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2008, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned from Classifieds

Drives: '94 VR-4
SOHC3000GT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Default Re: Help! Car 'acts' as if the battery is dead

This happened to my old '97 SOHC...the last time it happened i had it towed to a shop and of course it started right up when it arrived, they never could get it to not start....and the car never had the problem again...sooo, I guess I would say check all your relays, battery and starter connections.
SOHC3000GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Thanks...I checked all the wires and terminals today along with any loose fuses that could have possibly caused it and I found nothing. I replaced the battery today...hopefully it doesn't happen again, but i'll keep everyone updated. Thanks SOHC3000GT.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

New battery didnt' help. I've had to jump my car on a couple of different times to get my car going, then it will last a few days. I went to Advanced auto to have my alternator checked while still in the car and they said that the voltage its making is right on, ~14, but the amps are low, their machine picked up ~17-19 amps. They said that they'd be able to give me a better reading if I take the alternator out of the car and take it in, if nothing else checks out I might have to do this, but I'd like to avoid it if possible.

Has anyone ever had this happen?? I dont' know if this makes any difference, but it seems like somthing squeeks a little bit under my hood occasionaly, but its not always there.

Please throw out some ideas!!

Thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1997 3000GT VR4
973KGT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

You have a bad connection of some kind. My guess would be the ground wires. Check em!

I tend to judge people on their use of the English language
973KGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 11:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
I like to think I'm fast

Drives: 3.5L and 16G VR-4
zkruly87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 973KGT View Post
You have a bad connection of some kind. My guess would be the ground wires. Check em!
i agree. check the ground wires specifically the one from the negative terminal. same thing could also be causing the alternator problem.
zkruly87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2008, 12:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Will check out the ground wires and other wires in the area in the morning.

I do have the BigTyla ground wires installed, but they've been on there a while (~1yr). Think that could be causing my problem??

Thanks for the suggestions guys
Old 03-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 96 3000GT
emartin7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

This happened to my 96 base a few times. All it was for me was corrosion on the battery terminals. Hit them good with a wire brush and put a light coat of petroleum jelly over them to stop the corrosion.
emartin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

I unhooked the ground wire kit and all the battery terminals and cleaned all the connections up and hooked everything up again and so far the cars been starting and trouble free for the past week. Hopefuly the battery problems are over, thanks for the suggestions guys.

Will keep everyone updated if the battery drains again.

Jack
Old 03-11-2008, 07:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

gmccart3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Carefully check the inline connection in the cable running from the battery to the starter area - look for an inline connector about a foot from the battery - they corrode internally and cause the exact symptoms you describe - just like corrosion on a battery terminal. Some folks remove it.
gmccart3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.