Automatic Transmission won't shift when car gets warm - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2003, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

badboyz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default Automatic Transmission won't shift when car gets warm

Hi. I have a '93 3Kgt base model that shifts FINE when I first start it up. However, after about 2 or 3 minutes, it won't shift at all. But if I turn off the car for about 5 minutes & start it up, it will shift again but only for 2 or 3 minutes. Will I need a rebuild or is there a 'quick fix' for this?
badboyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2003, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

3000GTuner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Check...

gonna need more details on your problem

1) How's your fluid level?

2) When did you last replace your tranny fluid filter?

3) When it shifted, did it go trough all the gears as you accelerate or did it just stay on one gear and never shifted?

4) How's reverse, does it slip out too after 2 - 3 min?

5) Describe you the drivability of it. As you first able to shift into gear, you can drive it for 2 to 3 mintues and it just suddenly slip out of gear?

I, on my own, rebuilt my autotranny too recently. Maybe I can give you some advice.

3000GTuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2003, 03:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Hi 3000GTuner. I just got the car from some guy in Sausalito. It ran fine from there to Monterey. However, it was leaking tranny fluid but I stayed on top of it. One day, it slipped and I put more tranny fluid in and took it straight home. However, I'm scared to take it anywhere for fear that it will get stuck. I just drive it back & forth for about 50 ft. I put some stop leak anti slippage fluid in it and haven't noticed it leaking anymore. I called Kormex and the guy said to try changing the tranny fluid. That would be awsome if thats the fix. Is it easy to get to? Do I just jack the car up & take it out or is there anything I should be aware of?
Old 07-21-2003, 04:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

3000GTuner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default There's your problem...maybe

Quote:
Originally posted by badboyz
Hi 3000GTuner. I just got the car from some guy in Sausalito. It ran fine from there to Monterey. However, it was leaking tranny fluid but I stayed on top of it. One day, it slipped and I put more tranny fluid in and took it straight home. However, I'm scared to take it anywhere for fear that it will get stuck. I just drive it back & forth for about 50 ft. I put some stop leak anti slippage fluid in it and haven't noticed it leaking anymore. I called Kormex and the guy said to try changing the tranny fluid. That would be awsome if thats the fix. Is it easy to get to? Do I just jack the car up & take it out or is there anything I should be aware of?

Oh man,

If you are leaking tranny fluid you shouldn't be driving the car at all. EVEN IF YOU ARE ON TOP OF IT!!! Because I am starting to suspect that you have burnt out your clutches (front, rear, and end clutches). Low tranny fluid will definitely burn out your clutches.

But let us do the easiest things first:

1) Never add any kind of additive/tranny fluid treatment into a mitsubishi transmission. ESPECIALLY STOP LEAK fluid!!! You may have compromised the viscosity of the original fluid by adding all these treatment to it. Heck you may have even clogged the solenoids that control the gear shift!!! Fear anything that say STOP LEAK!!!! The fact of the matter is, if it can stop a leak, it can and may clog your valve body( the valve body is the brain of the autotranny when it comes to shifting into gears).

2) What type of fluid have you been using to refill everytime the fluid goes down? The only fluid you should be using is either the Mitsubishi Automatic Tranny Fluid OR ATF+3 fluids. ATF+3 fluids will say it right on the bottle title labels. These fluids are specifically design for Mitsubhishi trannys. Supposedly the viscosity is higher than regular tranny fluid.

AND NEVER EVER USE DEXRON II or DEXRON III auto tranny fluid!!!

3) OK, let's empty out all your messed-up fluid first from the tranny. Get yourself at least 5 quarts of APPROVED autotranny fluid. Simply jack up the car (be safe...use a jack stand) and drain the fluid from the tranny. Drain plug should be behind the passenger-side front wheel. Replace the drain plug and refill the tranny fluid. Use 5 quarts first. Jack down. Car level. Shift through all the gears. Alternate between each gear and park.
Normally, you are suppose to check your tranny fluid only after about 20 miles of driving and gear in Neutral. But since your car may not be able to shift into gear then just leave it in Neutral (had brake on please) and check your fluid. It should fall approximately where it says "Hot".

Well, with the right fluid and right fluid level see if you can drive it.

If not, you need to go to the shop and get it rebuilt before any mechanical problem arise (like broken gears, etc...)

4) Where's the leak coming from. Check it while you are under the car to drain the fluid. If it's from an area under the drive axle it could be the seal there. or worse it can be the seal between the tranny and the torque converter.

So many possibilities...

Good luck!!!
3000GTuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2003, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default THANKS 3000GTuner

Thank you VERY MUCH! I will take your advice. If this doesn't work, I can get a Japanese Transmission with less than 35K for $545 & installation for $350 or $400. I appreciate all your effort. If ever you plan on coming to the Monterey Bay area in California, shoot me an email & I will buy you lunch.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: like a mother f***r
aleksankazakov is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Re: Automatic Transmission won't shift when car gets warm

does anybody know, will the 3000GT BAse SOHC tranny will fit to a SOHC diamante? I have serious problems. Sims like after each time I drive on the high way my transmission flied is boiling hot and creates enormous pressure that it even starts leaking oil.
aleksankazakov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.