"ACC/RES, CANCEL, COAST/SET" button in the middle of the steering wheel - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

max3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default "ACC/RES, CANCEL, COAST/SET" button in the middle of the steering wheel

What does the "ACC/RES, CANCEL, COAST/SET" button do? Its located in the middle of the steering wheel.

I turned my "cruise" button/switch that is NEAR THE RADIO to on which shows "ASC" (I think it says ASC) in green letters on the dashboard. I was on the highway and I pushed the "ACC/RES" switch up, and my RPMs went to 4000RPM real quick with my car in neutral. This was in a 100 degree day with my A/C On. I saw the word "CRUISE" light up for a second near my odometer and RPM gauge ( i think it said cruise). Then i noticed that I was going 60 MPH for a long time without pressing on the gas with my car in neutral.

So I did the exact same thing, but this time I pushed the "COAST/SET" button down and the word "CRUISE" flashed on for a second and my RPMS went to 4000 real quick and i experienced the same results as I just wrote above this paragraph.

HERES ONE PROBLEM, Tonight I was on the highway with my A/C on and it was a little cooler outside. My "cruise" button/switch was already on, and then I pushed the "COAST/SET" button up and my CAR REDLINED to 7000RPM real quick in netrual like you would start out in a drag race. I quickly pushed down the "COAST/SET" button to "CANCEL" and it stopped. No im scared to touch that button anymore.

I always thought that the cruise control button was the button near the radio that says "ON" "CRUISE" "OFF". Every time i push it to on the words "ASC" ( or something close" come on in green letters.

(94 base 3000gt rebuilt engine,tranny,etc.)

Last edited by max3; 07-14-2011 at 10:41 PM.
max3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 10:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

DaRipper22 is an unknown quantity at this point

So your trying to set your cruise with the car in neutral? When you push the button/switch near the radio your turning the cruise or assisted speed control(may not be the right words but it works) system on, then the steering controls "set", "resume", "accel." "coast" and "cancel" control the cruise system, if your messing with it in neutral I wouldn't think it would try to work but then again, I've never tried to make mine do it. I was just happy after three trips of 600 miles without it I finally fixed it
DaRipper22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Re: "ACC/RES, CANCEL, COAST/SET" button in the middle of the steering wheel

Yes, this is the first time i ever touched that button
Old 07-14-2011, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

DaRipper22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah just turn on the button by the radio (should get the asc light) and only mess with the switch when under power. I only really use "set" and "cancel". Just don't mess with it while in neutral
DaRipper22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Re: "ACC/RES, CANCEL, COAST/SET" button in the middle of the steering wheel

Do the words "CRUISE" come on and stay on untill you press "CANCEL"

Im guessing but does the "ACC/RES" switch stand for Automatic Cruise Control and Reset"

So whats the difference between "ACC/RES" and "COAST/SET"
Old 07-15-2011, 12:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned from Classifieds

Drives: '94 VR-4
SOHC3000GT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 106 reviews

Uh...why are you putting your car in neutal while on the highway?...doesn't make sense and the cruise control will never work while in neutral.
SOHC3000GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 12:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned from Classifieds

Drives: '94 VR-4
SOHC3000GT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 106 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by max3 View Post
Im guessing but does the "ACC/RES" switch stand for Automatic Cruise Control and Reset"

So whats the difference between "ACC/RES" and "COAST/SET"
Coast/Set turns on your cruise control and sets it at a specific MPH.

ACC/RES stands for accelerate/resume. Once you have set the crusie, and then turned it off for some reason(stop light, etc) you can hit resume and the car will cruise at the specified MPH. Holding ACC/RES while having the cruise engaged will cause the car to accelerate...
SOHC3000GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

keithmac Level 1keithmac Level 1
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
Uh...why are you putting your car in neutal while on the highway?...doesn't make sense and the cruise control will never work while in neutral.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

JDM GTO TT, Emanage Ultimate - PTE 1200's
Twin Walbros, MAF-T Blow Through, M20, DLI
OS Giken R3C, TD04-16g's, Stainless PTFE lines
keithmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 11:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post

I put my car in neutral because I think Im saving gas, but I heard controversy that it doesnt save gas and that it is bad for your tranny. I also put my car in neutral when Im going down a hill to save gas.

Heres an example of how I drive sometimes. My car was in 4th gear and went to 75-80 MPH, then I put it in neutral and just ride along untill I am going 55 MPH and then I put it in 3rd gear and then 4th gear to 75-80 MPH and repeat the cycle.

Is that bad for your tranny and does it save a little bit of gas even though the engine still uses gas when idling?

Last edited by max3; 07-15-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: VR4
mb3000 Level 1mb3000 Level 1mb3000 Level 1
Feedback Score: 45 reviews

You're wasting more gas than you would think. It's easy to maintain 55-60mph @ 2k rpms than it is to do pulls all over the place.

When you press the cruise button on the center console it activates the system, hence the "ASC" lights on the dash. You obviously have to be in drive, in gear, for cruise to work. Once you "set" the mph you want to achieve via the steering wheel buttons, the cruise computer will attempt to keep you at that specific mph.

I have all needed cruise parts for sale as well, if you find any of yours to be defect.
mb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.