what are symptoms of bad pistons??? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2004, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
I'm a Troll

Drives: 95' VR-4
widow maker is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Default what are symptoms of bad pistons???

i may need new pistons so could you all please let me know what some symptoms of poor pistons are.
I was getting a bad knock (not lifters) above 3000 rpms and now getting it all the time just less audible below 3000 rpms. A while ago i had a washer fall down the intake and was bouncing around for a while and my mechanic told me that the pistons were kind of beat up but not to really worry about that right now. BUt time went on and now it seems to be a problem.
Let me know what you think

Also,
How hard is it to swap out the pistons for stock size pistons for someone who knows pretty much what they are doing?
thanks
-Steve
widow maker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2004, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
www.pansypatrol.com

Drives: 3S, Miata
henryC is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default Re: what are symptoms of bad pistons???

Quote:
Originally Posted by widow maker
i may need new pistons so could you all please let me know what some symptoms of poor pistons are.
I was getting a bad knock (not lifters) above 3000 rpms and now getting it all the time just less audible below 3000 rpms. A while ago i had a washer fall down the intake and was bouncing around for a while and my mechanic told me that the pistons were kind of beat up but not to really worry about that right now. BUt time went on and now it seems to be a problem.
Let me know what you think

Also,
How hard is it to swap out the pistons for stock size pistons for someone who knows pretty much what they are doing?
thanks
-Steve
Your mechanic is terrible. If washer falls down and scrapes your pistons, even a little bit, then they develope absurd hot spots and knock when they arn't supposed and destroy themselves really fast. Your mechanic doesn't know much about turbo cars it seems.

Grab a Boroscope (coolest tool ever) and take a look at your pistons. I imagine they look awesome, if they are broken. You could also do a compression test, and see if your numbers are fucked up.

Changing them isn't impossible. If you dropped a washer in your intake itrs likely bad things are happening, so you might as well just pull the engine (takes 5ish hours the first time), and take it apart. You'll need to do this to get it re-honed when you replace the pistons anyway.

-- Henry

1996 Stealth RT/TT

Deleted: AC, CC, SRS, ABS, rear seats and seatbelts, anything on the interior that can't be seen from driver or passenger's seat, all trunk everything, antenna, vacuum tank, evap stuff, heat shields, excess engine junk, keyless entry+security, and whatever else I forgot to put here.

http://www.pansypatrol.com
henryC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2004, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
I'm a Troll

I don't know. My mechanic is Ray Pampena ( a very respected mechanic). The washer situation has been taken care of. He said it may develop a problem later on because of the damage to the pistons which were very minimal at the time.
Do I need to pull the engine? Do the cylinders NEED to get rehoned? I do not have access to a cherry picker or anything. Thanks for the reply
-Steve
Old 07-18-2004, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Just havin' fun!

Drives: Every chance I get!
red3kgtvr4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

If your pistons are bad, they'll look like mine used to!
Old 07-19-2004, 12:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
v8 annihilator

TTmitsu is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
I don't know. My mechanic is Ray Pampena ( a very respected mechanic). The washer situation has been taken care of. He said it may develop a problem later on because of the damage to the pistons which were very minimal at the time.
Do I need to pull the engine? Do the cylinders NEED to get rehoned? I do not have access to a cherry picker or anything. Thanks for the reply
-Steve

You can borrow my engine hoist hopefully i will not need it to soon.
JAC engineering TDO5 headers and o2 dumps, 14b turbos ATR down pipe, ported&polished heads with 1mm oversized valves, wiseco pistons, crower rods 2nd gen crank, S-AFC supra FP, 450cc injectors, 3sx performance pulley, turbo XS RFL BOV, cusco rear strut bar........
TTmitsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2004, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
I'm a Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTmitsu
You can borrow my engine hoist hopefully i will not need it to soon.
hey great. Have you ever pulled your pistons and changed them before? I could use all the help I can get if you are willing to give me a hand.
-Steve
Old 07-19-2004, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired

SkortchGT Level 1SkortchGT Level 1
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Why don't you ask Ray? I'm sure he'll give you the best answer.

--Completely rebuilt 5/06-4/07. Everything new. For a list see: http://www.3si.org/forum/f116/car-finally-running-after-year-being-down-372579/
--Mods: DR Stage I heads, 3rd gen lifters, TD04L 13Gs, DSM SMICs, PTE 550s, ARC2 w/ 92mm MAS & large filter, Apexi SITC, Walbro FP, IPO hotwire, Robbeck adapter & AEM FPR, 3SX underhood fuel gauge, 3SX fuel rail loop, PST 1pc CFDS, Borla Catback, DN Y-pipe, HKS SSQ BOV, Greddy Profec Spec S, AEM WB02, Autometer C2 boost, egt, oil press & water temp gauges, MSD wires, NGK BCP7ES's, TEIN FLEX coilovers, Maximal Performance solid engine mounts & powdercoating, RPS Streetmax Clutch, RPS Flywheel, NBT Tranny (cryotreated OS, shift forks & rails), updated speedo gear, solid shifter bushings, full 2nd gen brake conversion, 3SX SS brake & clutch lines, 3SX clutch vac delete, EGR delete, vac reduction, Ebay DP, gutted pre cats, engine dress up kit, Bigtyla ground wire kit, Bronze 5Zigen FN01RCs 18x8.5 + 30 offset.
SkortchGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2004, 02:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
v8 annihilator

TTmitsu is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
hey great. Have you ever pulled your pistons and changed them before? I could use all the help I can get if you are willing to give me a hand.
-Steve
no my engine got a full rebuild at a machine shop, i have pulled my engine out of my car though and ill definately give you a hand with that if you need it. my # is 351-2321 call me when your ready. i accept payment in cold beer
TTmitsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2004, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
I'm a Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTmitsu
no my engine got a full rebuild at a machine shop, i have pulled my engine out of my car though and ill definately give you a hand with that if you need it. my # is 351-2321 call me when your ready. i accept payment in cold beer
haha,,, Beer I can do!
Old 07-19-2004, 02:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
I'm a Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkortchGT
Why don't you ask Ray? I'm sure he'll give you the best answer.
I will,,, it's just that he is out of town at the NG so I am trying to do some research before he gets back. I can't get a hold of him until tuesday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.