What does snow do to paint???? How bad is it NOT to store a car, even for short time - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2005, 10:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Loves Me

Drives: 1995 Stealth RT/TT
PianoMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Default What does snow do to paint???? How bad is it NOT to store a car, even for short time

Ok, today in northern MN, we just got over 3.5" of snow just today out of nowhere. There was no snow here 2 days ago.

So anyways, what does snow do to paint if I dont drive it and dont let any salt on it. If i just leave it in my yard for awhile, how bad is it????

Also, if it is bad, can it wait a couple of days, or should I store it asap like tomorrow?????

Thanks!

Currently Driving:

2006 Range Rover Supercharged on 24's
2005 Cadillac STS4 on 22's
PianoMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2005, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
I think my cars drunk...

Drives: girls crazy
Rustang Cobra is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Default Re: What does snow do to paint???? How bad is it NOT to store a car, even for short time

if you have a shitty paint job, it'll start flaking off in extreme cold

if its a good paint job and the vehicle was fully prepped you should be fine, give it a good coat of wax and you can let it sit outside

2003 Nissan 350z - New toy
1993 Stealth Twin Turbo - Sold Old Dyno w/15gs- 404awhp/398awtq @17psi mustang dyno - SOLD
1998 Mustang cobra - RIP Dyno 275rwhp/278rwtq
92 Honda Civic CX Hatchback - Winter beater
Rustang Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2005, 11:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Paid Member

Drives: 1994 Stealth
Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3
Feedback Score: 151 reviews
Default Re: What does snow do to paint???? How bad is it NOT to store a car, even for short time

You shouldnt get salt on it if its just sitting. And these cars have a hard time rusting. My car has always been a northern car and didnt have a spec of rust on it when it wa painted.
Stealthee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2005, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Stealth Aficionado

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
OwnGTP/WantRTTT Level 3OwnGTP/WantRTTT Level 3OwnGTP/WantRTTT Level 3OwnGTP/WantRTTT Level 3OwnGTP/WantRTTT Level 3OwnGTP/WantRTTT Level 3OwnGTP/WantRTTT Level 3
Feedback Score: 44 reviews

No salt and you're fine. The majority of paint damage coems from salt and dirving while a car has been wetted by rain. The imperfections, dirt, and other debris in rain water put tiny scratches in clear coat when a car is moving (thus the water is moved across the surface of the paint). The tiny scratches reflect light in different ways, hence the reaons a car's paint will look "hazy" over time. Keep it off the road sitting where it is, when the snow melts off, put a good coat of wax and maybe a cover on it and it'll sit outside all winter just fine.
OwnGTP/WantRTTT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2005, 11:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
I think my cars drunk...

Drives: girls crazy
Rustang Cobra is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews

i wouldnt put a cover on it personally, they beat against the car when the wind gets under them and it'll pound dirt/debris into the clear coat

and i dont think he's gonna get salt on a car thats just sitting....
Rustang Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2005, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Bunkster

Drives: 93 3000 GT VR4
bunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

The best thing would be to find a garage or storage place to park it for the winter. If its stored in a garage then I would put a cover on it to keep the dust off it. Salt does a ton of damage to the car if you drive it in the winter. Not sure if they do it where you live but here they mix the salt with sand to give you some traction because of the hills around here. So the sand chips and scratches the paint and then the salt takes over. There is nothing like hitting a frozen hunk of sand with your front tire and have it fly up and hit your paint. So part the car as soon as possible and wait until spring to drive it again. Before storing it fill the tank to the top with gas and add some stabil. A full tank of gas will help protect the inside of the tank from corrosion and will also help minimize any moisture in tank in the spring. My plates on my VR4 are being switched today to the winter car.....94 Grand Prix. Winter came way too soon this year.

Kyle
bunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2005, 09:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
High Roller

Drives: 06 Lexus GS
DC 95VR-4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

I bought my AWD so I COULD drive a sports-car all year round.

__________1999 VR4___________

DR750R, Pampena forged 3.2L. port/polish. Eboost2, AEM WBO2. Chrome V2 ECU Flash. Poly mounts. Dual Walbro kit. Tanabe Concept G Blue. Billet flywheel/ cryo stage 5 clutch. polished dual core FMIC. pre/and catless downpipe. short shift. Tein Flex coilovers. upgraded brakes/wheels. show quality 1000watt alpine dvd system/with brahma 10" subs and Seas Lotus comps. neon lighted vinyl/plexi box and amp rack.
DC 95VR-4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2005, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
don mess with sparty

spewing oil is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 95VR-4
I bought my AWD so I COULD drive a sports-car all year round.
that job is for our little brothers son..... the DSM.

I've taken the stealth out in the snow here in michigan a couple times but it was before the roads where clear and salt was put down. I store her outside by the side of the house uncovered. It's true wind whips the shit out of a cover on your car.
spewing oil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2005, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

IainSlow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

I have some kinda a wax, i will wax my whip before the snow
IainSlow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2005, 12:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
resident evil

wraith Level 2wraith Level 2wraith Level 2wraith Level 2wraith Level 2wraith Level 2
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Nothin at all happens. I have had my 95 VR-4 since 97 and its been stored outside, rain, sun, snow and has 126k miles on it and it looks better now then how I bought it at 30k miles because its been compounded and waxed so many times. I think the heat hurts more then the snow cause it wears the wax away and causes the black/no clear coat paint to oxidize

Sam
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.