Replacing Lights Behind Climate COntrol Buttons - Page 3 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2005, 06:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
SOCOM Racing League

Drives: #388 Red
James92TSi Level 1James92TSi Level 1
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Default Re: Replacing Lights Behind Climate COntrol Buttons

It's an Eclipse AVX-2494, bought it on Ebay from a guy in Japan who was exporting them (it's a US-market unit, just very hard to find in the US). It's a 2004 model, bought it back in January, a few months before the 2005 AVX products were announced.

The reason I'm asking about the LED conversion is... the side buttons on the AVX light up green. I also want DEFI LINK gauges to replace the stock center gauge cluster... but those are also green backlit. This green stuff clashes pretty badly with the stock amber lighting.

Given that the HU was $1200+, and the gauges would be around $800... and I've never seen anyone convert either of them to amber lighting... it might be easier to just convert the factory dash etc to green. Which is too bad, beause I really prefer amber over green.

'91 3000GT VR-4 Silly car, get down from there. You're not a plane. You don't even have wings.
'03 G35 Sport Coupe Retains transmission and full warranty, even with VDC off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Ellis
In case you haven't noticed, it's an internal combustion engine; it runs on air, fuel, and a spark being delivered every couple hundredths of a second. It doesn't run on rays of sunshine being blown out your ass with ample amounts of pixie dust and hope.
James92TSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2005, 06:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member: Burned valve club

Drives: 91 Stealth RT/TT
cbatters is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by James92TSi
Did you happen to get any pics of this while you were in there?
I was going to shoot some pics tonight but it was soo hot today, I ended up putting it back together during lunch.

Pics from www.stealth316.com posted earlier are very good. The only thing you need to know if that after you remove the vent and loosen the climate control, you can use a small screwdriver to remove the lights by turning them 1/4 turn. (Either use a mirror or slide your finger down the two channels in the plastic case to locate the bulbs.)

Last question:

Does anyone know what the small three position on top-right of the climate display unit is for? Mine is in the leftmost position when facing the display.

Clint
Replaced: 2X clutch / 3X brakes / 2X front rotors / 2X ABS HU / 1X NGK Plugs / 1X Ball joints / 2X Antenna mast / 1X Active exhaust cable / 1X Windshield / 1X Fuel FIlter / 1X Struts / 1X rear rotors / 1X Front Head / VSS / 1X rear wheel bearings / 1X Transfer case (warranty) / 1x Tie rod end (drivers side)
Overhauled: Starter, IAC, BISS, CV Boots
Upgrade: SilverStar Headlights / ebay "Xenon" Fog Bulbs (no more yellow!)
A/F Gauge / MAP - Electronic Boost Logging / MMCd Data Logger
Pending Projects: Steering Rack
cbatters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2005, 06:47 PM   #23 (permalink)
SOCOM Racing League

Drives: #388 Red
James92TSi Level 1James92TSi Level 1
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Ahh I was hoping for pics of the bulb sockets etc so I'd know what I was dealing with from a replacement point of view. Getting to the bulbs is no big concern (I've done defroster vents... heheh).

No worries..
James92TSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2005, 07:56 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James92TSi
Ahh I was hoping for pics of the bulb sockets etc so I'd know what I was dealing with from a replacement point of view. Getting to the bulbs is no big concern (I've done defroster vents... heheh).

No worries..
I'll pop one out and snap a pic. Need to prove this can be done without even loosening the climate display unit. Just pop out the vent and use a small screwdriver to release the bulbs.

(I'll also post an update to the front of this thread to save other people some time.)

Clint
Old 08-22-2005, 08:54 AM   #25 (permalink)

Futility....

No sooner do I get the dash back together and pat myself on the back when I notice one of the backlight bulbs has burnt out on the display for the CD player... No biggie... I'll just replace both of the bulbs so I don't have to yank it out again.

(I have to admit I am actually inpressed with how few of the instrument bulbs have burnt out over the years. With the car pushing 6000+ hours of operation, many of the bulbs are overdue for replacement. Good rule of thumb is to always replace the bulbs in pairs because there is a good chance the corresponding bulb will be dying shortly.)

SWITCH ON CLIMATE CONTROL DISPLAY
Still haven't found any info on the three position switch on top of the climate control display unit. I thought it might be a Metric / English / Diagnostics switch but the display showed English units in all three settings. (Wondering if it might be a configuration switch for Cold-Moderate-Hot regions)
Old 08-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #26 (permalink)

Typical of the bulb assemblies used on switches/stereo etc. Lamps available at Radio Shack #272-1092.

Closeup of new lamp installed.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 AM   #27 (permalink)
Skeptic

Drives: 94 Stealth TwinTurbo
bjmsam Level 1bjmsam Level 1
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Dodge Re: Replacing Lights Behind Climate COntrol Buttons

This old thread (which should be in Miscellaneous - Interior rather than Engine - Turbo) was most helpful when replacing the left bulb in my display unit. For contributors who are still active on the board, thank you!

I used a screwdriver to pop both diverters out of the center vent assembly for easier access to the bottom clips and so I could reach in and pull the assembly out rather than prying around the edges.

There is very little room between the top of the display unit and the bottom of the duct, but I managed to get in there with a screwdriver and promptly dropped the bulb assembly where I couldn't reach it. I tried a bulb assembly from the stock Infinity radio that I kept after upgrading to a flatscreen but it didn't fit and then I couldn't get it out.

So... I removed the radio (four screws), the climate controller (four screws) and the display unit (two of the three screws are behind the small dash trim pieces on either side of the radio), retrieved the bulb assembly from where it had fallen on the transmission hump, replaced the bulb with Radio Shack #272-1092, swapped that assembly in place of the radio bulb assembly and reconnected the display unit to test it out. The Radio Shack bulbs are dimmer than stock, so I also replaced the other side before permanently reinstalling everything.

This project was far more involved than anticipated, but I am pleased that all buttons are once again illuminated and clearly visible at night!

Team3S, 3SI #30, GTOUK #155
http://www.the-matthews.com/stealth.html

Jet Black '94 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo AWD AWS 6-spd
Active Suspension Damping, Active Exhaust Delete, 5300K HIDs
Zorstec custom SS dual-flex DP and dual-exit cat-back, DSM SMICs
A'PEXi SAVC-R Mk-I, MHI TD04L-13Gs, K&N FIPK, IPS SS Y-pipe
A'PEXi SAFC 5-knob, 450cc Black Tops, MirageCorp Hybrid Logger
Mobil 1 & Redline fluids, Hotwired Denso 1020 Pump, IPO/SX AFPR
Winter: stock alloys 17x8.5-46, Hankook Icebear W300 235/45VR17
Summer: Enkei RPM2 17x9-40, Dunlop SP Sport Maxx A 245/45WR17
My reliable daily driver since Feb 1997!

Last edited by bjmsam; 10-12-2011 at 07:43 AM.
bjmsam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #28 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 93 VR4
iguana is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

My display lights have died. The display did start doing some odd lines when it first turned on just before it stopped showing anything. I don't suppose anyone has expereince fixing the display itelf? The button lights still work though.
DR500 turbos, ProfecB Spec II, No cats, Modified Stillen DP, 3" pipe with dual N1 cans, Walbro FP, TurboXS BOV, Stillen pads, Rotors, DXD clutch, Fidanza flywheel. MAFT, bigass KNN filter, 550cc injectors. 3SX lower mounts. Tien S springs. Jays93VR4 rear upper arms. Aluminum intake pipes, 3SX light pulley, Pre cat eliminators, FMIC.
iguana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #29 (permalink)
Skeptic

Drives: 94 Stealth TwinTurbo
bjmsam Level 1bjmsam Level 1
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

Let me google that for you
bjmsam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #30 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 93 VR4
iguana is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

thanks. kinda. it'sa probably my caps or a resistor that's kaput, easy fix for me tonight.
Digital climate control does not light up but everything functions properly?
iguana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.