Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Replacing Lights Behind Climate COntrol Buttons

16K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  Texan94SL 
#1 ·
I'm sure I can figure it out but any tips/tricks on the easiest way to get at the bulb(s) behind the switches that control fan speed would be appreciated.

Clint

#4 ·
pulling the unit isn't so hard. just read the manual. i believe it's pulling the center vent to access the top screws, pulling the head unit, then 4 screws hold the unit in. u might want a long philips. there's two bulbs in each side that sits inside a clear plastic. the clear plastic distributes the light to all the buttons. they're just twist in bulbs. i replaced mine with led's :)

#5 ·
#6 · (Edited)
PITA

1. Remove center vent
a. Lift up on small clip inside vent with one screwdriver and gently pry the side of the vent
b. Repeat for other side of vent
c. Lift up clips again as you withdraw the vent
d. Disconnect hazard switch connector

2. Remove head unit
a. Pop off bezel
b. Remove screws (X4)
c. Remove harness / antenna connections

3. Remove control module mounted under climate control display unit
a. Remove screws (X4) using offset phillips head screwdriver

4. Remove climate control unil
a. Remove center screw
b. Remove console clips (x2)
c. Remove screws (X2)
d. Disconnect harness
e. Withdraw unit

PITA

#7 · (Edited)
I replaced mine..

What I did was remove the glove compartment and just let it hang. Then I took off the top plastic and could get my head in behind to see the center console and AC Control Bulb. Unscrewed it took it out then put another one in the rescrewed it in then put everything back toghether.

Might take a little time but it works.

Edit:

Step 3 on this web page

http://www.stealth316.com/2-dashpanel.htm

#8 ·
cbatters said:
Thanks for the link but I did a quick read and did niot see any hints on how to access the bulbs. I'll try reading through the manual and post back later.

Clint
The link is more designed to guide someone through the process of replacing the bulbs(path of resistance, soldering, size of LED's etc.).

Jeremy

#9 ·
HilbillyHomeboy said:
The link is more designed to guide someone through the process of replacing the bulbs(path of resistance, soldering, size of LED's etc.).

Jeremy
I'll post a few pics here to supplement what is already at www.stealth316.com

Nothing "hard" about getting it... just a lot of junk in the way of replacing a couple small bulbs. I am definately going to replace all of the bulbs while I have the unit off of the car.

Clint

#12 ·
Black_Sunshine said:
pulling the unit isn't so hard. just read the manual. i believe it's pulling the center vent to access the top screws, pulling the head unit, then 4 screws hold the unit in. u might want a long philips. there's two bulbs in each side that sits inside a clear plastic. the clear plastic distributes the light to all the buttons. they're just twist in bulbs. i replaced mine with led's :)

Is there a certain volt rating for these LEDs or will any type do?

#13 ·
mr_wizard_69 said:
I just removed the center console, vents and it came right out.
I was just hoping that there was a clever way to replace the bulbs without removing the display console. (equivalent to propping up the plenum with everything conected to change spark plugs instead of unbolting the plenum from the throttle body)

Clint

#14 ·
G2Nice said:
Is there a certain volt rating for these LEDs or will any type do?
LED's require current limiting resistors otherwise they will quickly burn out if connected to a voltage source. Packaged LED assemblies include current limiting resistors so they can be connected directly to +12V.

Clint

#15 ·
No really. I did it recently on a Digital Controller, and I had to remove the entire assembly. There was not really a way of getting back there and reaching the lights.
1 hour job

#16 ·
Black_Sunshine said:
Unfortunately, this was not an accurate description of the backlighting for 1G TT climate controls and wasted a fair amount of time. There is a single bulb on each side and it CAN EASILY be removed without removing the climate control from the car.

All you need to do is remove the center vent, loosen the climate control display screws (X3) and use a small screwdrvier to turn the holder 1/4 turn couter clockwise. (I used a small piece of sticky tape on my finger to ease the lamp holder out after loosening it.)

Absolutely no need to remove the head unit nor unbolt/remove the climate control module.

You can order orange bulb assemblies from the dealer for ~$5.00 /each. (MR398044)

You can also buy bare bulbs from Radio Shack (2721092) for $1.50 (2) and re-use the old bases/filters.

Clint

#18 ·
Black_Sunshine said:
i just went along with what the manual said. besides, i replaced mine with LED's, so it had to be removed.
If I was so inclined, I could replace the small bulbs in the greay holders with LED's + resistors without removing the climate display but it would be a 50:50 shot to get the right polarity.

Clint

#19 ·
Did you happen to get any pics of this while you were in there? :)

#21 ·
It's an Eclipse AVX-2494, bought it on Ebay from a guy in Japan who was exporting them (it's a US-market unit, just very hard to find in the US). It's a 2004 model, bought it back in January, a few months before the 2005 AVX products were announced.

The reason I'm asking about the LED conversion is... the side buttons on the AVX light up green. I also want DEFI LINK gauges to replace the stock center gauge cluster... but those are also green backlit. This green stuff clashes pretty badly with the stock amber lighting.

Given that the HU was $1200+, and the gauges would be around $800... and I've never seen anyone convert either of them to amber lighting... it might be easier to just convert the factory dash etc to green. Which is too bad, beause I really prefer amber over green.

#22 ·
James92TSi said:
Did you happen to get any pics of this while you were in there? :)
I was going to shoot some pics tonight but it was soo hot today, I ended up putting it back together during lunch.

Pics from www.stealth316.com posted earlier are very good. The only thing you need to know if that after you remove the vent and loosen the climate control, you can use a small screwdriver to remove the lights by turning them 1/4 turn. (Either use a mirror or slide your finger down the two channels in the plastic case to locate the bulbs.)

Last question:

Does anyone know what the small three position on top-right of the climate display unit is for? Mine is in the leftmost position when facing the display.

Clint

#23 ·
Ahh I was hoping for pics of the bulb sockets etc so I'd know what I was dealing with from a replacement point of view. Getting to the bulbs is no big concern (I've done defroster vents... heheh).

No worries.. :)

#24 ·
James92TSi said:
Ahh I was hoping for pics of the bulb sockets etc so I'd know what I was dealing with from a replacement point of view. Getting to the bulbs is no big concern (I've done defroster vents... heheh).

No worries.. :)
I'll pop one out and snap a pic. Need to prove this can be done without even loosening the climate display unit. Just pop out the vent and use a small screwdriver to release the bulbs.

(I'll also post an update to the front of this thread to save other people some time.)

Clint

#25 ·
Futility....

No sooner do I get the dash back together and pat myself on the back when I notice one of the backlight bulbs has burnt out on the display for the CD player... No biggie... I'll just replace both of the bulbs so I don't have to yank it out again.

(I have to admit I am actually inpressed with how few of the instrument bulbs have burnt out over the years. With the car pushing 6000+ hours of operation, many of the bulbs are overdue for replacement. Good rule of thumb is to always replace the bulbs in pairs because there is a good chance the corresponding bulb will be dying shortly.)

SWITCH ON CLIMATE CONTROL DISPLAY
Still haven't found any info on the three position switch on top of the climate control display unit. I thought it might be a Metric / English / Diagnostics switch but the display showed English units in all three settings. (Wondering if it might be a configuration switch for Cold-Moderate-Hot regions)

#26 ·
Typical of the bulb assemblies used on switches/stereo etc. Lamps available at Radio Shack #272-1092.

Closeup of new lamp installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.