Replace head bolts? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 95 VR-4
Yamahammer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default Replace head bolts?

I have to pull the head to get it worked on. I have been reading around and cant find any solid info on whether I should buy new head bolts for putting my head back on. By searching iv figured out im going to get a OEM replacement head gasket, but im not real sure on these bolts. The motor was rebuilt by IPS a few years ago, but im not sure if they replaced them or not.

quick question too about the head gasket. Is there a place online I can order oem stuff, or is my best bet to go to my local dealership?
Yamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
the 3S whisperer

Drives: 95 mitz 3kgt vr4
gltasn is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Default Re: Replace head bolts?

if the motor has been rebuilt allready then they prob reused the old headbolts. that would mean theve been set to torque 2x. thats the limit i use mine. once ive used them 2x up to temp then i would buy new ones if it were me. if they replaced yours what ips did the build then they only have 1 so you should be ok. use oem mls gaskets only!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Paid Member

Drives: Mitsubishi
GTwizard Level 1GTwizard Level 1
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Yes. Replace head bolt only from mitsubish. DO NOT use the Felpro bolts that most others supply. They are only toque to spec bolts. That means you can only torque them 1 time. But the torque instruction require you to torque them twice. No can do with felpro bolts or they will stretch on you. Your local dealer most likely has these bolts for around $8.00 each. That's crazy. Cherryhill get about $3.35 each.
OBX long tube headers, Flow master single 3" in with dual 2.5 outs. VR4 runners with 2 liter plenum, port matched lower intake, stage 3 or better race preped heads with 1 mm oversize Rev valves, Rev race dual springs and Rev keepers, Delta/HKS 272 cams, 3SX adjustable cam gears, 3.0 Cobra Mustang Throttle body, 3.0 LT1 maft and Maftranslater gen II, Alum. Flywheel, Spec stage 5 clutch, VR4 injectors, Wizard wires, Unorthadox under drive. IPS fuel rails w/adj FPR, Fuel loop, Walboro 255 hot wired, Hot wired single fan. Short shifter, Battery relocate. EBC front slotted rotors, EBC Yellow stuff Pads, 3SX SST brake lines, sway bars, springs.
No IAC, NO AC, NO extra weight, VR4 ECU as of NG2011. Still 10 to 1 slugs, Nitto NT05 Comptition Road Course Racing tires. Magan coil overs, 3sx adjustable rear links.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s0I3tnGGmg[/url]
1st place fastest NA - TXG 2012. 1ST place highest hp NA-240 FWHP TXG-2012. 1st place fastest NA - Drag - TXG 11 98mph, 1st place quickest NA - drags 14.773, 1st place Dyno - TXG11 229 FWHP & 236 tq, 2ND place Auto cross NA C/S- NG2011, 1ST place NA dyno - TX gathering 2010 - 229 FWHP & 199 tq, 1st place Fastest NA - TXG 2010 - 98.3 trap, 1st Place quickest NA - TXG 2010 - 14.680, 2ND place 1/4 at NG10, best NA time NG10 - 14.932- no traction, 2ND place 1/4 at NG09,
2ND place Autocross NG09

Last edited by GTwizard; 02-04-2011 at 11:11 PM.
GTwizard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92' VR-4
fivestringkilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwizard View Post
Yes. Replace head bolt only from mitsubish. DO NOT use the Felpro bolts that most others supply. They are only toque to spec bolts. That means you can only torque them 1 time. But the torque instruction require you to torque them twice. No can do with felpro bolts or they will stretch on you. Your local dealer most likely has these bolts for around $8.00 each. That's crazy. Cherryhill get about $335 each.
No thats crazy
Old 02-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: Mitsubishis
soccermania688 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

I was also looking into the same thing. I have my heads off now. For the price of the OEM head bolts it makes no sense to not replace them. Its about the same price of fel-pro bolts.

I would only use OEM gaskets. But if you don't want to spend the money, at least get an OEM head gasket.

1992 3000GT VR4 - SOLD
soccermania688 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
never a dull moment

Drives: 93vr4 & 92vr4
DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

For the record, you dont have to get new head bolts. Some people want to, some people and thats all cool but you dont HAVE too.

Coop
Old 02-04-2011, 02:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
SOHC you in the FACE

Ondontii Level 1Ondontii Level 1Ondontii Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIV View Post
For the record, you dont have to get new head bolts. Some people want to, some people and thats all cool but you dont HAVE too.

Coop
Si Si Si.

I would only replace them if you find they have stretched, unless you have been battling head seal problems and feel like blaming the bolts this time around.

They may be cheap, but if you replaced everything just because it was cheap, you would throw away a lot of good things and blow a large chunk of money for no gain.

Its not that hard to inspect them. People who HAVE to replace them out of paranoia are just as likely to do things wrong with a new set because they obviously don't trust their install method. New bolts do NOT overcome installation mistakes. I know someone who did 70ft/lb and then did a 90 degree turn with new OEM bolts, and wondered why his head seal was bad. He thought either the block cracked or the bolts were defective and he needed to buy another new set and repeat the same process, or get better bolts.
1994 Spirit - 13.85@108.8 - 10psi - Holset He341, Stock SOHC 6g72 - 280whp 304ft/lb
1983 Starlet KP61 -12 point, 4 link, Ford 8.8, 28x10.5, Mopar a904 & 2.5L DOHC 16v, Hx35, A-1000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXF2c...saCIg4HZ3MmpVw

Last edited by Ondontii; 02-04-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Ondontii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
pop the trunk.do it.do it

Drives: 1992 vr4 green
billweber is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

ARP HEAD STUDS MITSUBISHI 3000GT VR-4 6G72 TT 207-4205 - eBay (item 390144740202 end time Feb-11-11 16:15:57 PST)
do it do it
billweber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
never a dull moment

Drives: 93vr4 & 92vr4
DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2DCIV Level 2
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

also for the record, those who have gone with arp head studs have found that they are no better...if not worse then stock.

Coop
DCIV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
The newbie

Drives: '93 Stealth RT Turbo
Oyyci is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIV View Post
also for the record, those who have gone with arp head studs have found that they are no better...if not worse then stock.

Coop
Thanks for noting this, sometimes you get into the mindset of "It's aftermarket and it's more expensive so it must be better." But really, cutting 250$ off for the entire set could help someone working on a budget.

1993 Dodge Stealth R/T TT - Collecting parts stage!
2004 Chevy Cavalier - Daily Driver/Gas Saver
2004 CBR 600 F4i - Good Weather Fun
Oyyci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.