Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

question

748 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  TurboSinceBirth 
#1 ·
what oil weight does the 93 vr4 need in the engine 5-30? 10-40? 20?

#2 ·
If i'm not mistaken its 5/30 but could be wrong.

#3 ·
Calls for 5w-30 but some people use thicker oil.

#5 ·
I plan on running sae 30, gtwizard said that's fine.

#6 ·
Depends on the climate you're in. I run 15W-40 Rotella T.

#8 ·
Yeah it does depend on the weather and the health and miles on the engine. I run 10w30 Brad Penn with a K&N oil filter. I ran Mobile 1 for years and was convinced by many that Brad Penn was way better. I hold better and more consistent oil pressure now and she even sounds smoother. But again it is a matter of taste/preference/engine health/weather condition but you are on the right track as is the folks that commented above. Just make sure you don't use a crappy filter. Use a K&N, a factory one or a Mobile 1 filter.

#10 ·
No it's a good oil. I just haven't switched to a synthetic oil yet. All of the Rotella oils are good. If you really want to know what oil to run go check out Bob Is The Oil Guy - Forums powered by UBB.threads™. Be prepared to spend hours and hours reading oil analysis' off the BTOG forums but you will definitely find out what is good. Last time I checked Mobil 1 synthetic was the most misadvertised one to stay away from that people concluded was greater than it actually was. They changed their oil formula a few years back which wasn't close to as good as it once was. I don't know if they changed it again in the past year but it was breaking down very badly after 1000 miles and sheering something fierce at higher temperatures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.