ok, I feel dumb. what's the worst a backwards fuel filter could do? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2004, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Head of Society of Bob

Drives: 1993 Stealth R/T AWD
Bob The Great is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Thumbs down ok, I feel dumb. what's the worst a backwards fuel filter could do?

So, I go to change my fuel filter today, and right as I'm about to put the new one in, it starts raining. And then it gets windy. And the rain gets worse. So, I go "crap, this needs to get back together." I Throw the new filter in, tighten everything back down, jump in my car and start it up. It idles fine, no leaks from the filter, so I run inside to wait for the rain to die down.

After it dried out a bit, I went driving and everything seems fine. It even got rid of the groaning I was having in higher gears.

But, then, just on a hunch, I go look at the filter again, and sure enough, I put it in upside down. I won't have a chance to fix this until tomorrow, maybe later, since it's Easter. How bad could this possibly be? I'm sure the filter is directional for a reason, but if the car runs fine, should I worry about it?

1993 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo
Sold
238awhp 265awtq (old dyno on 9b's @ 10psi)

Click to go to my website
Twin Turbo Conversion
All Wheel Drive Conversion All Wheel Steering Conversion

Factory Options
One of 482
Black Leather Interior
Removable Moonroof
5spd Manual
Modifications
3SX Light Crank Pulley
Cold Air Wall and Cone Filter
Snake Eyes
Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
SBC DXD Clutch
DN Precat Eliminators
ESP Downpipe
Test Pipe
DSM SMIC's
450cc Black Top Injectors
TD04-9B/13G combo @ 10psi on 10:1 CR
Bob The Great is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2004, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 91 TT Stealth 05 EVO
Mellon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Default Re: ok, I feel dumb. what's the worst a backwards fuel filter could do?

I'd definately put it back on correctly regarless if it's running "fine" worst case scenario you might restrict the flow of the fuel causing increased fuel pressure (fuel pump working overtime) and starv the injectors. You didn't do any prolonged 180mph runs did ya?

**video**

Upload your 3/S videos here http://3svideo.vidiac.com and post www.racevideoforums.com

Intake: E16G turbos, DR Stage III heads, DR Race cams, Unorthodox Cam gears, Stock MAS, 6" K&N air filter, HKS SSBOV, Vacuum Reduction, custom 2.5" intake pipes and Dejon FMIC
Ignition: MSD 8.5mm spark plug wires, NGK non-resistor non-projected R5671A-8 gapped at .026, HKS Twin Power DLI
Electronics: Greddy Turbo Timer, Greddy E-Manage Blue, Greddy Profec E-01, MMCD and Palm, LM-1 Wideband + RPM Converter
Fuel: Blitz 720cc injectors, Denso 310lph fuel pump, Fuel pump Hotwire , relay bypass, IPO SX Fuel Pressure Regulator and Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump
Exhaust: Titan TD05 Headers and 02 housings, EGR Blockoff Plates, ATR downpipe, Twin Borla mufflers
Driveline: RPS MAX 6-Puck Clutch and RPS Flywheel, 17" Enkei RPF1 (16lbs each), Nitto 555 Extreme, TEIN S-Tech springs and KYB GR2 Struts
Other: Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, Krankvents
Mellon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2004, 12:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Head of Society of Bob

yeah, I'm definitely going to put it back in the right way as soon as I can. I just wanted to make sure that in the meantime, I wasn't killing the filter by forcing it to flow backwards or something like that.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: Audi A4
wrat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

i do not believe it would be bag, but mellon did have a good point that it might restrict the gas slightly to the point where you can't feel it. but if you have any management system theb you should be fine since it'd adjust for you and let you know if somehting was causing a problem.

BTW, i noticed that your front aggie land CS. i have a friend that owns a slightly modded black 92 VR-4 down there in bryan. you might have run into him, his lisence plate says SKIMMS
Old 04-11-2004, 01:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Head of Society of Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrat
i do not believe it would be bag, but mellon did have a good point that it might restrict the gas slightly to the point where you can't feel it. but if you have any management system theb you should be fine since it'd adjust for you and let you know if somehting was causing a problem.

BTW, i noticed that your front aggie land CS. i have a friend that owns a slightly modded black 92 VR-4 down there in bryan. you might have run into him, his lisence plate says SKIMMS
I might have seen him. I don't really drive much anymore. just to campus in the mornings and back at night. I always see a Black 97 VR-4 and a Red 99 Base, but not too many other 3S's. I'll keep an eye out, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.