Oil in the wheel well?????? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2004, 07:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

mugs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Oil in the wheel well??????

OK, I just left work this morning and was looking at my car and noticed that my front left wheel well is full of oil. It must be spraying out somewhere in there because the bottom of my oil pan is dry and so is the area around the oil filter.
Could I have blown a line somewhere ?? My oil pressure was running at the normal level and I topped it up before I drove 3000 meters and parked the car at my parents. Its spraying so bad that oil is coming out between the quater panels on the front of the car.

Any help with diagnosing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes a moment to help me out.

Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them!!

If I help you out, please help make the community better and pay it forward.
mugs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2004, 07:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
No loer a Noob?

Drives: low impedance inputs
skunkworks is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Default Re: Oil in the wheel well??????

drivers side?
oil cooler lines <- most likely
oil cooler
oil filter - had one squese out the side once.

those are the most common

sam

skunkworks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2004, 07:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Yes it was my drivers side.
I ran my hand around the oil filter and it was dry. But the oil cooler lines and oil cooler are both good ideas. It was just the amount of spray coming out that amazed me. To have oil coming out from between body panels is something I have never seen before. Thanks for the ideas. My mechanics is still closed right now, so I can't even call him yet. I hope it just looks worse than it actually is.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 Stealth R/T TT
RichardRTTT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Is it oil or grease? If a CV joint boot split open it would spray grease around the whole wheel well.

...or you could have developed an intercooler boost leak and you're blowing out oil that has collected.

Performance Mods:
K&N Intake, Two Stage Boostvalve MBC@6psi/14psi, SPW Boost Gauge, SSQV BOV, Gutted All Cats, 3SX Downpipe, S-AFC GEN I, NGK Ferrite Magnetic Core Wires, NGK BKR6EGP Plugs, E2KMFG Fuel Rail Adaptor, Stillen Brake Pads, EGR Blockoff Plates, Krank Vents, Redline Drivetrain Fluids.

Other Mods: Infinity Kappa Speakers Front and Rear, Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S Tires, Katzkins Leather Seat Covers, Factory Gear Shifter, Dashmat.

To Buy: Bigger Injectors, Fuel Pump, FPR, Upgrade Turbos.

RichardRTTT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2004, 08:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Go Mountaineers!!

Drives: Tin Indian
HilbillyHomeboy Level 2HilbillyHomeboy Level 2HilbillyHomeboy Level 2HilbillyHomeboy Level 2HilbillyHomeboy Level 2
Feedback Score: 39 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardRTTT
Is it oil or grease? If a CV joint boot split open it would spray grease around the whole wheel well.
Would be my first guess.

Jeremy
HilbillyHomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2004, 08:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member # 2818

Drives: 2000 Audi S4
cred05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Are you sure its not brake fluid? It happened to me, my front driver's side wheel was full of "oil" and i have aftermarket rims and the paint started to flake off. And i know that brake fluid eats paint. If you have stock rims it wont do anything to the rims, but check the brake lines by the wheel, for any fluid leaking. All i did was tighten the brake lines and it solved my problem

13T's @ 15psi on Pump gas: 330HP/340TQ?

*DN Performance Y-Pipe*Magnacor Sparkplug Cables*NGK Irridium Spark Plugs(2 steps colder)*HKS Dual Sequential BOV
*3SX Lightweight Crank Pulley*Borla Catback*Test Pipe*ATR Downpipe*Fidanza Flywheel*RPS 6 puckClutch*Kormex Rebuilt Tranny*450cc Injectors*Apexi S-AFCII*Apexi Turbo Timer*Boost, and EGT Gauges*Stillen Brake Pads*Enkei RPO1 18X9*2 Nitto 555, 2 Pirelli PZero Nero 265/35/18*97 VR4 Brakes*GroundControl Coilovers*Drilled and slotted rotors*15psi*ProBoost MBC*FMIC, custom piping*3" GM MAS*MAFT*Dejon Tool Dual Intakes*Walbro 255 Fuel Pump*3SX Adjustable Control Arms*Fuel Rail Loop Adapter Kit*-6 Steel braided fuel lines*Aeromotive FPR*Battery Relocated in Trunk
cred05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2004, 09:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardRTTT

...or you could have developed an intercooler boost leak and you're blowing out oil that has collected.

Im 95% sure it was motor oil. It smelt like oil. My oil level was low in. There is also oil behind the wheel well moulding on the bar the is below the belt area.(Can't remember its name but looks like frame bar). There is however no visible oil on the actual belts. I'm just very scared right now.

edited for spelling.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
JRC
Member #140 Aug, 1998

Drives: Caddy Escalade EXT
JRC Level 2JRC Level 2JRC Level 2JRC Level 2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

If it's dripping and mostly in the rear half of the wheel well, it could also be a leak in the AWS Power Steering Reservoir hoses on the bottom. Check your level. It's the black thing next to your cruise control box with a wire in the cap. The fluid leaks onto the frame and travels down to the rear of the wheel well. There is a page on it in my website under repairs,,,,,, engine area.
JRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2004, 10:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 93 TT
fastmax is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Most likely is oil cooler --- quite a few cars that are driven in the colder climates [ road salt ] report rusted out cooler lines or fittings.

Jim Berry
Old 08-31-2004, 05:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
is naked

Drives: backwards
Speedy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

you probably have a pinhole in the oil cooler lines up behind the fender plastic where you cant see it. check it out before you go through what i did in this thread.
Oil Cooler/ Lines burst while driving $%#@$# Damage???

Rebuilt Block and Heads @ 125k -- ProBoost MBC @ 14PSI -- Spec Clutch Stage 1 -- Fidanza Flywheel -- Blue Accel Plug Wires -- Blue Silicone Vacuum Lines -- Blue Cone Air Filter -- Blue Stock Intercooler pipes -- BCP7ES Plugs @ .035 -- EGR plates -- Custom Downpipe - No Cats
Interior:
Custom White Face Gauges -- Blue Led Conversion -- Anodized Blue Pedals -- VDO Boost Gauge -- Blue Neon Foot Lights --Custom Gauge Pod -- Viper Alarm -- Custom Short Shifter - MMCD logging - Shiver's cable - Palm iiic
Exterior: Snake Eyes -- Anodized Blue Calipers -- Purple Underbody Neon -- 20% Tint -- Falken ZE512's
Audio: JVC Mp3 / CD player 200 watt -- Pioneer 10 band EQ w/ 2 way xover -- Kenwood 2 Ch 600 watt amp -- Kenwood 4 Ch 320 watt amp -- two 12" Pioneer Subs -- two 6.5" Pioneer Midbasses -- two 1" Pioneer Tweeters -- two 5.25" Pioneer Coaxials -- two 6x9" Pioneer 3 ways -- Custom Fiberglass Trunk / Sub Enclosure -- Custom Fiberglass Kickpods
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.