Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Which route to take?

Oil pump options - what would you do?

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  XiKevinn 
#1 ·
I currently have my oil pan and pump off of my 93 vr4, doing my 120k service.

I had purchased long ago an aftermatket oil pump for the car (I was cheap then, I have learned since) which I actually thought turned out to be just a front cover till about ten minutes ago. It is however a full pump (the one thar parts dinosaur sells). I also have a new oem drive and driven gear that I can use to rebuild my stocker if so desired. I'm doing this today, so I need input ASAP.

Any opinions or tips on the service welcome.

Jake

#6 ·
Would've been except I'm cheap and was fixing that day with parts on hand.

But from what I've heard, there's no reason to replace the whole pump if the case is within spec, and it was working fine when I pulled it.

I did rebuild the stocker.

#8 ·
Yes I did.

And again, no spun bearing, no piston issues, engine was running strong when disassembled.

#11 ·
I take this thread a slightly different direction...

IF you have a well running engine with great oil pressure why would there be a reason for replacing it other than its in the scheduled maintenance?

I've seen pics of blown up new OEM pumps as well as rumors of bad aftermarket. I would stay with the one that still works.

The timing belt maintenance is well documented but I havent heard of anyones engine dying from an old oil pump.

Anyone have evidence I havent read about?

-SP

#13 ·
Go OEM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.