Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

New DR750 owner-- guess the dyno!

85K views 536 replies 80 participants last post by  kywhitelightning 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay guys the day is almost here! For those of you who may not know- I bought a 1992 VR4 in Vegas and I am now only a day and a half from being able to FINALLY drive it. I have been waiting patiently for my baby and in the process of waiting I have spoiled her with goodies.

I will only have my car for a good week before turning it into the masterminds that are FSR Motorsports and allow them to create my dream vehicle. With that in mind, and running off of Benson's dyno post, I am wondering what you guys think the final WHP will be.

P.S. there will be a prize for the person who is closest to the end WHP.

The mods:

3.1l engine
DR750 turbos w/ wastegate actuators
3S Pro EFI 128 ECU (tuned by the amazing trio at FSR Motorsports)
IBoost Controller w/ boost control solenoids
E85 with flex fuel
Walbro 400lph
FIC 1100cc High Z injectors
HKS DLI
NGK spark plugs/wires
Southbend Stage 3 clutch
Intake
3 in DP/exhaust
HKS BOV
92.5MM Weisco pistons
Brian Crower H Beam Rods
Forged Crank

What do you guys think?

Enjoy.

See less See more
#99 ·
Update and looking for suggestions:

Due to some complications with my forged motor, I will be modifiying my stock engine and putting the DR750s on it instead (for now). The current motor has 112k miles and the cast crank. With that in mind, FSR and I havve spoke about pushing the car since 600awhp is well within reach with the mods that I have:
PROEFI
AEM FPR
DR750s
E85 converted
HKS DLI
KB BAP
Walbro 400lph for e85
and other supporting mods.

So now I ask:
1. Should I "push" my stock engine with the cast crank on the dyno or not? The reason that I ask is because the ProEFI chip allows me to have different settings with the twist of the nob. The "push" setting would be there but to show what it achieved but I am more than likely not going to drive in that setting daily if at all.
2. If I decide not to "push" my motor. What HP setting should I drive around reliably while pushing the cast crank to the limit? I am hoping that 550awhp should be good but then again I may not mind testing the limits of the cast crank to see how much it can take since I do have a forged motor on reserve.

What do you guys think? The car has potential to hit 650awhp with a forged crank-- I am just worried about pushing the cast crank. Any suggestions? I plan to eventually go after the TD04 record once my forged motor is ready for install.

#100 ·
That sounds like a big disaster. I know Pro EFI has more fail safes built into it than other standalones but I wouldn't push the cast crank. I would keep it to 400-450AWHP. 550AWHP is definitely too much. You will break the crank for sure. Keep the boost low maybe 12-15 psi and enjoy it until FSR finishes your motor. You have to keep in mind how much money you're throwing away if you push the motor too far and it breaks. The cost alone to rebuild the turbos will have paid for another forged 3.1L motor.

#103 ·
Freddy, don't push that cast crank... I would have to agree with TSB.. I would install the 9Bs on my stock motor and drive the car to Ray and have him finish it up.

Although the Pro EFI is a good system, I hate they talked you into buying it. It's a proven set up on Supra's but simple is better and the 3s is not like a supra. It would have been more beneficial to copy Rays set up totally.

As you have found out, there aren't many people tuning pro EFI's on our cars. Hell I think you are the only one running one. The Maft Pro and AEM's have done well on our platform.

trust your car to people that know about them ( not saying FSR doesn't) but I don't know of a lot of 3S cars that have been built by them. Pampena, IPS, Ninja Performance, Dynamic Racing are the ones I would trust....

#101 ·
Wait for the forged motor or 9bs on cast crank with e85 while you wait.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#106 ·
In absolutely no way am i discrediting anything Ray has done with his car. But implying they wasted his money with the pro-efi when building what has the potential to be a mid 600 wheel car is borderline absurd. Thinking a piggy back MAFT/AFC combo is in any way remotely "better" because its cheaper is exactly why this platform went no where.

FSR knows how to build a good car.

Jason

#107 · (Edited)
that's not what I'm implying!!! I'm saying he could have gotten the same results with an AEM, which is what Ray uses. Pro EFI are obviously great computers. I don't know of anyone using them that has established them selves on this platform... Why spend the money on something that the 90% of drivers will never use to it's full potential?

the AEM would have been just fine IMOP. Do you know anyone using one on the 3S platform?

#108 ·
I'll go with whatever the shop is most familiar with. If they primarily roll with ProEFI then i'd go with that over the AEM. The opposite is also true.

Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Jason

#113 ·
no worries. I have had shops that specialized in tuning AEM systems, blow up three motors... tuning is only part of the equation, understanding that tuning a 3 s is not the same as tuning any other car is priceless..

I dont doubt that fsr builds great cars, so does Top Speed, Forged Performance and Batleground. .. all of whom blew up 3 pampena built stroker motors.

#112 ·
Most decisions that I make are ones that I put a LOT of time into. I graduated from a top research University and researching is pretty much all that I do. So in regards to the PROEFI, I saw the price tag and immediately got turned off, but after doing my own personal research on it and seeing how well it works for people wanting to tune with e85, I actually reached out to FSR and told them that I would like the PROEFI setup before they even knew who I was. I don't think the PROEFI is a waste of money because it is giving me the quality peace of mind that I am searching for. The technological advancement that it offers is amazing-- I witnessed how well it works and how it automatically adapts and changes once the ethanol/pump gas % changes. To me-- that makes it worth the money just by itself. However, thank you everyone for your input! I will continue to update the community on my dream project and hope to provide you guys with sound results ASAP. I have all the parts ready to make this into a 650 awhp beast-- unfortunately there were some externalities prohibiting my dream from becoming a reality as soon as I would like but I won't give up!

For now, I may just go ahead and ride around with the 9bs and the PROEFI tune. The good thing is that in the meantime at least I will have a 330 awhp/ 400tq car. I can deal with that (for now). Thanks again for the input guys!

#115 ·
If I had the cash or I went standalone I would hands down go ProEFI. It's a good investment probably worth its weight in gold. Even with AEM Infinity dragging their feet for a flex fuel standalone it still won't be as refined or feature rich as the ProEFI. I like the idea of using an oil pressure sensor, fuel pressure, and a whole slew of other sensors you can choose from built all around fail-safes to protect your motor. With the boost knob that has 5 settings even if you're running less ethanol content than a certain boost level is supposed to be for it will override your boost setting to a safe level making sure your motor doesn't blow. There's tons of features like that both the AEM v1 and 2 series don't have. Another thing would be individual wheel traction control I would use to keep the dominant front wheel on our open diffs from torque steering or in general to use it in aiding against slip, pull, etc on the front. If I get to the point where I don't have much left to buy for my car I'll probably go ProEFI and learn how to use the software.

#116 ·
You guys got it wrong. proefi is a lot more than just a flexfuel ecu. It is much more accurate ECU and more accurate means more power and more reliability. FSR tunes and sell everything. AEM V1- V2 and V2 with new software. They also tune and sell AEM infinity and proefi. What I think why so many tuners smash the bearings on these cars is because our timing control is crap. Tuners don't just add tons of timing with no reason. I bet what they do is they give little timing and the engine likes it and then they give a little more timing and the bearings get smashed. That tells you the timing in our engine is like a switch. It's too little and then bag too much. I bought my proefi from FSR also and they improved the timing in our cars with the new timing wheel they give with the kit. They are so smart. LOL They multiply the timing resolution by eight times than factory timing resolution. That means more timing control and better bearing life more reliable engine and better drivebality and power. People who switch to proefi loved the way the car drove. they say it drive like factory.
Here is the picture of the timing gear they send you. If you have the 2nd gen car like me then you'll need to buy 1st gen crank/cam sensor to install this.

#119 ·
Good post buddy I'm gunna buy a pro efi in the near future maybe depends how this aem series 2 works out.

#117 ·
Just FYI, AEM 2 has flex fuel and fail safes....finally. FSR was one of the beta testers. I'd trust them for tuning either system.

I want AEM series 2 now though. Anybody want my series 1??

#121 ·
Not everyone agrees with or has the same problem with drift. I asked around when I was going AEM. Plus you can adjust it. Jesse had it under load and not free rev, but even then if you have a dyno and measure it you can adjust the drift.

#122 ·
you aren't going to be able to adjust for it if it is inconsistent due to sensor inaccuracy or timing belt flutter.

#123 · (Edited)
That is one of the points that I brought with them. Here is their reply. Pro efi yet again amazed me. LOL
"That doesn't take into account the fact the the OEM crank trigger wheel is very crude and inaccurate, the 8x wheel you have is much better. If you really want crank resolution, you can add a 60-2 tooth wheel on the crank and use a mag sensor. However, that adds significant time and costs. The ProEFI also has built in parameters to account for any timing drift and when it is sync'd, it should be verified at idle and at 6krpm before any tuning is completed."
Also If you say they are just trying to sell the part then think again because I bought mine cheaper than what SP offered me and they didn't include this wheel.

#124 ·
I know that I purchsed the works in regards to every sensor that the PROEFI offers-- I just haven't heard FSR mention anything about that crank. I will check on that. But yes, all of the information in this thread was exactly the info I researched before making the decision. I do feel as if I am paying high dollar for a quality product and I don't feel as if I am getting the shit end of the stick at all. This has been my largest investment yet (more expensive than my DR750s) and I will never second-guess my decision-making in regards to purchasing the PROEfi. I do, however, want to take advantage of the personal training sessions that FSR offers which allows me to learn how to operate the PROEFI on my own-- which I find to be an amazing customer luxury on behalf of FSR. Once I get my car out of the shop I will definitely be taking advantage of that service.

Once again, the work that FSR has done on my car has been great thusfar (minus the intricacies with the unseen complications along the way). My car is sitting at 330 awhp and 410 tq with only a chip and fuel. I wish that my car could have been available already but problems are rarely accounted for when planning out projects. All in all-- I hope for my car/ this forum post to be a nice one that allows new,old and experienced 3Sers eyes into a new project (one that hopes to break a record soon) and insight on a new product unfamiliar to the 3S community (ProEFI 128).

Looking forward to updating this thread with more information along the way.

Thanks again for the input.

#126 ·
BE A LEADER NOT A FOLLOWER like some people like to do around here lol!

#128 ·
Southbend Stage 4 FE clutch installed:

and while FSR was at it-- they gutted my rear pre-cat:

Dynos for the new DR750r may be just around the corner! I will keep you guys posted on how the turbo does on a completely STOCK 3.0l motor.

Beyond excited to see what they (the turbos and FSR) can do!

#132 · (Edited)
I am not sure how much power FSR wants to squeeze out of the stock motor. I personally would like to see how much power my setup can make before I swap in the forged motor.

As far as the standalone goes: ProEFI 128 3000GT Package

ProEFI 128 3000GT Package
Price: $3 199.54

Ask a question about this product

The ProEFI 128 ecu has the following and is capable of controlling just about any platform:
Injectors 12 Peak n Hold – with calibratable peak time. 6 – 6/2 amp, and 6 3/1 amp.
Coils 16
TPS Yes – Adaptive
Coolant Temp Yes
Air Temp Yes
Map Sensor Yes – Unlimited Range
Idle Control Pulse Width and Stepper motor – Adaptive
Wideband O2 2 Built in UEGO controllers (External capable)
Cam Yes – Hall/VR capable
Crank Yes – Hall/VR capable
Variable Cam Yes 2 cam capable
Knock Channels 2 Programmable frequency and event with individual cylinder notification
Flex Fuel Capability Add a Flex fuel sensor, and the computer automatically adjusts fuel, timing, and boost based on Ethanol content!
Nitrous Control 4 stages multiple event trigger control range. V.E. based fueling****
Boost Control Multiple control strategies.***
Traction Control Multiple control strategies.***
Fuel Pump Control Yes*
Analog Inputs 34* Fuel Pressure monitoring and feedback correction, Oil Pressure, Exhaust Backpressure Feedback and correction, and much more.
Low Side Outputs 10 total – 8-10 amp capable – 2-2 amp capable*
Tach Yes – Software configurable
Digital Inputs 8 channels – Fully programmable pre configured
High Current Bridges 3 channel sets – Used for Stepper motor control, or Electronic Throttle Control
Speed Inputs 2
Drive By Wire Yes
Fault Coding Safety Yes**
MIL (CEL) Yes – Malfunction indicator with fault codes
Main Relay Control Yes
5v Ref 2 locations
Sensor Grounds 2 locations
Key Switch Power Yes
Permanent Power Yes
Battery Backup No
Chassis Ground 4 Locations
Can Channels 2 Channels
Serial Connection Yes*****
RS485 Connection Yes*****
Internal Memory Limited to Fault logic
USB Direct Connection No
Laptop Connection USB

This package includes:

1 x ProEFI 128 ECU

1 x Mitsubishi 3000GT adapter harness

1 x 5 Bar MAP Sensor kit

1 x IAT Sensor kit

1 x Wideband Sensor Kit

1 x Fuel Pressure Sender

1 x iBoost Knob and Solenoid

This is what FSR states the package includes. They mentioned that I have the WORKS including the flex fuel sensor. I also have the CAN Display installed which monitors all of that. I can double check to make sure that I do have those sensors but hopefully they are included.

EDIT: I'm not sure about the oil pressure BUT:
ProEFI 128 3s Package: Pro128 ECU, 3s harness adapter, 5
bar map sensor, IAT sensor, 150psi fuel pressure sensor,
Wideband o2 sensor kit, iBoost controller assembly kit, boost
control solenoid with connectors. Removal of stock engine
management, installation and dyno tuning. ret Includes: Flex Fuel
sender, addle tuning for 2nd fuel

In my invoice I do have the fuel pressure sensor included.

Thank you for the input.

#136 ·
Thank you very much! Since this will be on the stock engine, any number that I get will be great to me! I just want to drive my car finally and have some fun with these bad ass turbos before I go through with the swap!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.