MSD DIS-4 Plus HO wiring diagram? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2005, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pro xfercase destroyer

Drives: One quick Spyder VR4
mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Default MSD DIS-4 Plus HO wiring diagram?

Anyone got one of these? The wiring on them is a bit different than the older DIS-4 HO with the dipswitches (this one has rotary knobs for the settings), and like a dumbass I managed to misplace the instructions after I installed it in the car. MSD still has the old instructions only on their website.

I need to know which wire on it is the Tach wire. On the old one it looks like the tach wire plugs into a little connector on the DIS-4, but on this one there is an additional wire coming out of the unit, and it also has that black slip-in connector on it. Is the slip-in connector the tach lead, or the additional wire (pink?).

Thanks!
mjannusch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2005, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pro xfercase destroyer

mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3
Default Re: MSD DIS-4 Plus HO wiring diagram?

Since nobody replied, I'll answer my own question and provide some additional info...

Tach output from the MSD DIS-4 Plus is the same as on the non-plus version. There's a spade connector that you need to plug a connector into. My MSD box didn't come with one, but a standard crimp-on one that I had laying around worked fine once I trimmed the insulating boot off it.

It'll also work totally fine if you connect the tach output straight to the tach in the car, without the expensive and bulky MSD "tach adapters". Just cut the white wire on the flat connector at the stock ignition power transistor (below the stock coils) and connect the tach output to the harness-side of the wire (not the PTU side). Awww yeah, tach working again.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Go Mountaineers!!

Drives: Tin Indian
HilbillyHomeboy Level 2HilbillyHomeboy Level 2HilbillyHomeboy Level 2HilbillyHomeboy Level 2HilbillyHomeboy Level 2
Feedback Score: 39 reviews

Damn tach adpaters. Seems most can get away without them and some can't. Of course I'm in the "can't" category...as always.

What are the advantages of the "plus" model?

Jeremy
HilbillyHomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2005, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pro xfercase destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy
What are the advantages of the "plus" model?
It has rotary dials for adjustment instead of the dipswitches. It has an additional "nitrous retard" so when you are spraying it can pull out timing at the top-end (programmable retard amount). Has an "ignition kill" wire that when activated will disable spark for anti-theft purposes.

I'm sure the 2-step and revlimits are more granular since the rotary dials let you dial your limits by increments of 100 rpm. I think the old one with the dipswitches was more coarse than that.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Go Mountaineers!!

Drives: Tin Indian
HilbillyHomeboy Level 2HilbillyHomeboy Level 2HilbillyHomeboy Level 2HilbillyHomeboy Level 2HilbillyHomeboy Level 2
Feedback Score: 39 reviews

Ok, thanks. I use the AEM ems to control all of those functions so it would be no upgrade for me. (already have DIS-4 HO only to drive MSD coils)

I have a master cut off to disabale, well everything.

Jeremy
HilbillyHomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2005, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 Stealth TT
MagnumForceGTO is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I noticed in the Summit catalog they now list:

MSD-8883
Wiring Harness, Connects DIS2/4 to Dodge/Mitsubishi
(new) $25.88

Would this work for your DIS? I also wonder if this is dsm and not compatible with the 3/s??
Old 10-01-2005, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 1993 VR-4
Kx125kid is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Part number 8883 does not work i tried it already
what you need is bothe ends of the front o2 sensor off a 95-99 eclipse turbo i made my harness plug and play

wasn't as hard as i thought it would i was just thinking to hard
its that simple

if you need help just ask

Kx
Http://www.3SNY.com
Kx125kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2005, 09:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pro xfercase destroyer

Don't those O2 sensor connectors have two larger-gauge wires and two smaller-gauge wires in them though? The ones I looked at did. If that's the case, that isn't what you want to use.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ninja Performance

Drives: Vicki Insane
Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4
Feedback Score: 224 reviews

yeah, that new Plug and play harness is for 2 coils, versus our 3. Dont' work. Called MSD and there is nothing for us. But wiring in the MSD DIS-4 is cake anyway. No reason to need the quick harness.

91VR4-3.0L-Stock heads and Cams-835AWHP 747AWTQ Daily Driver 10.31@142mph on street tires
SLTT-10.9 @ 142MPH Stock NA engine and NA heads/Cams

T4 AWD 9.21 @ 154.98 (Chris Hill Driver/Builder/Tuner Car Owned by 3SX)
T2 FWD 10.19 @ 140.31 (Chris Hill Driver/Builder/Tuner Car Owned by 3SX)
T4-159.23 MPH Ran on 6G72 3.1L! (Chris Hill Driver/Builder/Tuner Car Owned by 3SX)
T4-995AWHP Uncorrected 6G72 3.0L C16 (Chris Hill Driver/Builder/Tuner Car Owned by 3SX)
T2-820FWHP 3.1L 27psi C16 (Chris Hill Driver/Builder/Tuner Car Owned by 3SX)

3000GT/Stealth Drag and Dyno Database
Import Power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 94 VR4, 01 GMC TDies
xwing is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Thread from the Dead!

THANKS to Matt Jannusch for this, I am unfu%^ing the rats nest of wiring on my 94 VR4 (FINALLY running again but some issues LOL surprise), and was looking at all this, found this message and how to get rid of the two HEAVY (~2.6 lbs total) STUPID MSD TACH ADAPTERS that Matt laid out so nicely.
It WORKS!!! WOW THIS IS SO GREAT I'VE HATED THOSE THINGS FOR A DECADE+!!!

Quoting Matt:

"Tach output from the MSD DIS-4 Plus is the same as on the non-plus version. There's a spade connector that you need to plug a connector into. My MSD box didn't come with one, but a standard crimp-on one that I had laying around worked fine once I trimmed the insulating boot off it.
It'll also work totally fine if you connect the tach output straight to the tach in the car, without the expensive and bulky MSD "tach adapters". Just cut the white wire on the flat connector at the stock ignition power transistor (below the stock coils) and connect the tach output to the harness-side of the wire (not the PTU side). Awww yeah, tach working again."
---------------------------
THANKS MATT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND 3SI for KEEPING ALL THIS INFO!!!!!!!!!!!
Jack T.
xwing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.