Loosing coolant out of the overflow, overheating...why? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2006, 12:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: '91 VR-4
thisisnotkaui is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Loosing coolant out of the overflow, overheating...why?

I am losing massive amounts of coolant out of the overflow bottle and I dont know why. I thought it would be the thermostat but I just changed it and the thing did the exact same thing. Ill drive around for a little while and coolant will pour out of the overflow bottle. Then the low coolant results in more steam escaping out of the bottle and the needle keeps on rising until I shut it off and add more fluid to it. The only thing I can think of is the radiator being clogged. If that is the case, should I try cleaning it or just get a new one? If thats not the case, then im open to suggestions. Id really like for the car to not do this anymore.
thisisnotkaui is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2006, 02:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Re: Loosing coolant out of the overflow, overheating...why?

ttt bump
Old 08-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wheels In Hand...

Drives: 95 TT
grtn316 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Check for kinks in the line somewhere.

grtn316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2006, 01:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

checked everywhere i can think of and everything seems to be cool. any more suggestions? im prob gonna try and yank out the tstat and attempt to flush out the system. the car will idle fine for hours but once i drive the thing it starts peeing out radiator fluid until it steams out empty.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
I kill brakes

Drives: Other People Around
Highboosted Level 1Highboosted Level 1Highboosted Level 1
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

Fans work?

So it can idle fine, but once under load you lose coolant?

maybe a blown headgasket. Thats what the 7M-GTE did to me (it had a hole blown in the head too).

Official member of the "I upgraded everything in my car and now it's slower than stock" club.

12.8@107, 13 psi @ NG09.
Highboosted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2006, 02:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

i dont smoke at all, and i can only smell the coolant once it starts pouring out of the bottle. the fans work fine, when the car is idling the fans will come on and the temp will stay within a good range for about 20 mins. i havent let the car idle past that though.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: '91 Stealth R/T
RisingSun is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

have you checked your coolant pressure cap?? you can squeeze your upper radiator hose and see if you feel any pressure. chances are it will collapse easily. i just started having the same problem, put the car under load, then let off the accelerator, and coolant starts blowing out the overflow. not really sure if it works or not but, i have been told that you can remove the cap, then start the engine, if water blows out of the filler neck, then you have a blown head gasket, if is doesn't blow out, then you have another problem. the coolant filler cap is supposed to maintain somewhere around 13 psi, not much but enough to make the radiator hoses a little firm, so give it a squeeze and see. if your curious as to why that cap would make a difference, fill your radiator up, start the car and let it idle, if the coolant level goes down a bit, fill it again. now, gas it a little and watch what happens when the revs begin to come down. i might be way off the mark here though but it's something simple to check and the part is cheap enough.

ah, just read your original post again. yeah, you may very well have a clogged system with the overheating you are getting.
RisingSun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2006, 09:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
H to the izzO

Drives: Recklessly
Hannibalzero is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 61 reviews

I had the same problems about 1 month ago - Replacing the radiator cap fixed it. Inspect the gasket on the cap. It needs to form an air-tight seal, or else the unpressurized system will coolant to boil off at lower temperatures.

As others have suggested, check for radiator kinks, fans, and if all else fails, replace the thermostat. Most importantly, CHECK THE WATER PUMP AREA FOR LEAKS. This is unlikely if routine maintenance has been done, but you need to make sure the pump works correctly. Take the T-belt cover off and make sure the pump wheel spins while the engine is running.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 3s #3
Mr Wizard is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

+1 for radiator Cap. The system is pressureized at that point from the water pump and the expanding engine components (and water). If it is open all time the flow will simply go straight out.

Also. If you take off the radiator cap and water comes gushing out that should be normal. There is pressure there and with no cap that is the path of least resistance to lower pressure so water will come out. I dont believe this would necesarilly indicate BHG.

E-mail/Paypal: chrisisd @ gmail.com

Changed the Username.
Old: mr_wizard_69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brett
Wait a minute, so I'm always calling for flatbeds because my car was designed by a company who isn't worried about getting the equipment back home?
Mr Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2006, 09:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: '98 SL
3000GT_Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

I would also try replacing the radiator cap. That fixed my problem anyways. I bought one of the GReddy ones...GReddy Radiator Cap
3000GT_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.