Lets talking Turbine wheels! - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
mas
Verified Seller

Drives: 95 R/T TT
mas is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Default Lets talking Turbine wheels!

Still working the internal struggle of what will be my end all best and greatest turbo upgrade per dollar spent.
And im stuck on the turbine side..
one side of me says. the small stock wheel will spool the fasterestness dog..whut whut.

and the other side says. to much exhaust restriction will limit how much fresh boosted air can enter the chamber. lowering efficenncy and reducing HP gain.

So.. can we discuss what turbine shaft you use.. why. what gains have you seen.. should you go the biggest you can get off the bat? HL. or step up one or two sizes. H or L.

Im only looking to make 400-450 on a dyno. and im done.. havent been able to get these 9b's to make anything over 334 so far. Next upgrade will be 15G or 16T's.. but.. exhaust turbine size.. . please... . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Midwest Turbo Connection

Drives: A6 V8_70 Cuda_92VR4
92RT-TT Level 192RT-TT Level 1
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Default Re: Lets talking Turbine wheels!

On back to back testing we saw a improvement of 25-30 awhp and torque going from the L to the HL. Spool was only a couple hundred RPM slower going from the L to HL as well so the gains are pretty substantial vs the loss of a couple hundred rpm.

Going from a standard shaft to the L is hardly worth it as the L is really not much bigger. If you were going to step it up I'd say at least go H but really if you are already going H, go HL because the spool difference is so minimal between H and HL.
92RT-TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Gearoholic is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas View Post
Still working the internal struggle of what will be my end all best and greatest turbo upgrade per dollar spent.
And im stuck on the turbine side..
one side of me says. the small stock wheel will spool the fasterestness dog..whut whut.

and the other side says. to much exhaust restriction will limit how much fresh boosted air can enter the chamber. lowering efficenncy and reducing HP gain.

So.. can we discuss what turbine shaft you use.. why. what gains have you seen.. should you go the biggest you can get off the bat? HL. or step up one or two sizes. H or L.

Im only looking to make 400-450 on a dyno. and im done.. havent been able to get these 9b's to make anything over 334 so far. Next upgrade will be 15G or 16T's.. but.. exhaust turbine size.. . please... . .
U want to make that much HP? Time to think about more than the shaft size in ur turbos? Really?

Yes...exhaust. ur on the right track there. Push it in and u have to let it out. But what the hell does turbo shaft size have to do with what ur looking for? I dont even comprehend that question. Totally off with that. U can pull that goal off stock turbos. U just need to get ur engine set to do it. Those td04s will get u to ur goal...its the rest of it u need to be looking at.

Where are u with fuel? Internals? Got the air pump ready to take it in and let it out? Thats all this engine is...an air pump. Give it more air...give it more fuel. Give it all it has until it detonates...predetonates...or is otherwise on the edge of puking its guts up...and youre doen.

Not enough to make u happy? Time for a hell of a lot more parts than a turbo shaft...

396 Stroker Mustang (sold)-1993 Stealth Base (sold)
1995 3000GT (parts)
1992 3000GT/SL (son's daily)
1992 3000GT/VR4 (my daily)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan (getaway vehicle)
3 Sons (all rock!)
1 Dog - "Turbo" (thinks he's a cat)
1 Cat - "Ozzy" (thinks he's a dog)
Gearoholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
mas
Verified Seller

so gearaholic.. you are saying you have no idea how a turbo works...

the turbo shaft . is connected to the exhaust side wheel. make the shaft and turbine wheel one section.

Just like everyone here obsesses about the COMPRESSOR side of a turbo. the part that makes them a 15G or 19T or 9b.. there is another whole entire side of the turbos. and multiple wheel and fan sizes to go with it. and turbine side is what spins the compressor side. using the exhaust gases.. the larger the wheel is. the more air can get by. and the faster it can spin. but the smaller the turbine shaft/wheel is the faster it can spool. trying to find how and what people have comprimised.

I have everything i need sir to make more than that much power. im on stock turbos untill i can decide on what size i want to go with and why.
Hence i would like to discuss peoples turbine wheel choice..
mas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 93 VR4 & 91 VR4
VR3.9 Level 1VR3.9 Level 1VR3.9 Level 1
Feedback Score: 25 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearoholic View Post
U can pull that goal off stock turbos....
Really?

Ok, never rmind.

If your talking 450 on pump then for the money I would say DR650's. But then that's not really the question. Everything is a trade off but the HL 11 blade might be the best of both worlds. Fast spool and plenty of HP. It's part of what makes the new billet DR's so good.

MITSUBISHI TD04HL Turbocharger Turbine Wheel 11 Blades | eBay

16T's would do it, but why run at the edge. 19T's or better yet billet 19t's with 11 blade HL.

Most powerful 13T car on the planet @501awhp, PTE 780CC injectors, AFPR, E85, Greddy Profec B, 3.5" Granatelli MAF, MAFT, Apexi ITC, SS Headers and O2 housings, 3SX downpipe, CRX racing FMIC, Dejon intake pipes, Ground Controls, Maximal adjustable rear control arms, Maximal TC Brace, Poly front and rear mounts, Vacuum Reduction, EGR block off plate, Hot Wired Walbro 255 and inline Walbro 255, Southbend stage 3 clutch, Slotted and vented rotors, SAFCII, Turbo XS BOV, 3SX FP hotwire, Seatle Short Shifter, Jackhammer timing gears: Best 1/4 mile 12.33 at 114.9 mph 1.79 60ft.
VR3.9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
One fix at a time

Drives: 95 RT/TT
TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2
Feedback Score: 36 reviews

TD04 lag is a joke. There is really hardly any difference between the standard turbine wheel and an HL. I would not call it a mod that takes fun out of it because you're reving to the moon. Yes it's noticeable that they don't spool as quick but frankly when you feel how much more power there is you won't care about a couple hundred rpm. If you did you would go with DR-750s and be done with it. But that's way overkill and budget. Billet DR-650s are a good option. Otherwise, 19Ts or 15G HL turbos would be a more budget friendly upgrade.
95 RT/TT Billet TD04s on E70, DW1000cc injectors, ARC-2 with 92mm maf, 3SX fuel rail loop, hotwired Walbro 416, 3" FMIC, single Krank vent, Hallman Pro MBC, BlackStealth LCD BC, AEM wideband, AEM oil pressure, Apexi S1 coilovers with SCE EVO 8/9 adapters, 3SX adjustable control arms, Maximal solids/3SX poly motor mounts, Setrab custom SMOC, stock upper and lower end motor 127k miles.
TurboSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
mas
Verified Seller

anyone else have experience with different turbine wheels.
wont be buying DR anything..

Just trying to compare spool time VS HP out of a stock wheel vs larger turbine wheels. they still seem to be a black art and magic to this community. I guess im just use to my TO4E guys.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
resident evil

wraith Level 2wraith Level 2wraith Level 2wraith Level 2wraith Level 2wraith Level 2
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

DR already makes the best turbine side if price is no object. His original DR650s used an RX7 turbine wheel which had 1 less fin and those were the good DR650s. The next version were not very good and the latest version are the best because though it uses a stockish turbine wheel, the compressor is billet so it flows more air faster. I think if you came up with a billet comp wheel 19T like in size and coupled it to a RX7 turbine wheel, that might be a great combo.
wraith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
mas
Verified Seller

again... no DR turbo.. thanks.

what was the RX7 turbine wheel classified as?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: Mitsubishis
soccermania688 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

So is it worth having the stock turbine housing bored out for the stock wrx td04L turbine wheel or just use stock td04 turbine wheel? Is the cost worth the power upgrade.

Td04 vs td04L?

Im only asking this question because if its not really a big upgrade why bother? And if it is then when having the turbing house bored out i would just go to a HL wheel.

1992 3000GT VR4 - SOLD
soccermania688 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.