Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Hi, quick question. Where would you recommend for my turbo rebuild?

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  blowerbusa 
#1 ·
Hi, my rear turbo has started to whine and my exhaust has begun to smoke. I would like to know the best places to have my turbos rebuilt. The only place that I have heard of is Midwest Turbo Connection (Are they any good?) Can anyone here help with some advice?

Thank you.

#3 ·
idk how comfortable you are with cars, i do mine myself and then just get them balanced.... 3sx rebuild kit. NOT EBAY JUNK.if its whining though you should stop driving it before you ruin the housings... if you send them in you may as well upgrade.
I just rebuilt the car so I'm ok but I would rather let someone rebuild them for me. The car is not being driven anymore.

#7 ·
Justin (Jusmx141) over on DSMtuners rebuilds turbos extremely well. I know your looking for a company, but he specializes in turbo rebuilds, knows turbos like no other, and rebuilds Mitsu turbos daily. He know everything there is to know about turbos. I had a 14b rebuilt by him and the thing looked newer that my 16g that I bought brand new.

For anyone not looking for a company, this guy is top notch. Journal Bearing Turbocharger Rebuild Service | DSMtuners

#8 ·
Ok the reason I asked for a professional company is because freelancers don't usually have access to balance machines due to their cost. I will NOT have a turbo rebuilt without balancing. Marking the wheel does NOT work (and I know many people will argue with me on this one but it doesn't). Unbalanced turbos do not last. Most freelancers won't repair shafts or match bearings to shafts, the pros will, they will just tell you your turbo is scrap. Some turbos are coated, either plated or ceramic. Ceramic paint is not the same as an industrial ceramic coating the latter is way outside the scope of a freelancer due to the cost of the equipment involved. I work in aviation, I have access to a large machine shop and make aircraft parts as and when needed so I am perfectly capable of rebuilding these turbos myself. Unfortunately I don't have access to balancers, platers etc. If I did I wouldn't have posted this thread.

Thank you.

#9 ·
midwest, as in Midwest Turbo Connections. quick search would have pulled them up. but if you don't feel they know what they're doing, i suppose neither does Dynamic Racing.... anyone can rebuild a turbo but it does take practice and knowledge. as for balancing, i just send mine in. $55 from most turbo shops for each assembly. 10+ yrs of zero problems. you asked, and i really hope people who didn't know, wouldn't answer

#12 ·
Turbo balancing is a myth. Sorry. There's no "wear parts" to a compressor or turbine, so it's impossible for a rotating assembly to become unbalanced during a rebuild. Should the wheels contact either housing and wheel replacement is required, then a rebalance would be required. Truth that many competing rebuilders don't want you to know is that a rebalance of the rotating assembly still requires disassembly of the turbo to be performed....so unless the shop has a $100K+ VSR balancer, and less than 2% do, they're essentially marking the alignment of the nut/wheel/shaft just like and charging you for an unessential "rebalance".

#14 ·
No it's not a myth! After 100k miles, without replacing the wheels the turbo's need at least a balance check. P.S. I didn't ask for advice on what needed to be done to my turbos as I already know, just who to take them to. Anyway thank you everyone for your input. I will send my wheels in for balancing this week.

#13 ·
I would stay away from MTC for a rebuild. I've personally witnessed two balancing issues with their turbos and I also had a set break on me from a manufacturer defect, balance issue, or overspinning. I can also name at least 8-10 members here that have had to rebuild their MTC turbos multiple times from a bad rebuild. I wouldn't use them for any kind of performance build. They stick to repairing fleet vehicle turbos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.