HELP!Car shuts off when push clutch and slow to a stop..? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2004, 12:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
nsx
Forum Member

Drives: StealthTT Stage 15+
nsx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Default HELP!Car shuts off when push clutch and slow to a stop..?

PLEASE respond anybody, car is messed up , and I got a hot dATE in 5 days, I will be messed up without a car running right..........

To be more clear I can start the car and it will idle at proper 800-900 rpms most of the time although recently the car soemtime idles at 400-600 rpms. Additionally within the last two weeks I was driving the car and a few times the car would just shut off when I made a hard acceleration and then slowed diown to stop at a traffic light, it would not just go back to normal 800 rpms idle, it would just go all the way down to ZERO rpm's and the car shuts off.
Right afterward I can just start the car up easy with no problem and it will idle fine, but when I accelerate and then push the clutch down and stop the car it shuts off. Even if I am parked and not moving I can start the car, hit the gas it will rev up and whe I let off the gas the car goes down to ZERO rpms and shuts off.
I checke dthe Voltage at the battery with a multimeter and it read 13.25-13.69 Volts. for some reason I was thinkign it was the Alternator, TPS sensor, O2 sensor, or Idle air valve (some type of diaphram near engine right? help contrrol or stabalize idle), or possibly FPR?

Only thing I did was just change a unch of vacuum hoses today using some hose technidues high temp hoses and I triple checked that none of the hoses were hooked up wrong I just did them one by one.
PLEASE RESPOND to nsx@onebox.com if possible...........
I got a HOT date on Sunday and I'm going to be screwed if I can't this in time.
Any and all help is appreciated,
-Chris
nsx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2004, 04:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Trogdor strikes again!

Drives: 2004 Audi S4
WARdriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Default Re: HELP!Car shuts off when push clutch and slow to a stop..?

This happens to a bunch of people, myself included. Usually after working on the vac lines, interestingly enough. I'm not sure why. I don't know much about the vac system and how the ECU uses it, but I can only guess. I think in my case I had some pretty bad leaks and the ECU was able to compensate for them, along with how I had my BISS and throttle cable adjusted. When I fixed the leaks, I got the stalling. I adjusted my BISS, tightened my throttle cable a bit, and reset my ECU and I haven't had any problems. I'm sure my thought process may be flawed, if someone has more info please let me know.

If not of that works, what I had to do was this..when I pushed the clutch in, you're usually trying to slow down as well..so I would have to feather the throttle at the same time to keep the RPMs up. Kind of a pain in the ass, but you get used to it real quick. Especially when you have to exit off the Autobahn like me :-)

Good luck...and re-check all your hoses.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
The 3/S Messiah

Drives: 91 Stealth RT/TT
stealthify Level 1stealthify Level 1
Feedback Score: 53 reviews

I've had similar issues off and on in the past, especially when my car was warmed up or just after racing it.

I found that unplugging the battery for the night (or resetting the ECU) often helped. Wardriver is definitely on to something and I would say give that a try.

Good luck man.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
I'll take the case!

Drives: A Big Nail.
LRStealth is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

1. vacuum leak (make a pressure tester)
2. bad O2 sensors (replace at around 90k)
3. dirty throttle body (remove and clean - remove and clean the IAC)
4. o-ring on the BISS gone bad (replace)
LRStealth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2004, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
nsx
Forum Member

Drives: StealthTT Stage 15+
nsx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

I have looked all over, What is a BISS? the screww thats facing the front of the car, pitched up at 45 degrees angle on the throttle boddy?
or possible the other adjusting screw on the back side of the throttle body near that diaphragm thing?
thanks for responding,
-chris
nsx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2004, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wingless Since Spring 08

Drives: Red 91 3000GT VR4
eblank8 Level 1eblank8 Level 1
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

I thought it could be if you have an open loop BOV.

5Zigen FN01R-C BLP w/ 265/35/18 Nitto 555's
JDM (MR) Geared 6-Speed Swap w/ PST CFDS
Full 99 Body Conversion w/ DeftRacing 575 Hood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj4play View Post
my meat eats corn. If my beef gets hungry because your burning all that corn im going to beat your ass
eblank8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2004, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Blonde? What Blonde?

Drives: With Tall Brunettes
rburnett is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Make sure your MAS wires are connected and that there is nothing blocking the intake. The same thing happened to me before I got my air filter. I used a sock as a filter and it didn't flow enough air, so the car killed everytime I would push disengage the clutch and come to a stop. Took the sock off and the car ran fine.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
I kill brakes

Drives: Other People Around
Highboosted Level 1Highboosted Level 1Highboosted Level 1
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

A sock as an air filter........thats a new one to me.
Highboosted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2004, 08:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Moller Skycar tester

The Best is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

You're Idle Air Control motor might be going. It goes because of mostly heat, and also it gets dirty.

If you have the car manual or the cd's, their is a section in chp. 9 on how to check Idle probs!

If you have a datalogger, their is a setting for ISC (ISC is another name for the IAC idle air controller). If you get step counts of near 100 or higher, you're IAC motor is going.

You can also check the IAC by doing a voltage check between the connector pins. Heres a how to:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-isc-iac.htm

If you need to get one replaced, NAPA sells new ones for $190, and Crebotech sells rebuilt ones for $90.

http://www.crebotech.com/

Though read up on Crebotech before buying.

Also, there are some really low mileage IAC's on Ebay sometimes.
If you have a wrecking yard thathas exotics and/or 3s cars, check with them as well.

I know someone who may have another low mileage IAC for sale as well, for around $90-100.
K&N aircharger with PVC cold air pipe, MBC @ 14.5psi, gutted pre-cats, custom dual 2.5" to single 3" downpipe, 3" test pipe, custom 3" cat-back to flowmaster exhaust. 88 Supra top feed 440cc injectors, Supra Denso fuel pump, Apexi S-AFC, NGK Copper plugs .036" gap, Accel 8mm wires, SBC DXD clutch, Bradi dimpled/slotted rotors, Hawk HP pads, 90/100 watt headlight wiring, 80 watt headlamp bulbs

2001 Trans Am
2006 Subaru WRX
1994 SL exhaust upgraded
1992 Eagle Talon TSI Big 16g
1976 Midget MB, 4 speed, British racing green, fully restored.
1956 MGB, being restored.
1972 Kawasaki 450 HR motorcycle
The Best is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2004, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
I'll take the case!

Drives: A Big Nail.
LRStealth is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx
I have looked all over, What is a BISS? the screww thats facing the front of the car, pitched up at 45 degrees angle on the throttle boddy?
or possible the other adjusting screw on the back side of the throttle body near that diaphragm thing?
thanks for responding,
-chris

Yes, the big screw on the front of the throttle body is the 'base idle set screw' or BISS. If you are going to clean out the throttle body, remove the IAC first so you don't short it out. Remove the BISS and clean it up. The o-ring can be found at a hardware store or order one from Rockville for $2. To install, put a little lube on the o-ring and screw it all the way down. Then back it off a little and start the car. Unscrew it to lower the idle, tighten it to raise the idle.

You can test the O2's by driving with the cruise control on. The ECU needs a constant voltage to test them. The check engine light will come on after a few minutes and the O2 sensor codes will be stored. My car used to do the same thing - stall - before I changed out the O2's.

Make a pressure tester and see if you have any vacuum leaks, though.
LRStealth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.