Hard starting when warm...only sometimes - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1992 Stock VR4 140K
e4Services is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Hard starting when warm...only sometimes

Now I search through the forum and this seems to be a common problem, but could not find a definitive answer except from 2009, SkortchGT stated a solution was non-resistor plugs, recommending NGK BCP6ES's (stock heat range).
This has been happening for years, on rare occasions, as the weather gets warming, to my 1992 VR4 (now 160k) I have owned since 1995 (w/57k). Annoying+ embarrassing as some have said. Now I have a 1996 VR4 Spider, weather here got to 80, drove the car 5 miles, turn it off for a hour, and BINGO would not start! WHAT! So now I look for an answer here.

Cars turn over, seem like they are starting to catch but dont. keep trying, maybe hold the throttle wide open and it will chug and chug sputter shutter shutter kind of barely running then die. Eventually you will get it to kind of catch, step on the gas and with a POP out the exhaust it is running! Now the old car you have to rev it up a bit to get it smooth, but the '96 just started running smooth. It acts like "Vapor Lock" as others have described it, either lean or rich in fuel.
I saw one suggestion of the fuel pressure regulator sticking, now that makes sense or the solenoid they use to give it vacuum, I think it is the same as the boost control but I could easily be wrong. It there a better replacement fuel pressure reg I could try?

Chime in anyone, there must have been an answer by now
e4Services is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
VR-3.75 :**

Drives: 94 vr4, 04 Mazda 6
futurevr4man Level 1futurevr4man Level 1
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Default Re: Hard starting when warm...only sometimes

I've been into these cars for a long time, and heard all the rumored fixes, and I'm here to tell you that I haven't seen anything fix it. I've messed with these cars with some of the really knowledgeable people too.

My personal belief is that there is an issue in the base code of the ECU. But I have no evidence to back it up, other than my experience.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 RT/TT & 91 SL
StealthyRT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

The most probable answer to me was that because the fuel has changed to part ethanol the ethanol boils (much lower boiling point than gasoline) and gives you air in the fuel rails so it's hard to start. I have seen people wrap their fuel rails in insulation but from what I recall nothing worked to well... but this is just what I read on here. I wonder if you could try some fuel with out ethanol to see if it makes a difference

1992 Stealth TT
Rebuilt Motor, Test Pipe. Obx Down Pipe, Gutted Pre-Cats, Poly Mounts, EGR delete, Walbro 255, Greddy type-s, Profec B spec II, Tein S-Tech Springs, 3sx Pre Turbo Pipes, B&M 11x10 Oil Cooler, 99 Lifters, Forged 93 Crank, 3sx lightweight pully, GM 3" maf w/ MAFT, 98sl Flashable ECU, 550cc Delphi Injectors

1991 3000gt SL ATX swapped to MTX
Rebuilt Motor, 99 Lifters, Prothane Engine mounts, Test Pipe, 3SX STS, ̶t̶r̶a̶n̶s̶l̶a̶b̶ ̶s̶h̶i̶f̶t̶k̶i̶t̶, TT Plenum, intake resonator delete, 3SX Light Weight Flywheel, TT 1G Brakes, Clutch Damper Delete, Eibach 2810.140 ECS Lowering Springs

2003 SVT Focus - SOLD FINALLY

WTB:
StealthyRT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Drives a 1997 VR4.

Drives: 1997 3000GT VR4
3000gt3000gt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Its called heat soak. Its super common. I have it, but not to that extent. What helped me a lot was changing out the Idle Air Control valve that's next to the throttle body.
3000gt3000gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 93 RT/TT
BlackStealth Level 1BlackStealth Level 1
Feedback Score: 252 reviews

An intermittent bad coolant temperature sensor can make it impossible to start the car at times. I solved this problem with two cars, it was easy to determine the problem when you can see negative coolant numbers on the LCDBC screen. Unfortunately the ECU does not trigger a CEL code because the coolant sensor is not 100% broken.
BlackStealth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Spd Kills your bank acc.

Drives: '97VR4|'14 DurangoRT
SpdDemon Level 1SpdDemon Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Nice job to plug your own product!!! haha... but it is an awesome product/

There quite a few things that can compound the problem. I had a bad IAC that was not stepping properly, which was easily seen via the LCDB, that wasn't triggering a CEL. Replaced that and it stopped some of the warm start up issue.

These cars were designed in the late 80s so the ethanol/fuel mix is very plausible. especially since giving it gas for a few seconds makes it go away. Do cars running e85 have the issue as well?
SpdDemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1993 Stealth R/T TT
gawdzinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

my car's poor hot starting/idling was fixed when april rebuilt my throttle body. I don't know if it was IAC or throttle shaft seals, but it's great now.

Mods from stock:
VMS Racing 10.2mm spark plug wires, NGK BKR6EIX-11 spark plugs gapped down to 0.32", Touren TR9 3190 wheels, Maximal high flow main catalytic converter, gutted/deleted precatalytic converters, front & rear slotted & drilled brake rotors from eBay, T-bolt stainless clamps, Curt trailer hitch, 2nd gen rear bumper aluminum reinforcement, LED backup & license plate bulbs, Pioneer AVH-X2500BT with backup camera, DSM SMICs converted by oohnoo, 3S warehouse sidemount oil cooler, EVO 8/9 blow off valve, EGR blockoff plates, Vented hood blister mod, Rebuilt stock throttle body, Stainless bolt kit, LCDBC as an ECU monitor, 3SX Stainless-Steel Braided Brake Lines, 3SX Door Sills, Koyo radiator with brackets, High speed cooling fan mod, Retractable license plate holder, 3SX rear control arms, Snake eye mod, SCE brake caliper stiffening bolts, Pilot WI-HL6A 4656 Head Lamp Conversion Kit, K&N oil filter, Free boost mod, Stant XACTSTAT #48217 thermostat
gawdzinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 11:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 1992 3000gt vr4
ThatOneVr4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

I don't think I ever experienced this problem before. Then again my IAC is brand new aftermarket.

Then a year later I had April rebuild the throttle body. Maybe start with the IAC? I believe the aftermarket part is 3000gt IAC AC99.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 3000GTs
Albert0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

I'll start with the coolant temp, look for readings that make sense, then check your fuel pressure, if you activate the fuel pump via the black test port it should build the 40psi or so instantly, if doesn't stays that way for at least a few minutes, check your sending unit, there is a little O-ring that if gets bad it will give you hard starts and also poor performance, also FPR for leaks, injectors, check all your vacuum hoses and the IAC, I had a similar problem, not as bad as yours but it ended up being the starter, it sounded fine, turned the engine quickly but somehow caused a bad start, now it barely turns and the engine fires up.
Albert0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 12:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: GTO
pimprn Negative 1
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Coolant temp sensor. The ecu needs to know how much fuel to inject as per temp. If its getting an improper reading it wont know how much fuel to add. Sensors are cheap and easy to fix just replace
Just because someone goes fast doesn't mean you should do whatever you think they did.This path assumes they knew what they were doing, which isn't necessarily the case. Take this path and you will be guaranteed second place.
pimprn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country