Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Exhaust, cat back straight pipe????

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  STEALTH.TIME 
#1 ·
Hey guys. So I have a 1993 dodge stealth RT/TT, wanting to leave the factory cat, but bolt up a straight pipe from the cat back, will the car run okay? I won't have a resonator, will it be too loud? Or just have a nice rumble, should I do 2.5" or 3"? Any exhaust tips you guys recommend etc. If anyone has done this please give me your feedback, and maybe a video ahahah. Any help would be great guys, thanks tons

#2 ·
I did something like this when I first got my car. Mine had a gutted main cat so it was quite a bit louder than yours would be and I really liked it. The car will run just as good if not better than stock. do 3" for sure, the stock piping after the downpipe merges is 3 inches. exhaust tips are really up to you. Do you like the stock look with the quad tips? or do you like singles tips better. something else you might look into is a single exit exhaust verse dual exit like stock.

#5 ·
Curious as to why you want to leave the main cat? removing it improves performance considerably even on a stock car especially with the addition of a 3" Downpipe... way more then the catback exhaust itself ever will.

If its for Emissions I would buy a test pipe, and just swap them out whenever you have to get your car tested.

The gains you will notice right away make it worth the pain of switching out the test pipe once or twice a year (depending on where you live) They also become clogged over time which can hurt performance even more.

As for volume, its a turbo car - even straight piped these cars aren't very loud until you put a heavy loud on them, such as WOT. but the cat quiets the car down more then the stock exhaust does.

#6 ·
No emmision laws where I am, wanted to keep it just so I wouldn't get pulled over by cops etc. However I may just straight pipe it all the way through. How would I get rid of the check engine light tho??? Would these get rid of the check engine light? And how should I get rid of the main cat? Buy the 3SX straight pipe they sell?

Oxygen Sensor / O2 Sensor SPACER - Alternative O2 Simulator!! - Mitsubishi 3000GT / Dodge Stealth Parts
Would I need these plugs to get rid of the gap?

Would I need the car tuned after I straight pipe it? As I don't have a tuneable ECU. Still on factory. Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

#8 ·
I've had a couple of exhaust tickets in my life, even when it was done by very harassful cops in a state and county that required emissions a cop never asked or looked for cats. We have no emissions here though. Where I live you can still buy LEADED fuel, and there are 2000hp Alcohol fueld drag cars running down the street with open headers.

I wouldn't be worried about it at all, and like Striker3 said, 1G's won't throw a cat code.. one of the many beauties of OBD1

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.