Engine boosting, but lacks power... - Page 2 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
1st/Only TRIPPLE CHARGED!

UPP is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Re: Engine boosting, but lacks power...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3000GTVR4 View Post
On the 2-bolt main twin turbo engine, the cam angle sensor can be adjusted to advance or retard timing. How is it done on the 4 bolt twin turbo engine? My friend says it's not adjusted the same way as on the 91-92 enignes, which is what he has experience working on.
No, it's not adjustable, unless you have some sort of standalone or piggy back system. But that's not your problem anyways, as it's been said allover here, you have a boost leak, it may even be at the BOV since you're hearing that noise.....

When you leak out the boost, the MAF has already regestered it. So it's calculated that you need x fuel and x timing retarded. But that's been leaked out, so you're running excessively RICH and retarding the hell out of your timing (not lean like previously said). It's going to make the turbo spool hella fast with no power (just like anit-lag), casue you really should hardly be seeing any boost when reving it, it needs that load to create it (unless you rap the hell outa it). The surging you feel is the injectors flooding your cylinders, it runs it so rich that it can't even light off the mix causing a mis-fire.....

Visit us: http://www.uppcos.com
Find us: http://facebook.com/UPPCOS
Follow us: http://twitter.com/UPPCOS
Find us on Revv: http://revvolution.com/account/upp
UPP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2007, 12:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 93 VR-4, 93 Base
John3000GTVR4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Thanks for all the responses. We'll get to work on it again in a few days and I'll update you guys with the progress then.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: fast
phantomrt is an unknown quantity at this point

Identical problem here. Idles awesome. Cruises fine, no startup issues, no codes (other than a knock sensor code). The hesitation is most noticeable with a cold engine and right after shifting and going back on the throttle again. No aftermarket boost guage, but the stock one goes all the way up to 14. I know that is not accurate, but nevertheless, this thing IS making boost pressure. Right as the guage reads positive pressure, this hiss develops, and yes, it is a tell-tale sign of a boost leak. The neighbor has a 3 legged dog that is faster than this car. No pressure tests, but I triple checked all the hose connections, and they're all good.
Captain obvious then put his mouth up to the BOV hose and blew into it with breath pressure. Its leaking through. Good chance this is the problem. Next spring, when it is warmer and half way comfortable to work on cars again, I will plug the blow off valve and then see what happens.
91 Daytona ES 3.0 V-6 / A543 193k
93 Geo Metro 1.0/5spd 204k *OPEC bitch-slapper* But only after it burned up 2 sets of exhaust valves!
phantomrt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind

ManuelRecio is an unknown quantity at this point

Been having a similar issue since tday, 3 months ago I got my 92 VR4 with only 48k, but a faulty ECM which I already replaced, car ran perfect since then. On friday I removed the original Y pipe that goes into the intake manifold and installed a metal one. Car ran awesome for the weekend no issues at all. When I started the car today and went out you could hear a pshhhhh sound and there was boost, but lack of power, the stock boost gauge will show boost built up to the max, however it didn't have power. Might it be a boost leak on the Y pipe I replaced?
Thanks
ManuelRecio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

keithmac Level 1keithmac Level 1
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

If it's leak after the turbos then the air meter will read air entering the turbos and show this as "boost" on the stock gauge. It's not really boost but perceived load calculated by the engine ecu.. So you have a leak somewhere after the turbos, y pipe coupler is the first suspect, then recirc valve pipe?.

JDM GTO TT, Emanage Ultimate - PTE 1200's
Twin Walbros, MAF-T Blow Through, M20, DLI
OS Giken R3C, TD04-16g's, Stainless PTFE lines
keithmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

y pipe will be my best guess, as it is what i've replaced recently, it might've cracked as it looks made out of a very thin metal, that or any pipe that could've gotten unplugged.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 GTO TT
mtonkin6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I found on mine when I replaced to a metal y pipe, the one I got(a cheap one) had no lip on the bit that the bov hose attaches to and kept popping off until I got a decent t-bolt clamp
mtonkin6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

Just found out what the problem was, looks like the coupler between the y pipe and the throttle body popped out, will install it again with some sylicone or sealant so it won't pop again due to boost pressure.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
Forum Member

keithmac Level 1keithmac Level 1
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Get a decent coupler and a pair of Mikalor clamps or it'll be forever popping off..
keithmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 vr4
ihumpvr4sforfun is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Thats because the stock plastic bov's are made to leak. It has a hole in it that lets a little air recirculate into the intake even when its not open. I'm not saying its not your problem just that its not air tight. Lol@ your friend for putting his mouth on that nasty hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomrt View Post
Identical problem here. Idles awesome. Cruises fine, no startup issues, no codes (other than a knock sensor code). The hesitation is most noticeable with a cold engine and right after shifting and going back on the throttle again. No aftermarket boost guage, but the stock one goes all the way up to 14. I know that is not accurate, but nevertheless, this thing IS making boost pressure. Right as the guage reads positive pressure, this hiss develops, and yes, it is a tell-tale sign of a boost leak. The neighbor has a 3 legged dog that is faster than this car. No pressure tests, but I triple checked all the hose connections, and they're all good.
Captain obvious then put his mouth up to the BOV hose and blew into it with breath pressure. Its leaking through. Good chance this is the problem. Next spring, when it is warmer and half way comfortable to work on cars again, I will plug the blow off valve and then see what happens.
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.