Egr blockoff and check engine light - Page 2 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2003, 01:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: Pontiac GTP
jeff97vr4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

I don't have a digital camera, I still believe 35mm film will make a comeback.

Let me try again. The blockoff plate that will bolt to the plenum needs to be drilled and tapped to accept a 1/8" NPT fitting. A 90 degree fitting with a hose barb will be screwed into the hole after the plate is bolted to the plenum. Screw the fitting in so that it points toward the throttle body. The large hose that runs from the rear valve cover to the intake track needs to be cut. A Tee fitting is used at the cut. Run a 1/4" hose from the Tee to barb on the plenum block off plate and you're done.

The hose apparently allows enough air to flow into the plenum when the EGR valve is opened by the ECU to trigger the pressure sensor. The system still looks stock, sort of, and there isn't nasty exhaust gas fouling up the plenum and intake. And no CEL. Hope this help. If you have questions, I'll try to answer them.

If any members from Albuquerque with a digital camera want to take a picture, contact me.

Jeff
jeff97vr4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2003, 01:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
vehicular thaumaturgist

Drives: 1994 Stealth TT
Multiades is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Quote:
Originally posted by jeff97vr4

Let me try again. The blockoff plate that will bolt to the plenum needs to be drilled and tapped to accept a 1/8" NPT fitting. A 90 degree fitting with a hose barb will be screwed into the hole after the plate is bolted to the plenum. Screw the fitting in so that it points toward the throttle body. The large hose that runs from the rear valve cover to the intake track needs to be cut. A Tee fitting is used at the cut. Run a 1/4" hose from the Tee to barb on the plenum block off plate and you're done.

The hose apparently allows enough air to flow into the plenum when the EGR valve is opened by the ECU to trigger the pressure sensor. The system still looks stock, sort of, and there isn't nasty exhaust gas fouling up the plenum and intake. And no CEL. Hope this help. If you have questions, I'll try to answer them.

If any members from Albuquerque with a digital camera want to take a picture, contact me.

Jeff
Good fix! Great idea -- I hadn't thought of that.

-Chris
Pearl Yellow 1994 R/T TT w/84k - Sold new 4-Bolt factory short block, DR StgII heads, Titan TD05 headers, 14B turbos w/ ported 7cm^2 housings, 3" minimum-bend catless exhaust, SCE oil pan, RPSII clutch, Fidenza flywheel, OZ F1 Plus 17x9.5" wheels, Kumho Ecsta MX 245/45 tires, Drweldin DSM SMICs, 3SX engine mounts (Maximal solid front), GReddy 60mm P/H/W boost, Carbotech Panther Plus & Bobcat pads w/ slotted/drilled rotors, KSport GT-Pro coilovers, Maximal rear camber arms, SCE balljoints, ABS delete w/ cockpit-mounted Wilwood proportioning valve, AC delete, EGR/evap/dashpot delete, cruise/vacuum-tank delete, '95 Lexan headlights, McCulloch 4300K HIDs, GReddy Type-S BOV, solid shift bushings; Misc Parts: Walbro341, 20# fixed-back seats, Accelerated Moto catch can
Multiades is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2003, 02:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Quote:
Originally posted by Multiades
Good fix! Great idea -- I hadn't thought of that.

-Chris
Thanks, but remember this is only for 96(I think) and later with the Differential Pressure Sensor in the plenum. As you pointed out, earlier models used a thermistor that checks for a temperature rise when the EGR valve is opened won't be fooled by this trick.

Jeff
Old 07-09-2003, 02:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
RESIDENT ASSHOLE

Drives: 1996 3000GT VR-4
DJAuggie is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 44 reviews

Quote:

Jeff

Awesome idea. Multiades and me were debating doing this to my car but feared a CEL, I think this might help me Friggin 96s and their ECUs
DJAuggie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2003, 04:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Looks Fast, gets looks.

Sweet Stealth is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Hello, ive been thinking of buying the block off plates as well for my 94 stealth..

Anyone know what exactly is involved in the resistor or anywhere I could find out more about it..

Ive been searching around and thought that it couldnt be done on a 94 because of a CEL, but heard there was something that could fix that.. Mostly came up with 91-93 models installing the EGR block offs with no problems..

Anyone care to point me in the right direction as to how to do this on my 94.. pretty please..haha..

If someone could help me out that would be great.
Thanks
Ryan
Sweet Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2003, 09:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Forum Member

99redvr4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

im still wondering if its because i unpluged the solenoid and the car thinks that the egr is broken or somthing. that could be a possiblitly right?

i might just put the pipe back on and cut it and put a hose over it so i dont have to drill a hole in the block off plate and find out it doesnt work ya know?
thanks for the info again
-andy red99vr4
99redvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2003, 09:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Forum Member

Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4Trevor Level 4
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Wow Jeff...that's a good idea!
Old 07-09-2003, 09:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Quote:
Originally posted by 99redvr4
im still wondering if its because i unpluged the solenoid and the car thinks that the egr is broken or somthing. that could be a possiblitly right?

i might just put the pipe back on and cut it and put a hose over it so i dont have to drill a hole in the block off plate and find out it doesnt work ya know?
thanks for the info again
-andy red99vr4
If you unplug the solenoid you can get other error codes. Leave everything hooked up like stock, solenoid, hoses to egr valve, etc. The hose lets air flow into the plenum rather than exhaust gas. The ECU is still controlling the solenoid.

You can cut the pipe and do the hose trick but then you have faulty EGR pipe. If you have to do a tailpipe test and they are measuring nitrogen oxides, you may have to install the pipe to pass emissions. If you drill and tap the block off plate, you could always screw in a pipe plug if this doesn't work.

You might try plugging the solenoid back in with the block off plates and see if you still get the error code. If you don't have a code reader, you can clear the ECU by either pulling one of the fuses, I'm not sure which one right now, or disconnect the battery. If you disconnect the battery, make sure you have the security code for the radio.

Jeff
Old 07-09-2003, 09:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
vehicular thaumaturgist

Drives: 1994 Stealth TT
Multiades is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Quote:
Thanks, but remember this is only for 96(I think) and later with the Differential Pressure Sensor in the plenum. As you pointed out, earlier models used a thermistor that checks for a temperature rise when the EGR valve is opened won't be fooled by this trick.

Jeff
Yeah, but exhaust temp is EASY to fake with the appropriate resistor instead of the factory thermistor. I was just wondering how to fake something dynamic, like the change in plenum pressure when the EGR valve is open -- I guess the answer is simple: don't fake it! The fact that you are replacing exhaust gas with air doesn't matter, apparently the pressure change that the ECU expects is the same.

-Chris
Multiades is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2003, 11:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
'94 VR-4

Ikestaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I would also like a little help with this resistor trick. I plan on doing egr blates, boost controller, and some underhood cleaning all at once. Any specifics as to how to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.