Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Dyno Day......numbers off?

15K views 180 replies 23 participants last post by  pimprn 
#1 ·
So did a dyno tune on my car. I tuned the car.......i made 573awhp on pump and some meth, at 30psi. I was expecting alot more.......

My turbos are twin gt3076r with .48 exhaust and .60 on compressor could the .48 rob that much power? Is it cause im so much above sealevel that the air is this thin that its that much of a difference?
my heads are ips race heads 1mm over so theres tons of flow
90mmintake 90mmthrottle body

The dyno was a dyno jet, any gurus suggest anything thanks.

#119 ·
Ok will do.

And no idea about the shims man.

#121 ·
no lifter tick man......the engine sounds so smooth.

#123 ·
I would not try and adjust the cam gears based on timing. Making the highest compression is not necessarily going to be the best setting for power. Different compression will tell you that something is wrong. If that is the case you should adjust them on the dyno for best results.

Do you have compression numbers?

#124 ·
No i didnt have time today i went out with my family and such maybe tommorow ill do it.....Just kind apissed at the car i dont wanna look at it just yet cause that fuse is driving me nuts but i gunna figure this stuf fout in next day or two most likely tommorow.

#125 ·
Small update before i compression test. So my girl was following behind me and noticed when i punched it (2nd gear pull to 30psi) There was a puff of white smoke like as if there was dust on a dirt road but it was white smoke. I am running 2 1000cc meth nozzles on my car at a 50 50 mix could that be the white smoke?

#126 ·
K guys all compression numbers in rear bank are 110psi

All compression numbers in front bank are 135psi

SO i know there low but why this is a fresh rebuilt motor......

#129 ·
500khms on motor before dyno

#130 · (Edited)
So im convinced my valves are fine because the compression numbers are the same across the board during compression test. Did not hear any hissing from the intake just getting passed the rings A BIT! <------during leakdown test.

So my cams definatly need to be degreed in i think or is their a trick i can do to see if i can get more compression? Thanks guys for all help !

#132 ·
Yes but will stock cams flow the air I need it to and I threw my set in the garbage :/ ....

#135 ·
I had a motor that would start and run, but was stumbling like it was low on power. First thing I did was compression, I was getting 90. Checked the timing and cog was off by 2. Your numbers are higher so yes I think it's your cams or your cog/cam timing is off a little.

Coop

#136 ·
Yah i gotta learn this...... So when you degree you just do the front bank as one then do the rear bank as the other?

#137 · (Edited)
Cams with a lot of overlap will lower compression numbers so don't compare your numbers to stock. (I'll have to check my records when I get home, but I believe your compression numbers are quite a bit lower then when I had BC280's which have approx 10* more duration at .050" lift than your cams.) What pistons and compression ratio are you running?

As I suspected though, your banks don't match. With the lowish numbers and big discrepancy front and rear, I would degree it properly instead of cheating it.

Edit: you degree cams one at a time to match the cam card.

Edit2: drive it to Indiana :) and I'll try degreeing without removing the engine. Just find someone or a shop that has degreed a DOHC engine (4g63, 2jz, whatever). It's all the same. You just have to do it twice on v6. Also, who built your engine? Couldn't they do this for you? Also, if regrinds, did they put the correct shims in? (Exh shims are different than the intake shims)

#138 ·
Ahhh ok so this is somewhat good news knowing that i still have powerhidden behind those gears.........

How would i cheat since degreeing is not a option? I am gunna try to degree the cams when i find a solid lifter and get to know it a bit better.

Hahahah i hate driving my car my suspension is way to stiff man.......Yah theres this one shop who will make me a cam card and degree in the cams but they want 1k and i cant afford that right now cause im on vacation for a month and dont have the pay cheques coming in hahahahahahahah.........

my Shortblock was done by nelson raceing in california theres no doubt they did a awsome job because they are known for 2000hp crate motors and a bunch more nice stuff. But you never know........

I might just drive the car like this for a bit if i cant figure out how to degree.....its still alot of fun........ just kinda depressing knowing theres hidden power! FML!

#139 ·
I was talking about the "cheat" I told you about by matching the compression front and rear. You would want to decrease the amount of overlap on the rear to match the front. IMO though, it should be done correctly since they are so far off and do not recommend the cheat.

You don't need a shop to "make you a cam card." You posted the numbers here and Matt confirmed it for you. Just have someone degree each cam to match the listed .050" opening crank degree and you are good.

That likely isn't going to magically pick up monster hp though.

#140 ·
I was talking about the "cheat" I told you about by matching the compression front and rear. You would want to decrease the amount of overlap on the rear to match the front. IMO though, it should be done correctly since they are so far off and do not recommend the cheat.
Oh i dont even know how to mess with the overlap to be honest...... So this explains why my numbers are so shitty.

#141 ·
How much of any would him doing his pulls in 4th differ from 3rd gear?

#143 ·
Come do it :)

#145 ·
Awe man...this sucks, after you put all that stuff on your car with that bad ass Nelson motor!!!

I really thought after changing set ups 3 or 4 times.. This thing would be in the 1k range... Well not really the 1k range but def more than high 500's.

Someone said once that it's not the size of the turbos or the big IC and not even all the boost people run.. It's a combination of having the right match of parts that makes powa

Sorry the numbers are so disappointing.. Hang in there man.. You will figure it out.. If not then I'm sure people will jump on a part out, especially with all those bad ass parts you got..:)

Glad u FINALLY got her up ..my GTX 3076 kit makes 656 on 93 and no meth at 20 lbs....:)

#149 ·
Hey man thanks don't forget your on a 3.5l..... I'm 3l and also you have newer wheels so you can't really compare your stats to mine. You'll always be 100hp atleast more on tq and hp. But if I got the same stuff with my parts who knows?

It's not really disappointing I kind of deserved it, someone with experience would've known this would happen it's just a learning curve to be honest.

But I didn't get to finish tuneing this benson my timing belt jumped on the dyno and I had to call it a day..... I will be running race gas and max these out with more timing and hopefully properly set timing so my
Numbers should jump drastically.

Btw my parts are freakin bad ass!!!! Like who runs 30lbs with 80c temps and no knock ;) just gotta find the power

#146 ·
He needs to degree his cams. It may or may not be contributing to his low compression across the board. The ignition timing was never synced in AEM. Also, he's only running about 12 degrees of timing to redline at 30 psi if that's even accurate since it isn't synced. There's definitely a good amount of power left on the table.

The right parts, tune, and knowledge working on it go a long ways but I think he'll get there. It's never quite as simple unless you write a big check to an expert shop. Then they sort through all the issues. Lol.

#147 ·
^ do we know the timing isn't synced?? If so, stop driving your car until you do this very simple, yet mandatory step in setting up a car with AEM.

#148 ·
Yah my timing isn't syncd I'm getting the cams degreed very shortly.... And I prolly will re dyno in 3-4 weeks from now.

#153 ·
Update :

Motor is getting degreed, and doing 3 top secret things that will drastically improve numbers lol........

For the 2 people that know shut your mouth until i spit the dyno sheet that will come shortly :)

The tuner will me MOI (me)!!!!! Just need to book to rent the dyno and finish a couple odds and ends.

#156 ·
Update :

Motor is getting degreed, and doing 3 top secret things that will drastically improve numbers lol.........
1. Take the banana out of the tailpipe.
2. Fix all boost leaks.
3. Install DR750's

LMFAO, I just couldn't resist.

Jeff

#155 ·
Nahh immma be like a chick who gives a guy blue balls!

#159 ·
No man doesn't work like that on aem. I will be syncing my timeing to the aem.

How it works is the aem has numbers in the ignition map so we don't know if those numbers are actually true or not. So when you sync it it will display proper numbers ie:

10 degrees displayed on my ignition map could be 15 degrees so if I retard 10 to 9 then I'd be retarding 15 to 14

So the timing map is sort of what my engines calling for but numbers aren't displaying right. But either way it's nice to know what my actual timing is so I can read proper data and do proper adjustments :)

So yes I'll be syncing time first thing ! But that's not part of the 3 major improvements :)

#160 ·
What?
Do this.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.