DR-750s 700 AWHP capable on pump gas? - Page 4 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #31 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 91 VR4
outreach is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Default Re: DR-750s 700 AWHP capable on pump gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eengler2 View Post
Open dumps do nothing when you are spooling. The wastegates are closed until you meet your boost target so there is nothing to dump. Correct, they won't hurt anything.

Why are you even worried about spool with DR750's on a 3.5???

This thread is weird.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Sorry I'm typing this stuff on my phone and is a pita I had actually just tried to edit that info in and accidentally pressed cancel while trying to scroll. Anyway I'm not overly worried about the spool of the DR750s on the 3.5L that's the reason I picked this setup to begin with. I believe it will net me the widest power band with the least lag I can get, which is the she goal for my car.

I don't think I have convayed that very well up till this point, the purpose of the thread was to ask if this was the best set up for that or if there were better setups for this purpose.

The open dumps will be on long before the engine/turbo combo goes in they are mainly for the 9bs I'm running now, just see no point in removing them later when they aren't going to hurt anything and will still have a cool factor when I'm not pushing the 30 psi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 02:03 AM   #32 (permalink)
The dark shall be with us

Drives: 93' VR4
Devilmightcry is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

i don't understand why people here believe the only way to have little turbo lag is small turbo with bigger engine. we are so damn behind. other platform run higher compression ratio to get rid of this issue. people run as high as 11:1 ratio to get good power band. not only that they make more power per psi because of that. if you can get E85 or pretty good pump with big methanol i would run 10:1 or higher to get rid of this issue . i bought my stroker with 9:1 ratio and when i look at other platforms, i sometimes wished i went with 10:1 ratio. AMS up their GTR's compression ratio from factory to get better tq and power band when they build the engines and the factory gtr already has 9.5:1 ratio.

this is what a 10:1 ratio on e85 does. the turbo is not even that big, but e85 and high compression ratio helped with good power and good spool. so little lag for a 900whp 3.0L engine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh9N4...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Devilmightcry; 01-03-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Devilmightcry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #33 (permalink)
Breaks everything

Drives: 1999 VR4
JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3
Feedback Score: 38 reviews

You make a very good point Gump that i guess I've never been very clear on when using the 3.0 v 3.5 comparison. Net HP will be the same, you're just gonna get it sooner. and maybe lose is on the back end quicker, kind of like big turbo setups do with our stock truck cam.

Jason

Silverstone Metallic 94 R2 FD - 2014 CCSB Ram 2500 Cummins/68FRE
Sold: Black 99 VR4 and two Pearl White 93 VR4's.
JasonY is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #34 (permalink)
Breaks everything

JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3

Also e85 isnt available anywhere readily but the midwest and other pockets of population. And thats also very likely going away now that its no longer subsidized by the govt.

Jason
Old 01-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #35 (permalink)
Forum Member

lobo2112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

keep in mind... he's in Canada. His "good gas" is probably more like 91.5 in terms of the way the U.S. regulates octane ratings. At leat thats what the local gas stations here (who's gas comes out of Canada, we literally live right on the border) are now required to list their "Super" gas as. (they used to advertise it as 93 as it was sold across the border... but it cost a few people their engines myself included... threats of lawsuits ensued) Also it sounds like he's at a pretty good elevation, and has a LOT of tight lowspeed turns. He's finding 9b's laggy based on where he is and the conditions he drives in. 9B's. When was the last time you heard or thought to yourself "man... I wish these stock turbos spooled faster..." Probably never. But that is the reason he's looking for faster spool. People seem to keep forgetting this. Telling him a dr-750 on a 3L will spool plenty fast enough, or focusing too heavily on the HP number isn't really going to help him.

To me, a summary of what he's looking for:
1) Stupid fast spool (to most of us anyways... I'm going to assume his engine/turbos are in good shape with no boost leaks and it truly is driving and environment where he lives as he stated early in the thread that are the cause of this need)
2) More power, 700 "goal" (because... well... who doesn't want more...)
3) Wide power band, starting very very low in the RPM range (see #1)
4) 1-3 accomplished on crappy Canadien gas (there IS a reason that Eric brought a can of crappy Canadien gas with him when he had Ray tune it the first time) and meth

I really do like everyone on this forum... there is a wealth of knowledge on this and the other site, and I've never seen a more helpful community but sometimes it seems like people lose track of the original intent of the thread and get to focused on 1 or 2 items or sentences or skim over important details like quality of available gas.
lobo2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #36 (permalink)
Breaks everything

That crappy canuck gas is better than our 93, Erics car couldn't even get into boost at ng10 on 93 w/o knocking like crazy.

Jason
Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #37 (permalink)
Forum Member

lobo2112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

hmmm... Thats info I didn't know... and checking the rating systems, petro canada "ultra 94" for is 94 (R+M/2). So that would support what you're saying.

I do know however that the gas they were trucking across the border and selling as 93 here actually only tested at 91-ish (R+M/2). Wouldn't be the first time someone's done something shady with the gas here though so maybe I shouldn't lay blame on all Canadien gas.

I recind my comment about doing it on crappy gas until the OP gives us more info on whats available to him.
lobo2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #38 (permalink)
thuanvinhny

Drives: 93 RT TT (Gorgeous)
thuanvinhny is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

sometime i wish JasonY was closer to me :-D . Anyways, I have seen many people talking about how much they can get out of a set up. It always involves Meth.

I hate Meth for a reason (Jason stated)

Also, Jason has been through many tubors on his own. I would take his words on the pump gas. I too did many researches about turbos systems and so I never seen any TD04 which broke 600 AWHP with Pure Pump gas.
thuanvinhny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #39 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: GTO
pimprn Negative 2
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

I wish we had e85 here in canada! All well theyre talking about it but they dont want to use food as a fuel source! pffft who eats corn anywayz!
pimprn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #40 (permalink)
thuanvinhny

Drives: 93 RT TT (Gorgeous)
thuanvinhny is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimprn View Post
I wish we had e85 here in canada! All well theyre talking about it but they dont want to use food as a fuel source! pffft who eats corn anywayz!
LOL...It is in more food than you think. Just talk about Corn Syrup for example. . . Corn Oil ? ETC..
thuanvinhny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.