DR-750s 700 AWHP capable on pump gas? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 91 VR4
outreach is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Default DR-750s 700 AWHP capable on pump gas?

Now that I'm finally getting around to finishing all the maintenance stuff on this car I'm slowly starting to get into my build and want to know if Iím going in the right direction. plans for the build is dr750s, dr stage 3 heads/ street cams and since I currently have a 2 bolt block and have to switch it up anyway rays 3.5L stroker.
I will be running meth and 94/93 pump gas and tuning it all on an AEM.

I know a lot of people have said the TD04's will choke off the 3.5 and that I can probably reach the HP goals a lot easier on bigger turbos etc etc. but thatís not what I want out of this car.

I will be building this car over the next 2-3 years ish to drive in the summers and on the track. I live in an area were DD'ing my car means hairpin turns, single lane traffic with short tiny passing lanes and 3000+ft elevation changes, where laggy cars just aren't that much fun. This is why I decided to see how far I would be able to take the TD04's

I guess Iím mostly looking for some guidance from matt and ray and others who have experience with the 750's to see if this is the right path to take to draw the most out of these turbo's

Thank You in advance for any help you guys can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 05:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Twin Turbo

Drives: 1990 GTO TT
GTOJOE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

No. There are quite a few guys hitting 600awhp with dr750s but either running with method or e85. Even with cams and heads and an extra 500cc I doubt you will get the extra 100hp even with better fuel. With straight pump i say no way. I hope I'm wrong cus it would be awesome. Hopefully ray can chime in.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using AutoGuide App
1990 JDM GTO TT with Vi-PEC plug-in V44 EMS, TD04-13T's, 3SX Downpipe, MP Hi-flow cat, ARC SMIC's, Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH pump, Fuelab 515 FPR, Ninja Performance 75amp hotwire kit, oohnoo fuel loop & rail adapters, Nylon braided ethanol fuel line, NGK AFX Wideband, K&N FIPK, Iridium plugs, Turbo XS racing BOV, 3SX poly mounts, Custom 280km/h speedo.

Waiting install
Injector Dynamics 725cc, HKS Twin Spark DLI.

Helpful stuff
How to convert a JDM 180km/h speedo to 280km/h

Understanding MAF part numbers and compatibility
GTOJOE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
DR750 Club

Drives: 1992 Dodge Stealth
JayWilRTTT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Default Re: DR-750s 700 AWHP capable on pump gas?

I assume your talking about pump gas and meth?. Its been my experience that with dr750s on 93/meth that 24-25psi is max boost you could get away without getting into knock. I dont personally run 25psi unless I've got a little race gas mixed in just because I want my motor to last. I guess what you need is to ride in a dr750 car at 25 psi and see that it is probably more than enough power for your streetcar.
DR750's w/Forge wastegates 15psi, 2.5inch custom intake pipes, GC Tech Industries front tubular manifold and rear manifold, Forge BOV blue spring, Blitz EBC DC, Blitz turbo timer, HKS DLI, hot-wired Walbro 400, Snow performance Boost Cooler 2 with 2x 375ml/min nozzles and 1x 100ml/min before the IC, HKS sidemount IC's, FIC 650cc injectors, ARC2 with 92mm MAF, Scanmaster 3, Kenne Bell boost-a-pump, NGK 5671A-7 copper plugs .028", DN performance precat eliminators, ATR downpipe, Stock Catback with active exhaust,-6AN fuel line with dual feed Pampena fuel rails, Aeromotive FPR, Innovate Motorsports wideband O2 sensor, SPEC 4+ clutch, stock 4-bolt motor
JayWilRTTT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

lobo2112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
outreach:
I will be running meth and 94/93 pump gas and tuning it all on an AEM.
Since people seem to be missing this so far.
lobo2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: VR4
mb3000 Level 1mb3000 Level 1mb3000 Level 1
Feedback Score: 45 reviews

The highest HP DR750 cars are all stock stroke 6G72. There is a reason for that.

Never thought I would see the day when a billet, Ti-Al, TD04 was considered laggy.
mb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
DR750 Club

Drives: 1992 Dodge Stealth
JayWilRTTT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo2112 View Post
Since people seem to be missing this so far.
My bad. I'm used to skim reading.
JayWilRTTT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Breaks everything

Drives: 1999 VR4
JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3JasonY Level 3
Feedback Score: 38 reviews

I'll be building a friends 3.5L DR750 car in a few months, so i will have some real world info/results for you. There will be a thread about it of course when the build actually starts.

Wont be anywhere near 700awhp we dont think, but like you the owner cares little for big top end freeway pulls and likes the big block V8 engine feel. So the 3.5L with the 750's is as good as thats gonna get.

Also the benefit of the 3.5L is the crank is strong enough to run years at 600+ wheel torque where the stocker is questionable long term at that power output.

We kinda figure the car will be a around 6-650 wheel torque and around mid 500's hp at the wheels on 93. Not messing with meth anymore since getting greedy with it cost 4 DR750's and 2 engines. Race gas = cheaper than the potential foul up with meth.

Now if you want to run meth and are okay with the risk, its damn near another 100hp on pump for 450 bucks. So...its awesome in that regard.

Jason

Silverstone Metallic 94 R2 FD - 2014 CCSB Ram 2500 Cummins/68FRE
Sold: Black 99 VR4 and two Pearl White 93 VR4's.

Last edited by JasonY; 01-02-2013 at 08:29 AM.
JasonY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 96 RT TT/97 VR-4
guido1205us is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 30 reviews

Can't wait to see how that car turns out. It was a bummer to read up on the outcome of that build and made me rethink meth.

I would have guessed that DR650 or Billet 19t would do the same @ 15 - 20lbs - just that the DR750 would spool faster with more room for higher HP.

I always thought 500awhp on 93 with minimal mods around 15 - 20lbs is the sweet spot for our cars with repect to cost/reliability/performance.

For a 3.5L I've always read that the likes of a Billet TD05 is a perfect match for both spool and top end.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
SPEED FREAK

Drives: 94' vr4
motomaniac06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

if you do some searching snakeskinner ran dr750s with a 3.5 then shortly after went to a 3.0 and if I recall I belive he picked up some more power with the 3.0
motomaniac06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Drunk as a lord

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2
Feedback Score: 103 reviews

When my motor goes south I'm going with a 3.5 as well. You may as well go 6G74 if you are going to build anything IMO. It isn't hard to fit the stock manifolds to one anyway and if it ever blows up it is cheaper to fix than the crankwork necessary to fit the 3.0 block.

matt's stroker was a beast with the DR750s, if you read his old dyno posts you can see it is not a mis-match at all. Like any reasonably sized turbos you aren't going to have any power in the 2000-2500 range and the extra displacement is going to make this area feel a lot better.

It is really nothing you even notice unless you are saying lugging in 2nd gear at a point where it seems stupid to downshift to 1st. That's the only reason I want the bigger engine really.

Pampena 3.5 Stroker, TiAL DR750s, ETS FMIC, FIC 1050s, Walbro 416/485, E85, Chrome ECU, 85mm MAF, Dejon intake pipes, Tial QR, DN Precats, Tanabe Medallion Touring, 3sx Single Pass Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptechs,, Tein S-Techs, Bilstein HDs, Southbend FE Clutch, 300M O/S, Billet T-Case, 5 Speed Trans
Forest Gump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.