Catch Can INSTALLATION. The Final Debate. - Page 10 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #91 (permalink)
ATOLDASO

Drives: 91 Stealth TT
Hard AttacK is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Default Re: Catch Can INSTALLATION. The Final Debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam7 View Post
Mikey, you could put the breather filter on the rear as Ray and others said and put your Catch can(since you already have one) inline the pcv hose, and have best of both worlds, Zero blowby entering your engine.

I still stand by adding a can inline the pcv hose. Alot of blowby comes out of the pcv valve to the lower intake, making its way to the combustion chamber. Thats just as important to me.
Here's what im eventually doing to my bpu car and for my blow thru im doing one in line with the pcv valve and one on the rear valve cover with a breather.

NBF
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatecrasher
DSM owner = king of how fast can i go for $26.
91tt-money bitch
92tt-daily bitch
Hard AttacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #92 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 1997 3000gt vr4
vr4tune is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyVR4 View Post
Damn this is a mess.

I got a email from Ray P. saying to just add a breather to the RVC and leave the rest alone. I will have to re-read this thread again. I was busy over the weekend putting my car back together and forgot about this problem.
That's all I did! No catch can just a filter instead of intake bubble.

Ported heads, IPS 2mm oversized valves, Delta 264/272 cams, BC cam gears,
Merkel 6g72 3.5L BILLET crank stroker (going in this soon),
IPS EvoIII turbo kit, HKS SSQV bov, ETS black anodized FMIC, AEM intake filters, Tanabe Turbo Back Concept G Blue Exhaust,
HKS DLI, Ultra spark plug wires, Denso iridium IK24 spark plugs,
JSPEC trans, Ultimate Performance short throw shifter, Spec carbon twin disk clutch, PST aluminum 2 piece drive shaft,
Walbro E85 400 fuel pump, RC 750cc fuel injectors, AEM wideband & boost gauge, AEM EMS series 2 in speed density,
3sx poly motor mounts, DBA 4000 drilled & slotted rotors, Enkei PF01 18x9 +45, BFGoodrich g-froce KDW 245/40/R18.

Last edited by vr4tune; 01-29-2013 at 01:07 PM.
vr4tune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #93 (permalink)
Ninja Performance

Drives: Vicki Insane
Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4Import Power Level 4
Feedback Score: 223 reviews

Here is my new catch can

-Chris

91VR4-3.0L-Stock heads and Cams-835AWHP 747AWTQ Daily Driver 10.31@142mph on street tires
SLTT-10.9 @ 142MPH Stock NA engine and NA heads/Cams

T4 AWD 9.21 @ 154.98 (Chris Hill Driver/Builder/Tuner Car Owned by 3SX)
T2 FWD 10.19 @ 140.31 (Chris Hill Driver/Builder/Tuner Car Owned by 3SX)
T4-159.23 MPH Ran on 6G72 3.1L! (Chris Hill Driver/Builder/Tuner Car Owned by 3SX)
T4-995AWHP Uncorrected 6G72 3.0L C16 (Chris Hill Driver/Builder/Tuner Car Owned by 3SX)
T2-820FWHP 3.1L 27psi C16 (Chris Hill Driver/Builder/Tuner Car Owned by 3SX)

3000GT/Stealth Drag and Dyno Database
Import Power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #94 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: VR4
mb3000 Level 1mb3000 Level 1mb3000 Level 1
Feedback Score: 45 reviews

Nice thread. A lot of various ideas, as well as applications.

Here's my take:
Stock PCV system has two vacuum sources, both of which are used during idle and other instances already described in this thread.

During idle:
-The intake bubble pulls air out of the rear valve cover, and the lower intake manifold pulls air out of the front valve cover. Drivers side fittings connect the two, and provide possible vacuum equalization.

During boost:Intake bubble continues to pull air out of the rear valve cover. PCV valve closes, to prevent positive air pressure from entering. Air must now travel along the DS tube, in order to evacuate from the front valve cover.

Popular catch can locations for lightly modified vehicles seems to be after the rear valve cover, where all air will be leaving the ventilation system during boost. Some seem to experience problems relieving pressure, and vent to atmosphere via filter or external dump.

IMO for a lightly modified (daily driver) car it would make sense to run two catch cans, in between each PS valve cover, then to each respective turbocharger intake piping tract. This system would cap off the lower intake manifold connection entirely. This would allow the same amount of air to enter the engine at idle (those who argue the PCV valve regulates the correct amount of air could even leave it in place). Pressure would still be equalized via the DS connection.
The main benefit would be 2x the ventilation capabilities vs. the single vent from the rear valve cover, and also clean(er) air being recirculated into the intake via the catch can (vs no catch can). Possibly allowing cars that were forced to run without vacuum at idle due to venting issues, can now have vacuum at idle and still vent a satisfactory amount of pressure.

Cars like Chris' are on a whole different level!

Please excuse my high resolution picture, artistic paint drawings, etc...
mb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #95 (permalink)
Pay it forward

Drives: With Both Hands
Adam7 Level 1Adam7 Level 1
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb3000 View Post
Nice thread. A lot of various ideas, as well as applications.

Here's my take:
Stock PCV system has two vacuum sources, both of which are used during idle and other instances already described in this thread.

During idle:
-The intake bubble pulls air out of the rear valve cover, and the lower intake manifold pulls air out of the front valve cover. Drivers side fittings connect the two, and provide possible vacuum equalization.

During boost:Intake bubble continues to pull air out of the rear valve cover. PCV valve closes, to prevent positive air pressure from entering. Air must now travel along the DS tube, in order to evacuate from the front valve cover.

Popular catch can locations for lightly modified vehicles seems to be after the rear valve cover, where all air will be leaving the ventilation system during boost. Some seem to experience problems relieving pressure, and vent to atmosphere via filter or external dump.

IMO for a lightly modified (daily driver) car it would make sense to run two catch cans, in between each PS valve cover, then to each respective turbocharger intake piping tract. This system would cap off the lower intake manifold connection entirely. This would allow the same amount of air to enter the engine at idle (those who argue the PCV valve regulates the correct amount of air could even leave it in place). Pressure would still be equalized via the DS connection.
The main benefit would be 2x the ventilation capabilities vs. the single vent from the rear valve cover, and also clean(er) air being recirculated into the intake via the catch can (vs no catch can). Possibly allowing cars that were forced to run without vacuum at idle due to venting issues, can now have vacuum at idle and still vent a satisfactory amount of pressure.

Cars like Chris' are on a whole different level!

Please excuse my high resolution picture, artistic paint drawings, etc...

I like it, but I have a question. On the pcv side where your running the hose to the intake rather then the lower manifold, would that change anything being that the connection is made before the throttle body rather than after? Would the pcv still function as it should with proper vacuum?
1998 3000GT SL: TT Conversion w/Chrome V2 ECU @13psi. IPS downpipe, Racepipe, Borla catback, Catless, polished Ypipe, Injen filter, Kurama intercooler hose's, 3sx fuel loop, Stm filter to rail, Hotwired fuel pump, Greddy+Mishimotto catch cans, Hallman pro MBC, Msd 8.5wires, FMOC, EVO9 BOV, 18x9 Saleens w/Nitto's, Powerslot rotors, Hawk pads, 5k Hid's,Marqui window tint, Tenzo racing seats, Weight reduction(289lbs),Gasket matched TB/upper/lower plenum,Polished exhaust manifold, Hdr front lip,UP rear strut bar,JDM Tails,Autometer sport comp gauges(center vent & pod) AEM WBO2
Adam7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #96 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: VR4
mb3000 Level 1mb3000 Level 1mb3000 Level 1
Feedback Score: 45 reviews

That's a good question. IMO if many recommend keeping the rear VC connected to the bubble for VSS sealing at idle, it seems logical to me that moving the PCV connection to the intake piping would be sufficient.

Obviously you're going to make sure that your intercooler/intake system is a leak-free as possible, as the efficiency of this system will go down as vac leaks go up.
mb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #97 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1995 RT NA, 94 TT,GP
sensational980 Negative 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Can someone tell me if this works.

Heres my setup here in pic. I put the krank vent on front from pcv.

Then installed Catch can on rear to open breather.

Is that right or should I be doing something else?

I have the bubble still and plugged the holes. I have dejon preturbo pipes and will be using them as soon as my couplers come. They do not have the port like the bubble does.
Attached Thumbnails
Catch Can INSTALLATION. The Final Debate.-20130425_203732.jpg  
sensational980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #98 (permalink)
Drunk as a lord

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2
Feedback Score: 102 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensational980 View Post
Can someone tell me if this works.

Heres my setup here in pic. I put the krank vent on front from pcv.

Then installed Catch can on rear to open breather.

Is that right or should I be doing something else?

I have the bubble still and plugged the holes. I have dejon preturbo pipes and will be using them as soon as my couplers come. They do not have the port like the bubble does.
That will work, but I have a few comments.

1)I have found those specific 90 degree fittings on that catch can to be restrictive. Replace them with straight barb fittings (you can get them at a hardware store) 1/8" npt to 3/8" barb IIRC

2)You can vent that, it will cause a small amount of air to be drawn in that is unmetered if you are draw through, but since you are blow through it should be okay. Either way it isn't something you can't tune around.
Forest Gump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #99 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1995 RT NA, 94 TT,GP
sensational980 Negative 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

So as far as the valve stem sealing I take it this is not an issue? Also this 2nd bigger krank vent I just leave off correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Gump View Post
That will work, but I have a few comments.

1)I have found those specific 90 degree fittings on that catch can to be restrictive. Replace them with straight barb fittings (you can get them at a hardware store) 1/8" npt to 3/8" barb IIRC

2)You can vent that, it will cause a small amount of air to be drawn in that is unmetered if you are draw through, but since you are blow through it should be okay. Either way it isn't something you can't tune around.
sensational980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #100 (permalink)
Drunk as a lord

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2Forest Gump Level 2
Feedback Score: 102 reviews

Having the rear line vented will not remove the vacuum caused by the pcv valve. I ran that way for a bit and had no issues.

Yes, I would leave the big krank vent off.
Forest Gump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.