Biss leak - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1997 3000gt vr4
drobvr4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Biss leak

So i took the car out for a quick spin and when ever my car began to hit boost it would make a fluctuating choo choo sound from the BOV. I opened the hood and heard a large leak by the throttle body right by the BISS screw. My question is when people say their BISS screw is leaking do they mean air in coming out from that exact location;the screw. This leak comes from the side right next to the screw location, however if i tighten the screw the leak almost goes completely away. The car idles fine, but i haven't been able to take the car out again. I plan on going to Home depot today and chang out the 0-ring. It just seems strange that a bad BISS o ring would affect the boost this much yet the car idles completely fine.
drobvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
^^My name is April^^

Drives: Spyder VR4, SRT8
dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2dbest671 Level 2
Feedback Score: 87 reviews
Default Re: Biss leak

You need to do a pressure test as well... chances are your TB shaft seals are shot. And yes, the o-ring becomes rock hard where it doesn't seal within the port. When you tighten it all the way down, you are actually blocking the opening with the screw itself.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Well i removed the TB and found the gasket to be on wrong and fixed that. That leak went away. I also tightened all the IC pipes,and switched out/greased the O-ring on the rear turbo. I still have the strange hooting/choo choo noise. If i go WOT i don't hear it, but if i add partial throttle it fluctuates, getting higher in pitch as rpms and boost builds. Also when the BOV does goes off it sounds alot more high pitched and audible than it did before. I plan on pressure testing as soon as i get home to my compressor. but that wont be until Wednesday.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Duper Mod

Drives: deals
lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3
Feedback Score: 100 reviews

Is your BOV stock? That's usually what bad stock BOVs sound like.
Originally Posted by ray pampena View Post
Cant we all just smile and get along?
No!
lawdogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 97 vr4
andronitrate is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

just install FMIC by chance?
Old 11-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

i have an evo 9 BOV and have had alamo SMIC. I actually just had 15g's put on the car by a reputible shop, but they were having issues tunning with the flashed ECU. Basically the front bank was adding fuel while the rear bank was removing fuel. They put in the stock injectors and ECU and told me to break in the clutch then bring it back to tune once i got 400mi on her. I think i may know what the problem is though. I bought those upgades wastegates from Drweldin, and i dont think they were tuned to release at the same time. The turbos are probably 'fighting' each other under partial throttle, and im going to assume this would also affect the strange fuel readings.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Well now that im home i was able to pressure test the car. The only leak is comming from the passenger side. I have checked all the connections on the alamo hardpipes, but cant get rid of the leak. i even used the soapy water method and cant find it. The only other thong in that are is the clutch vacuum tank, but i doubt thats whats caousing my problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.