Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Billet DR650 BUILD FINALLY! ANOTHER 10s 1/4?

45K views 349 replies 55 participants last post by  Import Power 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally dove into ripping car apart and almost half way done! If I would not have Painted at home(turned out nice - Try the Duplicolor folks if you want do it at home and dont believe the reviews just wetsand and buff! It Shines )

Got front Turbo in and now on to the rear.

Then gonna do timing and water pump and front struts and should be good to go!

Hoping to have done Sunday with work in between and at the track for a test run! Before 4th Of July!

1994 Stealth TT 220,358 miles (I acquired car from someone else so not sure if its original motor but it appears so)
Mods:

Billet DR650s Ported -Starting Boost at Wastegate Pressure 15PSI
Dejon Blow Through 3.5- Single Cone Filter
Oohnoo FMIC
3sx DownPipe
Custom Exhaust
Solid Mounts
Hallman Pro MBC
Aeromotive 340 Fuel Pump / Hotwire Kit
Honda style FPR
SAFC II
Delphi 550cc Injectors
3SX MSD Wires
Megan Coilovers
Spec Stage 2 Plus Clutch
Bell Housing Brace
Everything else stock I think

Will it work? We will see. Pics and time slips coming! Using Pump 93 Octane for now and will go E-85 eventually or Meth!

Attachments

See less See more
#116 ·
Wish you would race something decently fast so we could gauge where your car is at power wise! lol

#117 ·
I would love too also but as far as I can see its like now none of the cars that would pull up to me when i was in my NA are pulling up now! BUt Hopefully track times will be in this week. I have 2-3 chances as long as rain does not come in to get there without them having a big event.

#121 ·
Still have not made it back to the track. Planning for Tuesday weather Permitting.

July 31 Tuesday Open Test n Tune 5pm-10pm

Besides that made it back to the UG spot today and its like double what it was 3 weeks ago in people count and cars. Amazing how many people and of all ages are into this street racing. Nice GTR there not sure on year Im guessing 2010. He didnt wanna race though. Everybody keep trying to get him to line up with me. They would call it out hey its a fair race you two are both AWD. Yeah except he's all computer! Cant wait to go get my tune from RAY. Also some Evo's and Honda's there but they all said no after they seen me launch on the TransAM. THey all had mods but said I would beat them. I GUESS!

So I took on a TransAM, he said he had some mods did not specify and a Mustang. Got the Trans by a long shot once I got moving.

Not gonna make up excuses but I am Lol - I went for 2nd gear against the 5.0 and it would just grind or nothing. I think my 2nd Gear is bad or my linkage is worn to hell. It shifts fine with normal driving but the instant I hit it hard and fast I get jammed! So I had to just go into 3rd and as you can see he was way head anyhow from the line.

ANYHOW I will admit at the boost I was running the 5.0 had me all day I think. He was fast! I was also still building boost before I even noticed the guy drop his arms so I blame my loss on that Lol(J/k)

Looks like I am gonna need the Meth Kit or to go E-85 as Knock above 16PSI is my enemy.

Enjoy the video's folks! Times are coming soon (hopefully before my 2nd gear is shot!) Gonna try so new tranny fluid.

#122 · (Edited)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RBb15l94eKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G34cVdcJWco" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RkrY4HJGOnY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/41d8soOaEYA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vDcAjnRC3xI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c5se5nO3ipk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#123 ·
Your videos are set to private, cant watch them

#125 ·
Maybe the pics didn't do your car justice, it looks awesome in the vids!

Looks like it's running good! Be safe! Those standing Darwin examples on both sides of the road could spell jail time if anything goes wrong!

#126 ·
Thanks. Yeah I really I like to watch more than put my car out there. About to upload an example of why in just a min. Today the cops actually rolled through an hour after we got there. Everyone scattered and some stood around but then it was pretty much over. SHUT DOWN. Funny thing is I hear they come through every weekend and shut it down but not right away. I wonder how many of those out there racing are cops! Lol

Guys were bringing old schools in on trailers to race so its not like they dont know. They know!

#127 · (Edited)
Updates: Last time ran car busted the trans, end of July Beginning of August. Finally got trans pulled and found what broke. Looks like shift fork.
So Ordered reman from Ray and just have to order a new clutch tomorrow and get brace installed. Meth kit is on its way. ETA for the track visit and finally a time hopefully in the 10s (10.99) cool for me but low 11s is what I'm expecting till I get street tune good!

Just keeping the hype thread going for those who don't believe this is going anywhere!

Attachments

#128 ·
Updates: Last time ran car busted the trans end of July Beginning of August. Finally got trans pulled and found what broke. Looks like shift fork.
So Ordered reman from Ray and just have to order a new clutch tomorrow and get brace installed. Meth kit is on its way. ETA for he track visit and finally a time hopefully in the 10s (10.99) cool for me but low 11s is what I'm expecting till I get street tune good!

Just keeping the hype thread going for those who don't believe this is going anywhere!
"Just keeping the hype thread going for those who don't believe this is going anywhere!" :rock:

#135 ·
15 psi, 550cc injectors and pump gas? That's not going to get you anywhere near the 10's. Add methanol and some boost? Maybe* dip into the 11's. E-85? Not anywhere near enough injector for that to make much difference.

Good luck, but I'm just not seeing enough under the hood to make it a 10-second car. At least get yourself a nice race fuel tune and run some C16 and crank the boost up as far as your injectors will let you to give the car a fighting chance.

#138 ·
I just got my car running with them last night after about 60 hours of working on it last week mostly doing preventative maintenance so my car is more solid now. The previous owners didn't take care of it like they should have.

I really love them so far. Last night I hit 23 psi with them 0 knock. :D Compared to the 368s on the car the Devastators have more torque down low. I can definitely hear them spooling better. Boost seems to come on slightly earlier but I think full boost is around the same. I will have to datalog to compare numbers. Up top the car seems to pull harder than before or at least a few of my friends said so that rode with me before I swapped turbos. It's hard for me to tell the difference between 30-50AWHP I guess because it feels close to the same to me. I was just happy to get the car running after running through so many issues. We got rained out Friday at the track but I wasn't even close to having my car done like I wanted anyways.

I put a set of stock wastegates in with upgraded internal springs and I think that definitely helped. My stock wastegates would crack open at 6 psi and fully open at 12. These upgraded springs crack open at 13 psi and fully open about 20. I didn't check what wastegate psi was with my LCD BC turned off but I've been told one other member had 12-13 psi with these upgraded springs. Holding the wastegates shut longer definitely helps spool and power though. I wish I would have done it sooner especially with such an inexpensive option. Getting up to 60 in this car is extremely quick now. :D I need to schedule a dyno visit this month.

#141 ·
Now just waiting on my RPS 6 Puck and gotta get 1000cc injectors or meth kit ( still undecided). After that 10.99s Here I come!
You had mentioned E85 a ways back, if I remember right. If you plan on running that then the injectors would be of more value than a meth kit. Even 1000cc you might find to be on the small side with E85 if you really want to pump up the boost. I had looked at 1600cc as about the right sizing for an all-out E85 car, but there seem to have been problems with that size in the Denso injectors so I bumped up to the Injector Dynamics 2000 (2250cc really) injectors.

Something to consider, anyways. If you stick with pump gas then the meth kit is probably of more value than bigger injectors. If you go with race fuel (C16/Q16) then the 1000cc injector is probably in the right range.

Either way with injectors bigger than 650 or so you are going to run into issues using a S-AFC if that's what you still have. Might be able to get away with 1000cc on E85 only, but pump gas there's not going to be enough correction available in the S-AFC and timing advance would be through the roof anyways.

#140 ·
Damn that's pretty.

#142 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info.

Well I got the 1000cc from 3SI threads for use on E-85 and what others have used that works. After checking out others reviews on Meth Vs E-85 it seems as though E-85 have cooler temp effects on Engine, Cleans and produces more power. Only Drawback is it burns more.

http://www.3si.org/forum/f1/ultimate-me-3s-build-dynoed-my-car-541581/
http://www.3si.org/forum/f1/brought-my-car-back-dead-new-dr700-setup-518617/

Ray and WidowMaker have both accomplished successful setups with 1000cc injectors Delphi so thats what Im gonna try out. Don't plan on shooting pass 550AWHP unless the car seems to be wanting to go higher with ease.

I have the AFC 2/Maf-T Gen 1 combo setup right now on 550cc Delphi and it works like a champ. Street tuned and no problems. Just can't up boost past the 16psi without knock.

Gonna get those 1000cc injectors and Walbro 400 and install my ITC for timing when switching back to Pump 93.

Hopefully it works out well.

=mjannusch;6473195]You had mentioned E85 a ways back, if I remember right. If you plan on running that then the injectors would be of more value than a meth kit. Even 1000cc you might find to be on the small side with E85 if you really want to pump up the boost. I had looked at 1600cc as about the right sizing for an all-out E85 car, but there seem to have been problems with that size in the Denso injectors so I bumped up to the Injector Dynamics 2000 (2250cc really) injectors.

Something to consider, anyways. If you stick with pump gas then the meth kit is probably of more value than bigger injectors. If you go with race fuel (C16/Q16) then the 1000cc injector is probably in the right range.

Either way with injectors bigger than 650 or so you are going to run into issues using a S-AFC if that's what you still have. Might be able to get away with 1000cc on E85 only, but pump gas there's not going to be enough correction available in the S-AFC and timing advance would be through the roof anyways.

#144 ·
Ive got about 10-15 miles on my DR650 car, just tuning right now bu

t man talk about worth it!!!

#148 · (Edited)
So last fall when I burned up transmission 2nd gear was shot and then could not get in any gear. Pulled trans and found shift fork broken. Decided to pull engine and and got all refreshed, yes no more VSS smoking I hope!

As of now engine hanging from hoist waiting for me to have time to install. Gonna be tackling this week coming up seeing as how Im off work.

Was trying to sell my Billet DR650s and upgrade to the 750s. But no bites on them so Im gonna stick them back in and run with them!

New upgrades coming is SNOW Stage 2 Meth Kit and HKS ignition!

Track opens up in 63 days. Weather permitting, 2 new tires, tuned car, and break in of my RPS Clutch and I plan on being very low 11s or high 10s come opening day or day after track opens.

Lets see if I can knock the hype out and make this happen this time.

Predictions : 10.99-11.4

I say when I leave track 11.2 something or lower.

Attachments

#157 ·
#151 ·
I liked 8's for heat range and after Trevor's review of the non projected race plug I decided to give them a try. .030" worked fine for me north of your power goal so that should be a good starting point for you. Good luck!

Jeff

#150 ·
whoa... sometimes I get a good feeling, I get a feeling that I'd never ever known...

it's what you should be singing, nice car, keep it running, I'd have gone td05 myself but I can see it is a strong performer for you on td04

I predict 11.2 - 11.8

#156 ·
I currently run 0.028" gap with NGK non-projected plugs on ethanol with the HKS DLI up to 30 psi. Before with the same gap I was able to get up to 24 psi without the DLI on a brand new OEM ignition system. The previous cars I've ran a HKS DLI on 0.028" gap also up to 28 psi. You can probably go a little bigger if you wanted. I merely went back to that since it worked for me fine before.

I hope you plan to run at least 24 psi at the track not for the sake of your motor but for your predicted times because you'll need it. With good traction and probably powershifting a 10.9 would be there. Things hardly go as planned so you may need a few extra psi to break into the 10s. I hope that your motor handles spraying that much meth ok.

#159 ·
Yepthats been my biggest problem nothing going as planned when Im ready for it to happen.

Why would the motor not handle the meth at that psi or that much 24psi vs me running race gas or E-85?

I have 550 injectors with 93 pump gas. Also gonna install this SITI for timing that I have.

I plan to run the car hopefully at track no meth and see where it stands then add meth and see what it can do.

Before I upgraded from my 9bs I was at 13s flat. And the car was half a$$ then. Motor mounts were bad exhaust was stock suspension shot and so on.

Got open exhaust now, solid mounts, brace in new coilovers and gonna get 2 new tires as the car came with 2 bad ones on stock rims and I was running with 20s last summer. Only gonna run with stocks at track.

#158 ·
The NGK non projected are great for Ethanol. I run the 8's, NGK R5671A-8.

I gap to 26 with the HKS twin power and 36psi on twin 5027's Runs great.

-Chris

#161 ·
NGK non projected don't start until 8
NGK R5671A-8

-Chris

#169 ·
When Todd and JasonY blew up Todd's DR750 stock long block motor JasonY said there was no knock detected. Our knock sensors cannot handle having too much methanol or ethanol. Same thing applies to e85 and why we can't see knock untill it's too late. Then our ears become knock sensors and our wallet detonates.

#170 ·
I plan to use the Chris Hill method (IIRC) if I ever go E85. Turn it up until it stops making more torque, then turn it down a lil.

#174 ·
One man team, Getting it done late night. Ready to drop in and start bolting back up.

I wonder how many bolts I will have left over seeing as how this is my first timing pulling and rebuilding an engine.

Gotta learn somehow!:qgiggity:

Attachments

#175 · (Edited)
You should not have any if you take detailed photos for the WHOLE process, bag and tag the nuts and bolts (I like to sequence them with numbers in the order I took it apart), and if there are different length bolts on the same part, take photos or make notes. Note which idler pulley goes where. It is easy to mix them up. Tag all the electrical connections and don't forget to follow the torque specifications in the manual. No sealer except on the pan (no gasket) and on the camel humps of the valve covers. Get a tap set and make sure all the bolt holes are clean. Will save you a lot of grief later and insure proper torque readings. Use new bolts on the turbos and a stainless steel gasket(s) is recommended. Use distilled water when you go to fill the radiator. It prevents clogging of the cooling system. Do not use any power tools to clean mating surfaces or gaskets. A razor blade is all you need. Clean the big stuff with the blade as close to horizontal (I use an inexpensive inspection sticker removal tool) to the surface as possible. Clean the small stuff with the blade perpendicular to the surface. Use dielectric grease on all the electrical connections including both ends of the spark plug wires. Use anti-sieze on all the exhaust bolts\nuts. Use OEM gaskets. Check all hoses\vacuum lies for cracks\dry rot. Especially the fuel lines, heater hoses, and throttle body cooling lines. And for gods sake, now is the time to fix any leaks in your power steering. Replace all the o rings and\or crush seals.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.