bad wastegates limiting boost? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2005, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1997 3000gt VR4
smoke is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default bad wastegates limiting boost?

My car went to the dyno today with a newly installed menthanol kit from snow. The car was surging on the dyno (not bucking or missing), and we thought there was too much methanol. Also, turning the set up on the bc to 100 gave me only about 18 psi, with dr500s (I normally get 17psi with a 70 set). So, turned the methanol off and gave it a semi-run, still surging at higher boost levels (18)but not at 16-17 psi. Also the ic pipes were pretty hot which makes me wonder if the turbos arent being worked to death. Would wastegates cause this surging and prevent me from making more that 18psi? Or is this a turbo problem? I had never noticed this before because I never tried to run more than 18psi.

DR500's, Denso Fuel Pump (Hotwired), DN Y-Pipe, RPS MAX street disk, RC 550s, NGK copper (stage 9), Z06 MAF/MAF-T, Blitz sbc-id, Apexi SAFC II, ATR downpipe, ATR test pipe, ATR catback (dual), gutted precats, K&N monster filter, HKS ssbov, DynoJet Wideband, HKS Intercoolers, HKS Intercooler piping, Snow Performance Alcohol, PST 1Piece CFDS, Intrax springs, rear control arms, xenon lights, indiglo gauges, racing pedals, 20% tint, clear corners, custom grille, polished plug cover, boost and egt gauges
smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2005, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
93V
VR4-less

Drives: 94 Supra
93V is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Default Re: bad wastegates limiting boost?

i dont think that the wastegates would affect that...maybe your boost controller is screwed up

also...arent DR500s good for about that boost level to redline anyway? maybe the change in fuel has something to do with cleaner combustion/better volumetric flow characteristics and the turbos cant keep up as well

not sure, those are just random thoughts
93V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2005, 04:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 99VR4 & 99SL
Quick Vr4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

yes wastegate actuators will affect that. my turbos would drop a pound of boost off before i shimmed the actuators. now they don't
Old 11-26-2005, 07:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 91 TT Stealth 05 EVO
Mellon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

the first step would be to do a pressure test.. you could be boosting the atmosphere instead of the engine with a significant leak. If everything checks out then I'd shim the actuators some.

**video**

Upload your 3/S videos here http://3svideo.vidiac.com and post www.racevideoforums.com

Intake: E16G turbos, DR Stage III heads, DR Race cams, Unorthodox Cam gears, Stock MAS, 6" K&N air filter, HKS SSBOV, Vacuum Reduction, custom 2.5" intake pipes and Dejon FMIC
Ignition: MSD 8.5mm spark plug wires, NGK non-resistor non-projected R5671A-8 gapped at .026, HKS Twin Power DLI
Electronics: Greddy Turbo Timer, Greddy E-Manage Blue, Greddy Profec E-01, MMCD and Palm, LM-1 Wideband + RPM Converter
Fuel: Blitz 720cc injectors, Denso 310lph fuel pump, Fuel pump Hotwire , relay bypass, IPO SX Fuel Pressure Regulator and Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump
Exhaust: Titan TD05 Headers and 02 housings, EGR Blockoff Plates, ATR downpipe, Twin Borla mufflers
Driveline: RPS MAX 6-Puck Clutch and RPS Flywheel, 17" Enkei RPF1 (16lbs each), Nitto 555 Extreme, TEIN S-Tech springs and KYB GR2 Struts
Other: Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, Krankvents
Mellon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2005, 11:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Is shimming the best way to go, or should I buy new actuators with say a 12 psi spring? I guess what Im asking is will shimming permanantly fix the problem or just maybe temporarily?
Old 11-26-2005, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
access denied

Drives: red
Boostaddict is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 70 reviews

Stock actuators have an adustable rod so you don't need to actually shim them... just increase the preload a bit. This will not harm anything. If you preload them too much you might increase the minimum boost you can run though. Regarding the surging, do you know it was true surging (did it sound like a choo choo train)? I had big dyno surging problems and it turned out to be partially related to mismatched wg actuators, and partially due to collapsing intake pipes that were choking off the turbos as the turbos created vacuum. Since you are running the stock acuators it would be easy to check to make sure they are working properly. Apply pressure to the actuator ports and verify they open at the same time.

Wayne
11.22@137.6 - what is traction? (2009)

March 2010 ROTM
Boostaddict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2005, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

SnakeSkinner Level 4SnakeSkinner Level 4SnakeSkinner Level 4SnakeSkinner Level 4SnakeSkinner Level 4SnakeSkinner Level 4SnakeSkinner Level 4SnakeSkinner Level 4SnakeSkinner Level 4SnakeSkinner Level 4SnakeSkinner Level 4
Feedback Score: 39 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke
My car went to the dyno today with a newly installed menthanol kit from snow. The car was surging on the dyno (not bucking or missing), and we thought there was too much methanol. Also, turning the set up on the bc to 100 gave me only about 18 psi, with dr500s (I normally get 17psi with a 70 set). So, turned the methanol off and gave it a semi-run, still surging at higher boost levels (18)but not at 16-17 psi. Also the ic pipes were pretty hot which makes me wonder if the turbos arent being worked to death. Would wastegates cause this surging and prevent me from making more that 18psi? Or is this a turbo problem? I had never noticed this before because I never tried to run more than 18psi.

spark blow out...

93 RT TT 8.74@168.5mph @3600ft First into the 9's, First into the 8's
2001 Dodge Viper GTS Heads/cam/Paxton 909 rwhp
95 RT TT 604 awhp 611 awtq (DR750's, and stock motor)
94 ZR1 Corvette 12.09@114 mph @3600ft
95 3000GT VR-4 10.56@136mph- 714 AWHP & 607 AWTQ (dr-900's) (sold)
92 Stealth RT TT 10.69@133.45mph @3600ft (dr-800's) (sold)
95 RT TT 10.88@129.1mph @3600ft (sold)
http://www.alamogordoselfstorage.com/
There are 2 ways to make a car fast.
#1 use the Right combo of parts
#2 Throw so much money at it that the car has no choice but to be fast.
I choose #1

Click for 3S Fastest ET list
Better to be a racer for a moment then a spectator for a lifetime
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelict." John Calvin Coolidge
SnakeSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2005, 05:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Captain Obvious

Drives: 92 VR-4
DJ_Duck is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Crappy wastegates won't cause surge, they can cause spiking, overboosting, low boost, and no boost, but not power surging (not to be confused with compressor surging). Start looking into what your AFR is, check plug gap like Matt suggested.

Occam's Razor: It's probably the methanol kit, figure out what you screwed up installing it.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeSkinner
spark blow out...
The surging Im experiencing during 4th gear pulls on the dyno is a smooth surge. It sounds like more power for about 2-3 seconds and then less power for 2-3 seconds. I thought spark blowout was more like quick little misses in the power. Can spark blowout cause this kind of surging? Also, Matt what would you think about dr500s only making 18psi or so with the boost controller turned up all the way? What might be the problem? (The car was pressure tested right before going on the dyno).
Old 11-26-2005, 10:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Duck
Crappy wastegates won't cause surge, they can cause spiking, overboosting, low boost, and no boost, but not power surging (not to be confused with compressor surging). Start looking into what your AFR is, check plug gap like Matt suggested.

Occam's Razor: It's probably the methanol kit, figure out what you screwed up installing it.
Would you explain to me what compressor surging means and what causes it?

AFR is 11.5/1 across, plugs have been gapped to about 32 but are iridium. Im putting in some coppers soon to see if that is the problem. Everything on the methanol kit seems to check out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.